• Advertisement

Learning Making my First game

Hello, My name Is pillowdo, so I have alot of question but let me first tell you what I'm aiming for.

1) Making a game Becouse I have ALOT of free time I want to make use to

2) programming is one of those things I really wanted to learn 

3) I'm not excpecting anyone to even download my game even if it was good so this isn't aiming for the money

4) so If I'm not here for the money and just to learn programming then why make a game? insted just learn the language Right? not really I want to make a game for experince too, so if I decided to make a nother game, Then I would know what I'm doing and it would be alot more easier and I would know the amont of work and money it would take, so Experience is another reason

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things I don't excpect 

1) Money, I know this will probebly make nothing but I'm not here for it

2)Time, I don't excpect this to be easy or short, most good indie games take a long time, Like the famous game stardew valley, it took the developer 4 years and each day around 10 hours =14,000+ hours, he had a part time job too               

3)Good Game, I know its not possible to make a game as good as GTA5, WoW, God of War, Halo ...etc They take YEARS to make even with hundereds of Artiest and developers but it IS  possible to make a game Like stardew valley if you really put Some Hard work and ALOT of time into it 

(you Might have relised I keep talking about stardew valley, I won't make a game on the same idea I will be original but The game really insperies me, as well as alot of other games but SV must be one of the most)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(EDIT: I forgot to mension this, I'm going for a 2D art style. it makes BIG diffrence in PL & The Engine so I thought I'd say that)

The questions:

1) The Programming Language, There are so many Languages and people say "Its a preferance and there isn't much difference" but I want to make sure about that point, + It also depends on what engine your going to be using which brings me to the second point 

2) Engine so I've seen ALOT of Engines and it mostly goes down to The price but I don't think that's a issue I can download it for free Online and get The Original if my first game can over it ( considering I make something) 

3)Art style so I'm reaaaaaly confused on this point and I know there are So mannnyyyy kinds of art style but let me tell you what I'm looking for

a) I like art styles like , Warcraft 3, stardew valley Maybe, FATE And  GraalOnline classic it dosn't have to be the same but atleast something around that style that I enjoy looking at

b) I Will go for a 2D style game, like Stardew valley and Graal Online classic, 

c) I know there are websites that give you there drawings and art and everything but you have to credit them in your game, I want to make everything and all the credit by myself and Maybe one of my relatives will join me IF I understand how this works and find him a role he Might Like (Like art for example ) 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Note:  I don't mind If the game takes 4-5 years of development, as long as I find passion and enjoyment then It will really pushs my limits to the max 

Advertisement

I would recommend using Unity. It has a massive community and good documentation/tutorials. It's accessible to beginners while being good enough for pros. You'll learn a lot using it.

Your enthusiasm is great. One thing to remember is that your first game isn't going to be good, even if you manage to spend 4 years on it! You start out by first making simple games that take weeks and slowly work your way up to making complex games that take years. Good luck and have fun :)

An article that is often helpful to get some initial answers below.

I agree with yyam, start small, probably smaller than you're thinking now. Programming expands very quickly to the point of overwhelming, so better err on the too-small side :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By getoutofmycar
      I'm having some difficulty understanding how data would flow or get inserted into a multi-threaded opengl renderer where there is a thread pool and a render thread and an update thread (possibly main). My understanding is that the threadpool will continually execute jobs, assemble these and when done send them off to be rendered where I can further sort these and achieve some cheap form of statelessness. I don't want anything overly complicated or too fine grained,  fibers,  job stealing etc. My end goal is to simply have my renderer isolated in its own thread and only concerned with drawing and swapping buffers. 
      My questions are:
      1. At what point in this pipeline are resources created?
      Say I have a
      class CCommandList { void SetVertexBuffer(...); void SetIndexBuffer(...); void SetVertexShader(...); void SetPixelShader(...); } borrowed from an existing post here. I would need to generate a VAO at some point and call glGenBuffers etc especially if I start with an empty scene. If my context lives on another thread, how do I call these commands if the command list is only supposed to be a collection of state and what command to use. I don't think that the render thread should do this and somehow add a task to the queue or am I wrong?
      Or could I do some variation where I do the loading in a thread with shared context and from there generate a command that has the handle to the resources needed.

2. How do I know all my jobs are done.
      I'm working with C++, is this as simple as knowing how many objects there are in the scene, for every task that gets added increment a counter and when it matches aforementioned count I signal the renderer that the command list is ready? I was thinking a condition_variable or something would suffice to alert the renderthread that work is ready.

3. Does all work come from a singular queue that the thread pool constantly cycles over?
      With the notion of jobs, we are basically sending the same work repeatedly right? Do all jobs need to be added to a single persistent queue to be submitted over and over again?

4. Are resources destroyed with commands?
      Likewise with initializing and assuming #3 is correct, removing an item from the scene would mean removing it from the job queue, no? Would I need to send a onetime command to the renderer to cleanup?
    • By francoisdiy
      So I wrote a programming language called C-Lesh to program games for my game maker Platformisis. It is a scripting language which tiles into the JavaScript game engine via a memory mapper using memory mapped I/O. Currently, I am porting the language as a standalone interpreter to be able to run on the PC and possibly other devices excluding the phone. The interpreter is being written in C++ so for those of you who are C++ fans you can see the different components implemented. Some background of the language and how to program in C-Lesh can be found here:

http://www.codeloader.net/readme.html
      As I program this thing I will post code from different components and explain.
    • By LifeArtist
      Good Evening,
      I want to make a 2D game which involves displaying some debug information. Especially for collision, enemy sights and so on ...
      First of I was thinking about all those shapes which I need will need for debugging purposes: circles, rectangles, lines, polygons.
      I am really stucked right now because of the fundamental question:
      Where do I store my vertices positions for each line (object)? Currently I am not using a model matrix because I am using orthographic projection and set the final position within the VBO. That means that if I add a new line I would have to expand the "points" array and re-upload (recall glBufferData) it every time. The other method would be to use a model matrix and a fixed vbo for a line but it would be also messy to exactly create a line from (0,0) to (100,20) calculating the rotation and scale to make it fit.
      If I proceed with option 1 "updating the array each frame" I was thinking of having 4 draw calls every frame for the lines vao, polygons vao and so on. 
      In addition to that I am planning to use some sort of ECS based architecture. So the other question would be:
      Should I treat those debug objects as entities/components?
      For me it would make sense to treat them as entities but that's creates a new issue with the previous array approach because it would have for example a transform and render component. A special render component for debug objects (no texture etc) ... For me the transform component is also just a matrix but how would I then define a line?
      Treating them as components would'nt be a good idea in my eyes because then I would always need an entity. Well entity is just an id !? So maybe its a component?
      Regards,
      LifeArtist
    • By kane david
      I want to start learning Level Design, so what are the main topics I have to learn about  specifically? since I learn on my own, so I don't want to drop something that could be important, and if there are some suggested books or courses to start from.
    • By Pooria1987
      Greetings to you all,
      I intend to build a 3D engine in C++ (I'm experienced with C++) targeting PC (OpenGL for sure and maybe Direct3D too), mostly as a hobby and to learn how it works at a low level. I've done some research and come up with these two books:
      3d math primer for Graphics and Game Development (2nd edition) Game Engine Architecture (2nd edition), By Jason Gregory Also at first I want to use an existing physics engine like physx or bullet and then maybe go for developing my own one later after I put the rest of my engine together. Now since for sure there are a lot of experienced people here I want to ask you which other books/resources do you recommend I study to help me implement my engine.
  • Advertisement