What engine should I use for my first real game?

Started by
1 comment, last by Infinisearch 6 years, 6 months ago

Hello, I’m a new dev looking to work on my first real big project and was unsure what I should program it with. The idea for the game is a classic rpg format, no overworld, just 2d maps to explore with the character and various NPCs and shops to interact with. Rather than having traditional battle systems I wanted to utilize a visual novel type interrogation system to reflect the detective mystery theme the game has rather than just having fights. I began to play around with RPG Maker VX Ace for this because it made most aspects easier. But found that it was not ideal for adding in my own art assets, though possible. And was also worried about implementing the visual novel aspects. Is there any other engine that might work well for this? I am willing to work with the difficulties of implementing my own more complex systems, but would prefer to hear if one engine will work better than another, so I don’t get too far in a project before realizing it can’t be done. Unity is the only other engine I’ve given some attention to. Thank you ahead of time for any help given!

Advertisement
8 minutes ago, Zallred99 said:

But found that it was not ideal for adding in my own art assets, though possible.

Out of curiousity what was the problem?  RPGmakerVX/MV might be the easiest way to go about what you want to do... just implement a custom battle system.  Unity would be a good choice but you'll have to implement alot more stuff on your own, although you might find something on the asset store to help with that.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement