Light Alternative to Unity3d

Started by
5 comments, last by zizulot 6 years, 4 months ago

I like unity3d but the installation size is too big. the package itself is 1GB and the installation is 5GB. What are some good, easy 3d game engines similar to Unity that have smaller file sizes? Excluding engines that lack editors like level editors, world editors etc, with an easy enough scripting language, physics and good documentation.

Advertisement
1 hour ago, sprotz said:

the package itself is 1GB and the installation is 5GB.

Can I recommend you only download the parts of Unity you want. I have the core engine, the mobile modules and documents it's roughly 2.5GB.

I think Unity the core engine without the documents is less than 1.8GB and less than 600MB to download.

1 hour ago, sprotz said:

3d game engines similar to Unity that have smaller file sizes? Excluding engines that lack editors like level editors, world editors etc, with an easy enough scripting language, physics and good documentation.

That is a problem. Most engines smaller than 500MB is going to have no editor, that is how they are so small.

Panda 3D is the smallest powerful game engine I know. It is a code based engine. There is editors for Panda3D, user made, it uses Python so it is very easy to use. It has a well constructed framework and can produce good looking 3D games. Download is at around 80mb.

25 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

I think Unity the core engine without the documents is less than 1.8GB and less than 600MB to download.

Yes, but Unity 5 all versions are 1.2 GB. I can't find smaller installations.

Meanwhile I will check out Panda3d and its 3rd party editors.

You could give Urho3D a look. It's pretty light.

So your concern is not about the game you make, but about the download size?

The installer is 600 KB.  You can pick and choose which features to download, the only piece you truly 'need' is the core, 491 megabytes to download, 1.6 GB extracted and installed.

If you go with the MonoDevelop environment that's another 42 MB downloaded, 107MB extracted and installed.  The standard assets, if you want them, are 181 MB and they stay extracted.  Together with the base, that's 714 MB to download and 1.9 GB on disk.

I can understand that being painful in remote areas or with metered connections, but that is fairly small size, especially if you have bandwidth to surf the modern Web where many individual pages are 5+ MB downloads.

Its nothing like Unity , but Game Maker Studio is pretty light, but all engines will require a lot of stuff to be downloaded, like SDK JDK etc etc

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement