Isn't blender is good for texturing?

Started by
11 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 6 years, 5 months ago

Please reply me about this

Advertisement

I think we need more information about what you are doing.  What do you know?  What game engine are you using(if any)?  Describe the game you intend on making.

Blender is actually pretty good for texturing.

If you go for hand painted textures Blender is great. It has layers and color bleeding options that allow you to do some good stylized textures.

If you want realistic textures Blender is among the best software to bake with for games. You can then use these bakes and masks in Photoshop or gimp with masks to create realistic textures. For example if you wanted snow on a model you would bake a Object normal use the top color as a mask and mix a snow texture with the other texture; this is how textures where made in the past.

For a more modern workflow you will want to look into software like Substance Designer and Substance Painter. It allows you to see and edit your textures while working with them. Substance does have problems baking textures, so you will need Blender to work with it to get clean models.

Substance Designer is more important than Substance Painter; both are worth the cost.

Blender is a professional 3D modeling tool, chances are that if it can't do what you need then no 3D modeling tool can and you need a other type of software.

Thanks guys

5 hours ago, kburkhart84 said:

I think we need more information about what you are doing.  What do you know?  What game engine are you using(if any)?  Describe the game you intend on making.

I planned to make a game like star citizen and also I panned to use the unity uscript, I want good textures so I choose picaflux but it could not satisfied me so I choose blender now

Hmmm, just be careful you aren't biting off more than you can chew.  Projects get really complicated really quick.

That being said, Blender can do textures, but I like something like Substance Painter better.  Substance Designer is good for making materials, while Painter is good for actually applying those materials, although it can also create materials directly too.

13 hours ago, KARTHI said:

picaflux

Can you link the software? I don't think I heard of it and google can't find it for me.

13 hours ago, KARTHI said:

planned to make a game like star citizen

That is going to take a few years. The textures in the game isn't amazing but it is good, it isn't the kind of texture a new artist can make from scratch.

If you plan on making the game in one or two years you should go directly to Substance Painter. It allows you to edit material colors and things like that easy and you can then use materials made by others: https://share.allegorithmic.com/ This is a website where you can download ready to use materials for Substance.

If learning is your goal then you can take your time with Blender and Gimp/ Photoshop. Just be warned that achieving textures like the ones used in Star Citizen can take years of practice. Making models like that takes even longer to learn.

8 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Picaflux?

www.pixaflux.com

3 minutes ago, KARTHI said:

www.pixaflux.com

Thanks. It works the way substance Designer would. It's easier to use than Blender and Gimp/ Photoshop because you can see what you are doing. You will still need 3D software like Blender to bake the textures to use with PixaFlux.

PixaFlux isn't bad, you just need to understand the math behind textures to use it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement