Position Based Dynamics Frictional Constraint

I'm trying to implement a frictional constraint using position based dynamics, but it is only half working. I am using the formulation in the paper "Unified Particle Physics for Real-Time Applications".

Here is my implementation:

Particle *np = particle->nbs[j].neighbour; 

vec3  r = particle->x - np->x;
    float r_length = glm::length(r);

float distDiff = r_length - restDistance;

if(distDiff >= 0 ) continue;

//Frictional Constraint
    vec3 n   = r/r_length;
    vec3 xxi = particle->x - xi[particle->getIndex()];
    vec3 xxj = np->x - xi[np->getIndex()];

vec3 tangentialDisplacement = (xxi - xxj) - glm::dot(xxi - xxj, n) * n;

float td_length = glm::length(tangentialDisplacement);

float genMass = ( imass / (imass + imass) );

if(td_length < (staticFriciton * distDiff)){
        particle->x += genMass * tangentialDisplacement;

np->x += -genMass * tangentialDisplacement; 
    }else{
        float upper = kineticFriction * distDiff;
        particle->x += genMass * tangentialDisplacement * std::min(upper/td_length, 1.f); 

np->x += -genMass * tangentialDisplacement * std::min(upper/td_length, 1.f); 
    }

Half working how? What problems are you having, what is it doing that is different from what you think the code should be doing?

Here is a youtube link to the working penetration constraint:

And a link tot the failed friction constraint (Friction constraint applied after penetration constraint):

And I just realized that only the else statement gets executed in this part of the code:

if(td_length < (staticFriciton * distDiff)){
        particle->x += genMass * tangentialDisplacement;

np->x += -genMass * tangentialDisplacement; 
    }else{
        float upper = kineticFriction * distDiff;
        particle->x += genMass * tangentialDisplacement * std::min(upper/td_length, 1.f); 

np->x += -genMass * tangentialDisplacement * std::min(upper/td_length, 1.f); 
    }

Edited by 7th_Continuum

distDiff will always be negative, otherwise there's no interpenetration. So the answer is yes. 

I'm thinking the tangentialDisplacement is being calculated wrongly because everything largely depends on it. It is perpendicular to the contact normal, a dot product gives zero.

The other thing I am not sure about is the which interpenetration distance to use, the one from the penetration constraint or the one from the friction. The paper does not make this clear.

Hoping someone has implemented one before, I can't find a reference anywhere.

Edited by 7th_Continuum

If (upper/td_length) is always negative then those std::min calls are redundant because they would only take effect if the value is > 1.  Mainly what I was concerned about was:  Often when min or max calls are done, someone is thinking of magnitudes (i.e.  "make sure the magnitude is between 0 and 1") but accidentally misses the fact that the value is not a magnitude, but can be negative (in which case you would either want to get the magnitude using the absolute value or clamp between -1 and +1).

I'm not familiar with the system you're trying to implement; I'm just looking at "suspicious" code based on my own experience with bugs :)

Edited by Nypyren

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By komires
      We are pleased to announce the release of Matali Physics 4.0, the fourth major version of Matali Physics engine.
      What is Matali Physics?
      Matali Physics is an advanced, multi-platform, high-performance 3d physics engine intended for games, virtual reality and physics-based simulations. Matali Physics and add-ons form physics environment which provides complex physical simulation and physics-based modeling of objects both real and imagined. The engine is available across multiple platforms:
              Android         *BSD         iOS         Linux         OS X         SteamOS         Windows 10 UAP/UWP         Windows 7/8/8.1/10         Windows XP/Vista What's new in version 4.0?
               One extended edition of Matali Physics engine          Support for Android 8.0 Oreo, iOS 11.x and macOS High Sierra (version 10.13.x) as well as support for the latest IDEs          Matali Render 3.0 add-on with physically-based rendering (PBR), screen space ambient occlusion (SSAO) and support for Vulkan API          Matali Games add-on  
      Main benefits of using Matali Physics:
              Stable, high-performance solution supplied together with the rich set of add-ons for all major mobile and desktop platforms (both 32 and 64 bit)         Advanced samples ready to use in your own games         New features on request         Dedicated technical support         Regular updates and fixes
      The engine history in a nutshell
      Matali Physics was built in 2009 as a dedicated solution for XNA. The first complete version of the engine was released in November 2010, and it was further developed to July 2014 forming multi-platform, fully manage solution for .NET and Mono. In the meantime, from October 2013 to July 2014, was introduced simultaneous support for C++. A significant change occurred in July 2014 together with the release of version 3.0. Managed version of the engine has been abandoned, and the engine was released solely with a new native core written entirely in modern C++. Currently the engine is intensively developed as an advanced, cross-platform, high-performance 3d physics solution.

If you have questions related to the latest update or use of Matali Physics engine as a stable physics solution in your projects, please don't hesitate to contact us.

View full story
    • By JoshKlint_34394
      Today we are pleased to announce the release of Leadwerks Game Engine 4.5.
      Version 4.5 introduces support for VR headsets including the HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, and all OSVR-based hardware, allowing developers to create both room-scale and seated VR experiences. The Leadwerks virtual reality command set is robust yet incredibly simple allowing you to easily convert your existing 3D games into VR titles. To help get you started the source code for our Asteroids3D game has been updated for VR and is now freely available in the Leadwerks Games Showcase.
      Leadwerks Game Engine is uniquely well-suited for VR because of its fast performance, ease of use, and the availability of C++ programming for demanding VR games. Several optimizations for VR have been made including combining the rendering of both eyes into a single culling step. The stability and accuracy of Newton Game Dynamics means we can have in-depth physics interactions in VR.

A new VR game template has been added to provide common VR features including teleportation locomotion and the ability to pick up and interact with objects in the environment.
      Visual Studio 2017
      We've also upgraded Leadwerks Professional Edition to build with Visual Studio 2017 so you can take advantage of the very latest Visual Studio features. Instructions for upgrading C++ projects from version 4.4 to 4.5 are available here.
      Other Improvements
      Added fog settings in editor and into map file format. New joint scripts and enhancements. Updated to Steamworks 1.41 You can pick up Leadwerks Game Engine with a discount during the Steam Winter Sale.
      About Leadwerks Software
      Leadwerks Software was founded in 2006 to make game development easy and fun. The company launched Leadwerks Game Engine on Steam in January 2014 and has experienced steady growth, now with over 20,000 paid users.  Leadwerks Game Launcher was released as an early access title in September 2015, allowing developers to publish games to Steam Workshop with no submission fee.

View full story
    • By khawk
      Urho3D 1.7 has been released. The release for the open source, cross-platform 2D/3D game engine includes a number of new features and bug fixes, including new IK support, AppleTV platform support, WebAssembly support, improved font rendering, better integration with Bullet and Box2D, renderer improvements, and more.
      Download the release and view the full changelog at https://urho3d.github.io/releases/2017/08/19/urho3d-1.7-release.html#changelog.

View full story
    • By khawk
      GameDev.net member @Bleys has released a C++ library that may be useful for game developers.

Called DynaMix, the library:
      You can access the repository at https://github.com/iboB/dynamix and documentation at https://ibob.github.io/dynamix/.
      Learn more from the thread:

View full story
    • By khawk
      Reddit user Wafflyn made useful Blueprint and C++ cheatsheets for anyone using UE4. From the post:
      UE4 Blueprint Cheat Sheet: http://uecasts.com/resources/unreal-engine-blueprint-cheat-sheet
      UE4 C++ Cheat Sheet: http://uecasts.com/resources/unreal-engine-c-plus-plus-cheat-sheet

View full story
  • Popular Now