• Advertisement
AFV

Music Practicing Middleware/Interactive music

Hello,

I'm trying to get familiar with making interactive music via middlewares, but I'm not in projects that use this tools currently.

So, I was wondering if someone can recommend me a way to practice things like layering, combining loops, transitions in a middleware without the need to be in a project that use middlewares.

I would like to train this before I get to a project that actually use this technology, as an anticipation. Because maybe then I will be overworked if I have to learn everything having a deadline.

Thanks ^^,

Albert.

Advertisement

Some middleware apps come with tutorial projects that you can load sounds into and run. That would be one way to get around it. I've also seen games where you could purchase the code and change out sounds and such to make that work as well. It depends on what middleware you're in and what they offer. 

Depending on what middleware you're practicing I'd consider starting up your own project in a free engine like Unity or Unreal Engine. You could set up a simple set of triggers in this engine and use them to test whatever you're practicing. This would also teach you a little about implementing the interactive music into these engines which may be useful in the future.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy you could try to find creative ways to simulate a game environment. Have a friend tweak variables as you listen, things like that. 

On 10/23/2017 at 4:22 PM, AFV said:

I would like to train this before I get to a project that actually use this technology, as an anticipation. Because maybe then I will be overworked if I have to learn everything having a deadline.

Is your problem the middleware workflow, knowledge of audio editing tools, or the actual music aspect?

3 hours ago, jkuehlin said:

Is your problem the middleware workflow, knowledge of audio editing tools, or the actual music aspect?

I've never used a middleware.

I've made interactive music sending the developer various audio files that needed to be muted or unmuted depending on the gameplay.

so, what I need more is the middleware workflow, implementing, etc...

I see. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I'm about to in the next few weeks. I'm just now beginning to experiment with middleware.

@AFV, i'll tell you how I was planning on 'practicing' for myself...My plans was to use that stupid ass roll-a-ball demo from the Unity shop and just make random zones and change music up when the ball rolls over difference place on the map or runs into different objects. Does anyone else know if there is a reason that won't work? What I really want to know how to implement is cue-ing additional multi-track stems under certain game conditions, then withdrawing them under contrasting conditions.

I understand what you're asking about layering loops, and I'm anxious to get in there and screw with this stuff myself. I personally don't give a shit I'm practicing on, because I figured the mechanics of the technology are what you would end up applying to a paid project later anyway. @nsmadsen, why do you have to buy a game to practice this stuff? Can't you do this with the already finished tutorials on the Unity site? You can download the finished game and you have access to all the code.

...and AFV, one other thing I was wanting to do was add and subtract multi-stem loop layers independently of zones. For example, if a players hit points drop below 'x', then the music speeds up as he's about to die...or the music gets heavier as the players life gets lower. I can conceptualize this, but if anyone else has actually done this in Wwise, and wants to share the process, I'd love to hear it!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By Erik Nivala
      So, as the title says i am trying to figure out a good way sync all that information with other players in Unity. My problem is that i can't come up with a good solution since i am used to creating classes for everything e.g. attachments are its own class and then the weapon would save a reference to that attachment. But since you can't send custom classes over [Command] & [ClientRPC] i am a little stuck. A solution for this would be giving each attachment for a slot a unique ID and then passing the ID to other player but i feel like that is very error prone if other ppl add a new attachment or the IDs get mixed up.
      Is there a "standard" way that this is usually done that i am missing?
      I am fairly new to programming so any help is appreciated!
    • By Catalin Danciu
      Hello,
      In the hopes that my thread is not off-topic or offensive in any way, I dare to ask the following "noob" question:
      what would be the correct way to create sprite animations from 2D *.bmp files?
      I have for reference the 2001 game  Desperados:Wanted Dead or Alive.
      with the help of some tools i found , I was able to extract files containing what seems to be animation frames and frame shadow masks for animating a horse.
      Attached are the archived assets.
      My goal is to recreate the demo level of the game using Unity, for educational purposes.
      I have started by loading the background map layer (also a large bmp file), and next step is to load a 2d character object and animate on the perspective.

Horse_Brown.rar
    • By JoAndRoPo
      While going through a Game Design Document Template, I came across this heading - Core Game Loop & Core Mechanics Loop. 
      What's the difference? Can you provide some examples of an existing game?  Suppose if I am including these topics in a Game Design Document, how should I explain it so that my team can understand? 
    • By HomeBrewArcana
      Hey All,
      I'm looking to get into the gaming industry. I've skirted around the idea for a long time, always thinking that I couldn't do it. I've finally decided to take the plunge.

My question is whether it's worth going to school for game design/coding etc. I've been writing content for paper games for a while, and have a good idea of story and some basic design. But I have next to no technical know how. 

My instinct is that such things can be learned with a lot of practice, video tutorials, and more practice. I've also heard that a degree is not really that important, since you get hired based on your portfolio/prototypes. Why not just make the games?
      But won't a degree help with contacts and mentoring--I'm not a great networker.

Of course, it'll plunge me into more debt, but...
      If anyone has advice, let me know. Also any idea of a program to start with: Game Maker, Unity, Godot, Construct, Stencyl--I've heard good things about them all, so much so that I don't know which would be best to start with!

Thanks
    • By Jemme
      Hello,
      I have built games in the past in unity and XNA, android SDK etc. but it’s always been quite specific, when building a small Game Engine or more accurately a sub-set of code that is reusable across projects the tendency to structure the project falls towards composition of objects that are more "generic" than toward inheritance-based models.
      For the Engine specific sub-systems, we have components such as a MeshInstance/Renderer that contains a Handle to a Mesh in a MeshLibary and a handle to a Material from the material library which in turn hold PSO data etc. We can also have Components such as SoundSorce, which are managed by an AudioSystem and contains the data to specify what sound, at what volume etc.
      These systems can be Set up and shut down from within the Engine/Game class such as:
      void Engine::Run() { if (Initialize()) { //Main loop call the systems //Dispatch Events } ShutDown(); } void Engine::Initialize() { //Init all sub-systems FileSystem.Init(); RenderSystem.Init(); PhysicsSystem.Init(); AudioSystem.Init(); WorldManager.Init(); //Creats Entities } void Engine::ShutDown() { //shutdown all sub-systems WorldManager.ShutDown(); AudioSystem.ShutDown(); PhysicsSystem.ShutDown(); RenderSystem.ShutDown(); FileSystem.ShutDown(); } But where does logic go? in smaller games like XNA or SFML you generally create some managers, let’s take the example of darkest dungeon.
      They have various managers like:
      Darkest Dungeon Manager Campaign Selection Manager Estate manager Party formation manager Town manager etc.. All the logic and systems to run the game are based within the managers, and objects contain scripts of data that are fed thorough the systems.
      In a small reusable code base how would you separate the logic from the engine, should like the smaller games all the managers just be shoved into the Engine Class even though that goes against a reusable data-driven framework? Should they just be stuck in a GameLogic system that's is initialized in the Engine Initialism function. And how do people tend to connect data scripts to the other various engine systems without causing too much game specific coupling. For example, you can use an Event System, but firing and event such as DAMAGED_BY_ZOMBIE and having the internal engine respond to that seems to break the separation from the low-high level of the engine system.
      Would be great to here some opinions from the community on this subject as it is quite a vital and potentially problem prone aspect of engine/game development.
      Thanks.
    • By zminusone
      Over ninety minutes of solemn gloom and Gothic epicness, with faint glimmers of hope shimmering here and there...
      https://zminusone.bandcamp.com/album/unworthy-ost
      Hi, I just released the soundtrack to the new indie game Unworthy. I had fun making it and thought maybe some people around here would have fun listening to it!
      Cheers!
    • By Liquifire
      I'm making an small 2D engine using Kha and I have a timer class, which basically simply either waits a certain amount of time to call a function, or repeatedly calls a certain function after every x seconds. I simply want to know if I should have timers run on different threads. I'm aware that makes sense, but I might use many timers in a game for example, would that still be okay? Also I'm currently writing an animation components, which waits every x seconds to draw another image using the timer class. And in a normal 2D games, I would have many objects with animations on them, other than the other timers. So I just wanted to ask people who have more experience and knowledge than I have what I should do for timers: Either leave them on the same main thread, or make them run on different threads. Thanks in advance.
    • By CpawsMusic
      **The game must be in the final stages of development and be close to release. Willing to do SFX or Music for free since Horror games heavily interest me.**
      Hey there! My name is Cpaws and I compose music, sound effects and overall sound design for video games and film. I've worked on numerous games and I'm looking to specifically pick up a Horror game.
      If you're interested in working together, don't hesitate to contact me at cpawsmusic@gmail.com
      Here's a few demo reels of my past projects: 
      Game Music I've Composed: https://soundcloud.com/cpawsmusic/sets/cpaws-video-game-film-music
      Website/Portfolio: https://CpawsMusic.com/
      E-mail: cpawsmusic@gmail.com
    • By nihitori
      This is the official Sales topic for the acclaimed Colossal Game Music Collection (100+ five-star ratings on the Unity Asset Store) and its Lite version, the Essential Game Music Collection.

Updates will be made here every time a sale is taking place on either the Unity Asset Store or the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

Current Sales:

Summer Sale on the Unreal Engine Marketplace -

- Colossal Game Music Collection at 60% OFF - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/colossal-game-music-collection

Please feel free to post here any questions you might have about either the sales or the collection itself.
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!