• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AxeGuywithanAxe

DX11 Visual Studio Visual Debugger

I wanted to get some advice on what everyone thinks of this debugger, I've been getting some strange results from testing my code and I wanted to see if anyone else had an issues.

For instance, I added three "ClearRenderTargetView" calls and three "Draw full screen quad" calls and my reported fps became a fifth of what it usually was. Thank you.

Advertisement

Visual Studio Debugger is considered by a lot of people to be the best on the market today.  I know a couple Linux programmers who have a windows installation on their computer just so they can use the VS Debugger since GDB is horrid and very much outdated (IMO).

Also, frames per second is a meaningless measurement honestly.  Work out milliseconds per frame.  Also, its running in a debugger, of course it's going to slow down considerably.  Your code is being run IN the debugger which is monitoring hundreds if not thousands of variables/functions/statistics/etc.

I live by the Visual Studio Graphical debugger. I have never seen additional calls like you are referring to though.

Every single item that shows up in the analysis, shows exactly how I asked it to (unless I have stuffed up of course - but that's what the debugger is there to highlight).

Are you sure your code is correct?