• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DividedByZero

OpenGL Origins of Open GL libraries

This topic is 393 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

With OpenGL not having a dedicated SDK, how were libraries like GLUT and the likes ever written?

Could someone these days write an OpenGL library from scratch? How would you even go about this?

Obviously this question stems from the fact that there is no OpenGL SDK.

DirectX is a bit different as MS has the advantage of having the relationship with the vendors and having full access to OS source code and the entire works.

If I were to attempt to write the most absolute basic lib to access OpenGL on the GPU, how would I go about this?

Advertisement

There hasn't been a DirectX SDK in more than seven years. The requisite files are built into the development environment. Same deal with OpenGL. You don't ask about the SDK any more than you ask about the SDK for iostream. The headers and libraries are there by virtue of having a sensible build environment for your target platform in the first place.

Similarly, there are platform specific calls to fire the whole thing up in the first place. Once the platform implements OpenGL support, the functions are all part of that same environment.

Correct, the DX SDK is now part of the platform SDK (as is your iostream example). You can't use any functions without them. The DirectX portion being written by Microsoft.

So this doesn't really answer my question about Open GL though. How did any of these libraries come into existence if the Kronos group didn't write them? Was it just 'some dude on the street'? And if so, how?

Edited by lonewolff

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!