I want to start programming, but I have no idea how to begin

Started by
9 comments, last by Bozemoto 6 years, 5 months ago

So, for quite a while I've been wanting to start programming games but I have no idea how to actually begin programming. I wouldn't want to make anything too complex, just a pixelated 2D platformer kinda like Megaman. (though I'm not sure how hard it would be to program something like that)

So first of all what programming language should I learn first? I know C++ is really good, but I've also heard its really hard to learn, so I would like to know if there are any other really good programming languages that are more beginner friendly.

And second, what game engine should I use? I would like to find a good game engine that's free and not too complicated to use. I know that Unity exists, but I don't know if its good for 2D games, since most of the Unity games I've seen are 3D. And also, what should I use to make the graphics and the music for the game?

Advertisement

Try Gamemaker 2.0. You can learn programming concepts with it and make a game at the same time.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Unless you know for sure that game development is your passion and you're in it for the long haul (and you're a bit masochistic, perhaps), I wouldn't start with C++. Go with Gamemaker or RPG Maker or one of the other "starter kits" to get a feel for what it actually takes to make a game.

Once you've done that, you can consider learning a more advanced programming language, depending on what is you want to do. Some good replies in this thread.

I'm a bit confused; do you want to learn game dev or are you interested in learning the fundamentals of programming?

Hi Piittis!
Same here, i also try to learn c++.  If you want to create games, i recommend you Unity. They have on their official website great c++ tutorials, and the software is free for your personal use (i guess you will have to pay if you finally start to make money on your games - but better check the terms on their site).

25 minutes ago, Orywiel said:

Hi Piittis!
Same here, i also try to learn c++.  If you want to create games, i recommend you Unity. They have on their official website great c++ tutorials, and the software is free for your personal use (i guess you will have to pay if you finally start to make money on your games - but better check the terms on their site).

Unity does not use C++. Unity uses C#.

Unreal Engine 4 uses C++.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Man, that was really stupid mistake i did. Sorry, i confused c++ with c#. ... but still, if you want to learn creating games, unity has some cool tutorials.  

Java. Start with Java. Java  teaches you the basics of programming and will help lead you into more complex languages such as C++

On 10/25/2017 at 2:47 PM, Alpha_ProgDes said:

Try Gamemaker 2.0. You can learn programming concepts with it and make a game at the same time.

Another good one is Clickteam Fusion 2.5. You can make some pretty good games with minimal programming knowledge. I believe Five Nights At Freddy's used it?

Piittis I see alot of people suggesting different engines and that's fine but here's the thing. Why are you doing this? Cause the motivation is really important here. If you have some game that you have in your head that you have to get out then find the best tool to make that game, probably some engine. Just take care to keep your expectations in check if this is the case. If perhaps you feel like game development would be an interesting hobby and it is the game making side of things you're interested in then pick one of the engines preciously suggested and go through a few tutorials and see what you think. If you've decided that you're going to go into game development and that anything you do is in service of that goal then pick your path accordingly. If you're looking to become a level designer then an popular engine like unity or unreal is a good choice, if you're wanting to enter the technical side of things with engine programming and render pipelines then I'd recommend either going to a university to pick up some of these skills or to do it as a hobby over many years. The technical computer science path is the hardest path, since it can be very unrewarding to hack away at something for days on end with little progress to show. 

So short answer, search yourself and figure out what it is that you're really after. And let that guide you.

Video Game Programmer.
5 years in industry.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement