• Advertisement
_WeirdCat_

C++ Template class with two types but one :X

For editor purposes i want to change my matrix class which for now is

template <class T> class Matrix44 {

template <class T> class Matrix44

however i would like to multiply lets say Matrix44<float> with Matrix44<double> i could do this by adding

template <class T, class T2> class Matrix44

But this would require me to define every matrix44 as <float, double> etc. which is not an option since i have hundreds of such vars.  The change in code would be significant if not i would have to rewrite tenth thousands lines of code.

Maybe theres a quick solution to this

I woukld like to multiple world matrix by viewmatrix and projection matrix thus world matrix would be double and rest would be float

so for now i have 

Matrix44<T> operator *(Matrix44<T> mat) which forces me to use only one type.

There should be a way to use other type 

Matrix44<T> operator *(Matrix44<T2> mat)

any thoughts?

Advertisement

Why do you not add a constructor to your matrix class for constructing a matrix from a given matrix with a different type; a generalized copy constructor? Do not make the constructor explicit and you will have implicit conversions for the arguments passed to your overloaded operators.

Edited by matt77hias

Why not just stick to one type(float preferred) and remove the templatization? This is classic over-engineering with templates. Much of your code won't need a double type 4x4 matrix.

Yeah, you could eigther add a templated copy ctor, or a templated multiplication operator:

template<typename T2>
Matrix(const Matrix<T2>& m)
{
}

template<typename T2>
Matrix operator*(const Matrix<T2>& m)
{
}

The ctor is more general and extensible, though can result in unwanted conversions, especially if you do not make it explicit.

Btw, out of interest, is there really a general compelling reason to have the world-matrix as double? I've never seen or heard of such a thing, always all matrices have had the same type of float.

I personally wouldn't allow mixed-type operations like this to performed, at least not easily (or accidentally).

An explicit copy constructor that can convert between types provides a good balance between functionality and usability. Plus, there's only a single place in the code where you have to worry about type conversion issues, which is a plus:

template<typename U>
explicit Matrix(const Matrix<U>& m)
{
}

18 hours ago, Zipster said:

An explicit copy constructor that can convert between types provides a good balance between functionality and usability. Plus, there's only a single place in the code where you have to worry about type conversion issues, which is a plus:

THB, if you are doing the explicit constructor I'd personally go for an explicit conversion method instead:

template<typename Type2>
Matrix<Type2> To(void) const
{
  return ...; // eigther have an explicit ctor public/private as well or define conversion here
}  

Might just be personal preference, but I find it easier to read/write:

Matrix<double> mWorld;

matrixTranslate(Matrix<float>(mWorld));
// VS
matrixTranslate(mWorld.To<float>());

don't know if there's some objective merit to prefering the explicit ctor, but I've been adopting the method-approach for my projects' math classes so far, just though I'd throw it in there.

I would go with the templated multiplication operator suggested by @GDnetplus, it's narrowly targeted to support only the operations you want to support, and it follows a pattern you'll find in the standard library which makes it unsurprising.

On 10/26/2017 at 7:29 AM, WiredCat said:

template <class T> class Matrix44 {

For matrix operations specifically this is rarely done in games.

In practice each form is heavily specialized, and often written with SIMD instructions unique to the type being created.