Help required to select the right tool/s/w for Game Development

Started by
6 comments, last by shyamgv 6 years, 5 months ago

Hi Folks,

Background: I'm a Cloud Apps Development Architect, and through out my career I have worked on Java Technologies, Node JS and a bit of Objective-c and PHP.

I have a game in mind  and I want to turn it into an actual mobile game. It would be a 2D brain game that would involve 2 players when off-line the player will play with the computer as the other player and when online he/she can play with another player. 

Now there are many tools/softwares out there which I can get started with but I want to assure that I choose the right one. Because neither the software should be too narrow for my requirement or too complicated and large that is not required for me because there will be a steep learning curve otherwise. I can code and that wouldn't be a problem but I just want to choose the right s/w. I did a bit of reading but not having enough knowledge into Game Development I'm not able to take a decision. 

Can anyone please help me out with some suggestions, I'll be really appreciative. 

Thanks

Thanks

Shyam

Advertisement

As a start: do you want/need it to be native app?

• Yes
    • Do you want it easy?
      • Yes --> IDK, I'm pretty sure Cordova, Xamarin and Ionic are a thing. I'm not sure what's their state though.
      • I'm up to the task --> native platform for each. Android studio & Java. For Apple IDK.
      • I'm hardcore --> go truly native C++ and share your logic across platform. Farewell life.
  • No
    • Make it a web page with offline mode
    • Angular does not currently support static deploy anymore
    • Maybe with the right tool, electron?
    • Sure thing: you want a language to help you. You want types. Types help your mind scale instead of recalling what gets passed where. Typescript melds into node.js very well.

So start by elaborating. What do you want to do, how much do you want to invest, money, time everything; define the thing better than people clicks on device.

Previously "Krohm"

Thank you Krohm for a quick response.. I see tools like Corona, Cocoon, Unity can make the game look more appealing and its easy/fast to achieve the goal instead of going for a native iOS or Android development. Which of such a tool would be an ideal one for the kind of requirement I posted earlier.

Thanks

Shyam

54 minutes ago, shyamgv said:

Unity can make the game look more appealing

Unity is a good flexible choice. It will be what most people recommend and with good reason.

Cocoon is also nice, the problem with this one will be if you need help with the game. Cocoon isn't that well known so less people have experience with it.

1 hour ago, shyamgv said:

I have a game in mind  and I want to turn it into an actual mobile game. It would be a 2D brain game that would involve 2 players when off-line the player will play with the computer as the other player and when online he/she can play with another player.

With brain games you need to know your audience if you plan on making money. I have helped a few developers make these now and can tell you that if you don't aim for the right audience it will have a hard time earning money.

Your aiming for parents with kids for these games mostly. Don't make it too child friendly with too many bright colors and don't give your modes silly names like "Baby mode" it annoys everyone and your audience isn't babies. Most of the people downloading these games are young couples who will be handing there phone to the kids.

This is only advice, you are free to ignore it and try your own thing. With games it's hard too know what will succeed and what won't.

Thanks a lot @Scouting Ninja.. this was really helpful and yes you are right about not making the game look very childish. May be I should go with Unity... On a different note.. since u have intensive experience in working with such games, at a high level is it possible for you to tell how much it might cost to get a Unity developer to finish my size of project. I know its difficult to tell but at-least some guidance in the matter would do.

Thanks

Shyam

1 minute ago, shyamgv said:

to get a Unity developer to finish my size of project.

It depends on what you want. I know of Freelancers who will do all you need for around $500, however this comes with a huge risk.

At the start of this year I work as a artist on a project where the client used only emails to arrange a developer. The developer then used Unity's key system to build his own license into the game and blackmailed the publisher into paying a ransom. Under the threat that the successful game would be removed from the store as copyright infringement.

You can avoid all these kinds of problems by hiring a professional development team. They cost more but they are registered companies and so would never cross the law as it would work against them. They also offer advertising, have tons of marketing info and experience. They guarantee a good quality.

as such they are expensive although at max they would be $60 000 and that would be for a full package. These teams are also flexible and over much lower prices if you don't need it all. I think you could get a mobile game for around $5000.

For a more accurate quote you should ask in the Business forum. Specify what you need and what you want. Many people on this forum make games for a living and can provide you with pinpoint accurate quotes.

If your looking to hire you can make a post in the Careers forum and you can even build a team by hiring Contractors there. I will point out that member with scores here would be easier to reach, as they are active members here.

Will do that.. and sure that would be of great help... Really appreciate ur help..

Thanks

Shyam

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement