New here coming from financial programming

Started by
4 comments, last by frob 6 years, 5 months ago

Hello,

For the past ten years I have developing automatic trading software (see portfolio https://www.mql5.com/en/users/mt-coder/publications) apart from my publications I have served clients from around the world.

Now I have decided to engage in the cool world of games programming.

My questions to the community are the following :

1. Can I have a job opportunity in games programming ? So that I can have hands on experience, because there is no better way to learn then to practice.

2. Where should I start my learning process ?

Kind regards

sHrung

Advertisement
3 hours ago, sHrung said:

1. Can I have a job opportunity in games programming ? So that I can have hands on experience, because there is no better way to learn then to practice.

1. It's extremely unlikely that anyone will hire you to learn on the job.

2. Try our For Beginners forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

4 hours ago, sHrung said:

You could join a hobby project they are often in need of programmers and don't complain much if you are still learning. It's just not financially rewarding.

4 hours ago, sHrung said:

You already know programming so that is a huge plus. Start by making a game, even if you don't know how. That way you can see where you hit the dead end.

1, There's a job out there in the gaming market for everyone, you just have to go and look for the right one. It will be a little difficult at first because you don't know games programming, but you have to start somewhere.

2. Google! lol. You'll find the basics there, work your way up! And as you do, see what part of programming you're really good at.

I recommend reading the book, "What Color Is Your Parachute".  

Among the many chapters of job-advice goodness is a section about transitioning between different jobs, roles and industries.

From your description you are trying to make two transitions. One is a transition between industries, the other is a transition between roles.

You might try for one transition at a time, first transition to the other industry doing the same job and then transition between roles, or to first transition to the new role in your same industry and then transition between industries.  It is more difficult and more rare to do both transitions at once, but it can happen.

Since your experience seems to be mostly in server development, it seems that applying for jobs working in game servers would be one of the easier transition options.  After working for a time in the game industry in a server programmer role, you would then do the smaller transition to game client development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement