• Advertisement

My violin recording mixed into a project (interested in input)

So I got all excited about participating in the Final Fantasy 30th anniversary tribute and put this arrangement together, and I used my new equipment (Steinberg recording pack) for integrating my violin into it. I didn't do much of anything to it. I had a mic stand and the mic positioned right at the f-holes, recorded into Audacity, which just put it into the left channel. So I just duplicated the track and swapped the channel so that the recording could be heard in both ears. Obviously it's going through convolution reverb. The recording quality leaves quite a bit to be desired, to me, but tell me what you think or suggestions on how this could improve (i.e. from a technical standpoint), or whatever other sort of feedback. It's obviously a budget setup, but I wonder how well this would be received in the industry. Thanks!

Edited by JoshCzoski

Advertisement

First off - some really nice playing! I think it would be fun to work with you on a project where I need live violin! So cheers on that front! 

Some technical things I've noticed: 

- The violin, as a solo instrument, feels pretty far back in the mix. There's not much mid to low end in the sound of the violin. I'd see if you could give the sound of the violin a bit more body and fullness to it. You could do this in a number of ways: 

- EQ bump in the middle of the violin's frequency range

- also EQ out some of the highs and lows of the reverb plugin so you're letting the mids have more resonance 

- Add some compression so your softer notes come through a bit more and you lessen the harder/louder notes some

All in all - however, I really enjoyed it!

On 10/29/2017 at 10:35 PM, nsmadsen said:

First off - some really nice playing! I think it would be fun to work with you on a project where I need live violin! So cheers on that front! 

Some technical things I've noticed: 

- The violin, as a solo instrument, feels pretty far back in the mix. There's not much mid to low end in the sound of the violin. I'd see if you could give the sound of the violin a bit more body and fullness to it. You could do this in a number of ways: 

- EQ bump in the middle of the violin's frequency range

- also EQ out some of the highs and lows of the reverb plugin so you're letting the mids have more resonance 

- Add some compression so your softer notes come through a bit more and you lessen the harder/louder notes some

All in all - however, I really enjoyed it!

Yes it does sound really shrill to me. I'm afraid I'll have to look into how to do the things you mentioned though (I'll have to get around to it - busy time with the day job at the moment). D: But thanks for giving me a lead on how to improve the sound!

Yeah imo virtual instruments are mostly pretty bad for anything solo ;) Yes I've contributed violin to other projects in the past and that can be a fun gig!

Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By malevicius11
      Hello, community.
      Half of my free time I'm spending on electronic music. Also I'm a big fan of video games.
      I have a old mind to try self in video games OST production.
      In this topic I putted some demos to ask You:
      1. Is it worth my time to regroup for games soundtracks?
      2. You see potential for music of games production or not?

My demo tracks:

Thank You for the answers.

• By Descent
      Wow what a wild game by GalaXa Games Entertainment Interactive. Play now... it's really fun but IF you have epilepsy then don't play. It does not feature flashing pictures, but there is lots of animated stuff that might get ya. Anyway, 4 levels, 2 endings, insane action, BY INFERNAL. Please play it, right nao! Also , nice midi music composed by me is in the game.

demons.rar
    • By Hannibal The Composer
      Howdy-ho!
      I am an experienced composer/musician/sound designer looking for projects to involve myself with!
      I have 16 years of experience in composing and 5½ years of experience in sound design.
      If you need ANY kind of music / audio to your game, movie or whatever, hit me up or send me an e-mail at secrethannibal@gmail.com

You can find a small show-reel of my work below!

• By nihitori
      The Heavy Metal Vol. II pack focuses on powerful heavy metal/hard rock music, perfect for energetic, fast-paced, and challenging action games.

The pack includes 5 original tracks, all available as both full tracks and seamless loops, so that you can very easily use them in your games.

Unity Asset Store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/110450
      Unreal Engine Marketplace: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/heavy-metal-vol-ii

A 15 seconds preview of each main track is available on Soundcloud:

• By JandersonComp
      My name is Jonathan Anderson. I am a professional composer with multiple publications. I have a degree in music composition from the University of North Texas and I have been writing music for over 20 years. If you would like a list of my accomplishments I would be more than happy to email you my resume.
      More to the point. This is my demo reel.

While my demo reel advertises a significantly large range of composition styles it does not encompass my entire range (a demo reel that did would be longer than anyone would be willing to watch).

I have been working with people in both professional and personal settings for over 14 years now and am extremely easy to work with. I believe that music in many ways can make or break a game and it is my goal to provide your game with the musical life that you desire and it deserves.
      If you are interested in using my services you can contact me via email at composer.jonathananderson@gmail.com

Thank you for your interest!

-Jonathan
  • Advertisement