JoshCzoski

My violin recording mixed into a project (interested in input)

So I got all excited about participating in the Final Fantasy 30th anniversary tribute and put this arrangement together, and I used my new equipment (Steinberg recording pack) for integrating my violin into it. I didn't do much of anything to it. I had a mic stand and the mic positioned right at the f-holes, recorded into Audacity, which just put it into the left channel. So I just duplicated the track and swapped the channel so that the recording could be heard in both ears. Obviously it's going through convolution reverb. The recording quality leaves quite a bit to be desired, to me, but tell me what you think or suggestions on how this could improve (i.e. from a technical standpoint), or whatever other sort of feedback. It's obviously a budget setup, but I wonder how well this would be received in the industry. Thanks!

Edited by JoshCzoski

First off - some really nice playing! I think it would be fun to work with you on a project where I need live violin! So cheers on that front! 

Some technical things I've noticed: 

- The violin, as a solo instrument, feels pretty far back in the mix. There's not much mid to low end in the sound of the violin. I'd see if you could give the sound of the violin a bit more body and fullness to it. You could do this in a number of ways: 

- EQ bump in the middle of the violin's frequency range

- also EQ out some of the highs and lows of the reverb plugin so you're letting the mids have more resonance 

- Add some compression so your softer notes come through a bit more and you lessen the harder/louder notes some

All in all - however, I really enjoyed it!

On 10/29/2017 at 10:35 PM, nsmadsen said:

First off - some really nice playing! I think it would be fun to work with you on a project where I need live violin! So cheers on that front! 

Some technical things I've noticed: 

- The violin, as a solo instrument, feels pretty far back in the mix. There's not much mid to low end in the sound of the violin. I'd see if you could give the sound of the violin a bit more body and fullness to it. You could do this in a number of ways: 

- EQ bump in the middle of the violin's frequency range

- also EQ out some of the highs and lows of the reverb plugin so you're letting the mids have more resonance 

- Add some compression so your softer notes come through a bit more and you lessen the harder/louder notes some

All in all - however, I really enjoyed it!

Yes it does sound really shrill to me. I'm afraid I'll have to look into how to do the things you mentioned though (I'll have to get around to it - busy time with the day job at the moment). D: But thanks for giving me a lead on how to improve the sound!

Yeah imo virtual instruments are mostly pretty bad for anything solo ;) Yes I've contributed violin to other projects in the past and that can be a fun gig!

Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Announcements

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By Djinotan
      Hello!
      My name is Dmitry Motorin and I've been a hobbyist musician and music writer for about 5 years. For now I haven't been too active looking for projects that need sounds or music.
      I wrote music and sounds for many games. I write in different styles, such as - ambient, casual, blues, battle, epic, kid, jazz, electric, rock, country, orchestral and others. There is some of my works - Djinotan music
      And there is a video to whom i made a sound - 
      1.  Intro for A.S.H. indie game
      2.  Gameplay A.S.H game 
      My contacts:
      Mail - motorindmitry87@gmail.com
      Skype - Djino1208
      Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004161284063 
    • By INFRA
      Hello there,

I am Pierrick Querolle, I am a french professional sound designer and music composer and I’m looking for collaborations on projects.

I essentially worked for short films, animations and some music productions. With the passion for the immersive and technical power of video games and a collaboration with a video game localization company, I would like to dedicate myself to the audio and musical conception of your future projects.

► [AAA] Video Game Demo Reel - French Assistant Dubbing Editor : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7k1nSB0Xfw
      ► « And Then… » Demo - Unreal Engine 4 Project : https://youtu.be/4Oq88jB9wsY?t=4m25s

About my favorite worlds, I really like Sci-Fi and Horror genres, all types of gameplays combined (Shooter, Platform…)
      Musically open-minded, I am able to compose as well ambient themes as Epic Hybrid Orchestra themes. The combination of orchestral and electronic textures is one of my assets.

► An example with « Neopolis », one of my compositions : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTnMybTLchI

My areas of expertise :

• Interactive Music Composition
      • Studio & Field Recording
      • Sound Design
      • Audio Editing & Mixing
      • Audio Implementation

The guarantees of our future collaboration :

• A passionate professional composer and audio engineer
      • Operational and complete workflow for any kind of commercial project
      • Creation and treatment of audio files with professional tools, used by AAA studios
      • Proficiency with Unity 2017 & Unreal Engine 4 [+ Wwise & FMod]
      • Available, cooperative and self-motivated

Because there is some work to do and sometimes the audio gears are an investment, I can’t work for free (only paid or royalty contract accepted).

You can find more content on my website, on my portfolio : https://pierrickinfrasound.wixsite.com/infra-sound
      If you would like to contact me, please send me an email at pierrick.infrasound@gmail.com

Thank you for your consideration !

• By CpawsMusic
      Hey there! My name is Cpaws and I compose music, sound effects and overall sound design for video games and film. I'm looking to work on a horror game mainly for fun and as an addition to my portfolio. I've used Unity & Wwise before for audio implementation.
      If you're interested in working together, don't hesitate to contact me at cpawsmusic@gmail.com
      Here's a few demo reels of my past projects: 
      Here's some snippets of some quick game music I've composed: https://soundcloud.com/cpawsmusic/sets/cpaws-video-game-film-music
      Here's my portfolio/website: https://CpawsMusic.com/
      E-mail: cpawsmusic@gmail.com
    • By nihitori
      Hello everyone!

I'm one of the creators of the Colossal Game Music Collection and, as we now approach the end of the first year in which the collection has been released, we are currently planning our first major update to it...  As such, we thought it would be cool to ask you guys first about what sort of music content indie devs are most looking for and what they think it's currently missing on the asset markets. We would truly appreciate your opinions on this, as it would be crucial to improve the quality and usability of our collection. Here it goes:

- Our first question is in regards to the type of music currently available to indie devs (for example "Action", "Horror", "Fantasy"...) and not just in regards to the game genre, but also to the type of instrumentation / production (for example "Electronic", "Orchestral", "Ambient"...). What type of game music asset types are you most in need these days and feel like they're lacking on the marketplaces?

- The second question is in regards to how the music itself is presented in the asset packs. For instance, we have been making 5 original tracks per pack available on the collection, available as both full tracks and seamless loops (sometimes with also smaller / longer versions available, as well as multiple small loops). Do you think this is the best approach? Or would you prefer the music to be presented in any other way?

Any other information you can give is also very much welcomed.
      Cheers!
  • Popular Now