• Advertisement

Top-down shooter / zombie survival. Plz try it!

Hi!

My game is coming along nicely and I would love some feedback.

You play as one (or two in co-op) survivor that must travel the land and survive the infected hordes, looners and bandits. You stop in locations but are always pressed as the hordes will start pouring in. Collect resources (food, fuel, medical supplies and ammo) and weapons and head for the goal!

Tips

• Always quickly switch to a melee weapon if running out of ammo
  • Loot everything if you have time to loot, including cartrunks
  • Choose locations that have the loot you need (such as gas station for fuel)
  • Try to avoid running out of fuel or having your car break down. Walking is dangerous!

Download (50 MB, works with windows only, you DON'T need dropbox to download):
Damnation road (beta 3)

screen1.png

screen2.png

screen3.png

screen4.png

Edited by suliman

Advertisement

Good idea!

Can you complete the "campaign" on medium or easy? (Reach the goal and survive the fight there?) I can barely do it on hard difficulty but I know all the features in and out.

I tried again and got to day 3 on normal, but I got another bug. My screen had the 'Damnation Road' night transition image stuck. Restarting the game fixed it.

So far, I can't get past the third day on normal, but the difficulty is good. Most games make normal difficulty very easy. When I click on normal, I expect a challenge.

What needs improvement is the controls and player awareness. Most of the time, I can't tell why my gun cannot shoot because my eyes are on the zombies. But the reload and jam signals are on the player. Maybe put those signals at mouse position instead, and make the reload/jam circle in white/light red because it's nearly invisible at night.

45 minutes ago, Michael Aganier said:

My screen had the 'Damnation Road' night transition image stuck

You mean a simple fade to black? Or did you see the main menu image (the photo of the road) in the middle of gameplay? Did you get this problem after a night-session? Or just randomly?

Noone else? Hundreds read this thread, but only Michael had some feedback?

Updated the link with the latest version (beta 1) (more sounds, zombies moan, some balance and UI issues, text feedback when you lack resources, car is getting old etc)

Edited by suliman

Updated the link with BETA nr 2. There is now scoring (and highscore), a new map, and your grandma is on contact with you via radio :)And loads of balancing.

Please download for some feedback!

The player awareness is much better (more icons, low ammo alert) and the character movement is smoother. I made it to day 8 while I couldn't get past day 3 before (normal difficulty). I got killed at the military roadblock because I wanted to spend my weakest weapons first. Have had used my best weapons, I wouldn't have been killed. Also, I didn't have any armor. I found multiple pieces at day 1-4, but I haven't got any more past that. None of traders would sell armor.

I  discovered many new enemies for the first time. Knowing much more about the game, I'm pretty sure I could complete day 10 on normal now.

The one thing that I would improve is pathfinding. I can abuse AI by moving to the other side of an object and he won't walk around it.

Good to see that you (and the game) are improving! :)

Just a note:
You dont win on day 10, you win by travelling the distance to the goal (2000 miles) and win the final confrontation. The days (time passed) only make the game harder and higher level (changes what enemies and items appear).

I'll look into armour spawning. It think you just got unlucky though as there should be armours for all levels. The "combat trader" sells melee weapons and armour while the "gun trader" sells firearms and ammo. He usually has some armour for sale. But the drop-rate for armour may be too low (and the ending is very hard with no armour).

Edited by suliman

New version is up! (link in first post)

You can now choose character. They have different starting equipment and different bonus skills.

Also, the ending is a little easier now, but still pretty hard!

I like the idea. I tried it again but I got a duplicate glitch which crashed the game on day 4.

This is what happened exactly:

1. I had 3 grenades on my character and 8 in my inventory.
  2. I moved my 3 grenades in my inventory.
  3. I dragged the 3 grenades on my 8 stack to merge them together.
  4.  The 8 stack didn't change and my 3 grenades transformed into 6.
  5. I wasn't sure what had happened cause I did it quick, so I dragged my 6 on my 8 again to merge them, and then the game crashed.
  6. I started the game again thinking I could continue at my last autosave, but the game started all over.

If you restarted the game, was there no "continue" button in the main menu? If it was, did it still restart the game? If you clicked the "lone wolf" button the game SHOULD restart from the beginning.

The savegame is only cleared if you die, which shouldnt happen in a UI-glitch like the one you describe. Anyhow ill look inte the inventory merge issue.

My bad. It's possible I didn't see the continue button.

I tried the beta 3 and I finally finished the game on normal without any problem. Now, I would lower the drop rate of guns to about 25% of current drop rate. There is way too many weapon drops, I had to discard dozens of weapons to be able to pick up other ones to see if they are better or not. Also, I would like the gold and thumbs buyers to always be present at camps. Since you only visit the camp about 3 times during the game, it's annoying to have farmed 10 stacks of gold and thumbs and no one to buy them at the end of the game.

I like the classes. It gives a reason to try the game again. The label on the camp sellers is also very convenient. I noticed the music for the first time though I'm not sure if it was there before. The game is definitely improving.

Cool thanks!

I will lowered the gun drop and risen the ammo drop late-game (you end up with many guns but canot shoot them). I also fixed the inventory bug you found.

I will make crazy joe always show up in camp, that's a good idea!

The music has been there for 3-4 versions :) Any idea on how to make the end fight more fun? It's rather primitive right now.

The final human fights are fine, but there is no final zombie fight. I would make it that after you defeat the soldiers at the end, you have to survive another day for the scientists to prepare your departure. Unlike the rest of the game where you just move on after a firefight, you can't leave the area so you will have to fight the hordes coming to your location from the noisy firefight before that. You'll have to survive waves of zombies which would possibly have 100 zombies at once with all different types seen in the game. You shouldn't lack firepower because you get all the guns and ammo of the military guys you defeated right before that (with time to scavenge the area).

On 11/19/2017 at 2:28 PM, suliman said:

Updated the link with BETA nr 2. There is now scoring (and highscore), a new map, and your grandma is on contact with you via radio And loads of balancing.

Please download for some feedback!

"Woodchuck to Grey Squirrel, come in Grey Squirrel!!!"

You need to find a place for this In Living Color reference;-)

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By owenjr
      Hi there.
      I'm pretty new to this and I don't know if it has been asked before, but here I go.
      I'm developing a game using SFML and C++.
      I would like to use the "Tiled" tool to load maps into my game but I don't actually find any tutorial or guide on how to exaclty use it (I know that I have to read an XML file and stuff). I just step into diverse projects that make all a mess. 
      Anyone knows where can I find good information to make my map loader by myself?
      Thanks in advantage!!
    • By GhostarWhite7
      Today again I painted the next drawing. I look at him and I understand that something is wrong in him. Can problems with the prospect or with black and white or with the composition or is everything terrible? help me figure it out, help.. My english is not very well, i'm from russia and i want to draw for game

• By MHG OstryTM
      Hello guys,
      I've released my game for the first time. I'm very excited about it and I hope you'll enjoy the game - Beer Ranger. It's a retro-like puzzle-platfromer which makes you think a lot or die trying. You have a squad of skilled dwarfs with special powers and your goal is tasty beer. There is a lot of traps as well as many solutions how to endure them - it is up to your choice how to complete the level! 
      Link to the project: Project site
      Link to the Steam site with video: Beer Ranger
      Have fun and please write feedback if you feel up to.
      Some screens: 

• By Manuel Berger
      Hello fellow devs!
      Once again I started working on an 2D adventure game and right now I'm doing the character-movement/animation. I'm not a big math guy and I was happy about my solution, but soon I realized that it's flawed.
      My player has 5 walking-animations, mirrored for the left side: up, upright, right, downright, down. With the atan2 function I get the angle between player and destination. To get an index from 0 to 4, I divide PI by 5 and see how many times it goes into the player-destination angle.

In Pseudo-Code:
      angle = atan2(destination.x - player.x, destination.y - player.y) //swapped y and x to get mirrored angle around the y axis
      index = (int) (angle / (PI / 5));
      PlayAnimation(index); //0 = up, 1 = up_right, 2 = right, 3 = down_right, 4 = down

Besides the fact that when angle is equal to PI it produces an index of 5, this works like a charm. Or at least I thought so at first. When I tested it, I realized that the up and down animation is playing more often than the others, which is pretty logical, since they have double the angle.

What I'm trying to achieve is something like this, but with equal angles, so that up and down has the same range as all other directions.

I can't get my head around it. Any suggestions? Is the whole approach doomed?

Thank you in advance for any input!

• By Allagia X
      An original fantasy RP game needs dedicated, self-motivated, and chill individuals! We have a story and general plot already set up, ready to be expanded upon. 

Miasma: Twilight Decree is a 2D roleplay adventure game. It’s set in a unique fantasy world with a vast map containing continents and oceans alike. Players are given one objective: to endure the troublous environments Allagia have to offer and successfully progress through time to reach the Age of Technology. The stakes are high, and every character’s actions can alter the world – or reset everything back to the beginning ages. MTD features a blend of survival aspects, dark themes, with the ability to make a mark in the history books.

What we're currently looking for:

• Writers - Super creative individuals who have experience in lore-making, world-building, and know their way around fantasy writing. All of the general elements are here [setting, plot, etc.] and need some "fluffing out"[quest lines, clans/ factions/ families, etc.]. Bonus points to those who can whip up spells and skills.
      • Artists - Mainly those who specialize in pixelated art, or people who can make concept art [since we lack pictures]. 
      • Project Manager - Someone who is organized and can keep this project on the rails. As thorough as I am, it's difficult to cover all the bases on my own. 
      • Other Positions - Anything else to fill in the gaps. We currently use Wikidot for our wiki; someone with CSS and syntax experience to polish it up would be awesome. A musician/ composer for all things musical. Way later down the road, we'll need community managers, DMs, and the such, though it isn't necessary at the moment. 

Other information:

I've been working on this project since the beginning of 2017 with a group of friends. Life basically prohibited a lot of us from continuing on with it, and it went on hiatus for a while. I'm making an attempt to bring this back from the dead since plenty of time and effort went into it beforehand. It goes without saying that I also have a passion for roleplaying. 

I cannot stress enough that anyone interested should be into fantasy settings or D&D. Otherwise, you're probably not going to have fun with helping!

We do have a Patreon with a few supporters, and Discord. Until things really start moving, we'll be using Discord to collaborate. 

For any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to comment below or add me on discord @ Allagia X#9174 [best method of contact] for more info about this project.
  • Advertisement