Game Idea

Started by
10 comments, last by Rkozy 6 years, 5 months ago

After daily work, i still want to practice my program skill. I am interest at game developing, when i decide to build to a game. I suddenly realized i am lack of game idea.

So, I want to know how you guys bring ideas to you mind. Or is there any good idea i could build with.

I have programming about two years, but was not work for a game company. I am familiar with javascript.

dreamer

Advertisement

For you first game, I would shoot for something you could get done in a week or two.

Think something simple as pong. While it isn't very exciting it is a good starting point. You could then try to modify your pong game to make it more exciting or pick a new project with slightly larger goals.

Making games is difficult. It is easy to gloss over details that end up taking a lot of time, so start small for now to build up some skill.

My current game project Platform RPG

If you're asking about inspiration and how to "be inspired" with fresh ideas, I'd say the best ways to find these ideas is to watch movies, listen to music, and read novels. I can honestly say that I have gotten more inspiration from watching a bunch of old movies and reading classic novels than from any other form of media. It might also help to look at two very different games with good story and mechanics and meld them into something unique. 

20 hours ago, Lang Li said:

So, I want to know how you guys bring ideas to you mind. Or is there any good idea i could build with.

I just think of a game that I'd like to play.  Sometimes it's just an existing game that I like, and then I think of what elements would make it more fun or more interesting... something that hasnt been done before.

If you cant think of ideas like that, then you can try to do different exercises to brainstorm.  For example: try taking two different game mechanics and mash them together.  Or take an existing game and remove some key element, and then consider how to make a fun game with that limitation.   Any time you have a starting idea and then impose limitations, you could end up with something new and different.  You just have to not be afraid to think of stuff that will be totally absurd.  There's a thin line between something that's not fun and a total failure, and something that's a huge million-selling hit.

54 minutes ago, 0r0d said:

I just think of a game that I'd like to play.  Sometimes it's just an existing game that I like, and then I think of what elements would make it more fun or more interesting... something that hasnt been done before.

If you cant think of ideas like that, then you can try to do different exercises to brainstorm.  For example: try taking two different game mechanics and mash them together.  Or take an existing game and remove some key element, and then consider how to make a fun game with that limitation.   Any time you have a starting idea and then impose limitations, you could end up with something new and different.  You just have to not be afraid to think of stuff that will be totally absurd.  There's a thin line between something that's not fun and a total failure, and something that's a huge million-selling hit.

I haven't thought about to change the mechanism of a existing game. I think i should play some games again to make idea come to me.

dreamer

Hmm, designers watch movies and absorb ideas from them, but, if you're a programmer, after a day of focusinh coding, you probably just want to watch a movie to chill, not to focus on it.

And that's good, because you want to be a programmer, not a game designer,

if you're just trying to teach yourself to program, i recommend to make a simple game and add mechanics to it from another genre,

for example i once played a tetris-game where a character walked over the blocks, iirc you had to keep him alive aka not block him in and crush him under your blocks.

granting speedboosts ina  shooter, cannons to a race-game or base-building to an RPG are just some things of the top of my head that aren't seen often in games but can(and occasionally are) done.

6 hours ago, Dramolion said:

Hmm, designers watch movies and absorb ideas from them, but, if you're a programmer, after a day of focusing coding, you probably just want to watch a movie to chill, not to focus on it.

I believe he was asking about how we get ideas for games to come to mind, not "how do I program". I might be wrong but that is how I understood the question. :) 

hello, try make clone of some existing game, then some own spice to it(nne)

GO my site please: http://www.thenew3d.website/

We can think for you.
But that you like the idea, it is better that you have your idea.
This article can help you.

While I fully support your goal in coming up with ideas for making a game, I also suggest that you may find coding or programming someone else's idea might be more inspiring; someone who isn't good at what you're good at.

Obviously it's a good decision to want to exercise your own creative talents, and you still should, but working together with someone who offsets your talents may be what gives you extra creative drive.

I understand that wasn't your question, but I feel like it may be helpful. :)

My Website and Bandcamp for music.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement