We are moving out of LibGDX. What should be our next engine?

Started by
8 comments, last by Senthil Kumar K 6 years, 5 months ago

I am using LibGDX for making games. We are planning to move to some other engine. What would you recommend?

We are planning to develop games for PC and Consoles. 

Advertisement

Seems an awkward way to go about things.  What if we recommend something that is popular for some types of games, but absolutely horrible for the game you want to make?

I'd figure out the game you want to make next, then use that decision to help pick the engines and tools that will best enable your goals. 

Maybe you'll be best served with a CCG engine if you're making a card game, or a 3D engine if you're making a shooter, or a tile-based engine if you're planning an older-style JRPG.  There are so many styles of games out there that whatever engine we suggest there will probably be something else that is better suited for your project.

Thanks for responding. I got what you are saying here.

We would like to keep our focus on 2D games. Desktop and Consoles are targeted platforms.

Mostly platformers and Real-Time Strategies...

Now, What will you recommend?

We could use more information...what budget do you have(if you have)?  What languages do you know and how well?

My favorite engine for the games you want to make is Gamemaker Studio 2.  It can port easy enough to almost all the important platforms and consoles...but it isn't free software.  Unity has a better free version, but it is overkill for the kind of games you want to make(though plenty have been done regardless).  I'd argue that for what it does, GMS2 is easier and better than Unity(and by "what it does" I mean nothing to do with 3d).

I like using Monogame personally. It is similar to libgdx in that it is just a framework and you are reaponsible for most of the code yourself. If you want a full fledged engine, I recommend trying Unity first since it is free and seems to be the most popular.

I would say MonoGame, too, as it's "close" (note the quotation marks). I'm not even a C# programmer, but I've taken a look into the code of MonoGame, since I'm working on my own engine, and I liked it.

Thanks for all the replies. 

I am more of a code first approach game developer. Mono might be suitable one. How about performance of Mono Game Framework?

What about it?  Many games use it.  Unity uses Mono.  The Sims 3 used Mono. The tool itself is not an issue.

Then Mono would be a good choice I think. Thank You guys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement