Game Design Student

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 6 years, 5 months ago

Hi everyone! I'm currently attending school to be a Game Designer. I want to eventually specifically specialize in level design. My question is do you have to be good at math to be successful in this field? I'm really awful at math and am not doing so well in the math class I am in now...should I consider a change of degrees or continue on knowing my math skills really won't get much better?

Thanks,

Lauren

Advertisement

Work harder, and smarter, on your math skills, if you haven't already. You can do this. Don't sell yourself short.

What level of math are you working on?

Try Khan Academy. Give it 30 minutes a day.

Take the course Effective Thinking through Mathematics.

Try using the textbooks on OpenStax for self-study.

<3

1 hour ago, ldrivera said:

not doing so well in the math class I am in now...should I consider a change of degrees or continue on knowing my math skills really won't get much better?

You can always consider a change of degree. But it would be silly to change it from something you're passionate about for such a silly reason. 

You DON'T "know" that your math skills won't get better. Don't give up on math.

Note that I never even bothered with your question about whether or not level designers need to know math. Bad question. Everyone needs to know math.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I should have worded that better...by math I meant very high level math. Not basic algebra and such.

No question is a bad question to be honest...simple one that needs answered..

To also note I have struggled with math since I was in elementary school. My mother took me for a day long IQ test in high school where they told me I was "math deficient" but I excelled at just about everything else. I've spend hours and hours trying to excel or even improve at math and I make very little progress. So yes, I do not see my odds of being able to effectively learn high level/college level math. 

Don't give up so easily. I did OK in geometry, not so great in trig, and really really bad in calculus. Yet I designed and produced video games. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement