Circle-Circle impulse resolution not working properly

I am doing a little physics project with circle circle collisions for now, and have tried to do impulse resolution for collisions with 2 circles, using the following code. 

relativeVelocity = (other.doVerletVelocity()).subtract(self.doVerletVelocity())
normDirecVel = relativeVelocity.dotProduct(collisionNormal)

restitution = -1 - min(self.restitution, other.restitution)

numerator = normDirecVel * restitution

impulseScalar = numerator / float(1 / self.mass) + float(1 / other.mass)

selfVel = self.doVerletVelocity()
otherVel = other.doVerletVelocity()

impulse = collisionNormal.scalarMult(impulseScalar)

selfDV = impulse.scalarMult(1 / self.mass)
otherDV = impulse.scalarMult(1 / other.mass)

newSelfVel = selfVel.subtract(selfDV)
newOtherVel = otherVel.add(otherDV)

self.oldPos = (self.center).subtract(newSelfVel.scalarMult(dt))
other.oldPos = (other.center).subtract(newOtherVel.scalarMult(dt))

The problem seems to be that whatever value I give to self.mass and other.mass, the output stays exactly the same, the values that I used are:

center = Vector(0, 0)
radius = 1
oldPos = Vector(0, 0)
accel = Vector(0, 0)
mass = 100
restitution = 0.001

center2 = Vector(0, 3.20)
radius2 = 1
oldPos2 = Vector(0, 3.201)
accel2 = Vector(0, -1)
mass2 = 1
restitution2 = 1

the output was:

0.0      0.0      0.0      2.165000000000114
0.0      0.0      0.0      2.1360000000001174
0.0      0.0      0.0      2.1066000000001206
0.0      0.0      0.0      2.076800000000124
0.0      0.0      0.0      2.046600000000127
0.0      0.0      0.0      2.0160000000001306
0.0      0.0      0.0      1.985000000000134
CIRCLE INTERSECTION
0.0      -1.985000000000134      0.0      3.938600000000271
0.0      -3.970000000000268      0.0      5.891800000000408
0.0      -5.9550000000004015      0.0      7.844600000000544
0.0      -7.940000000000535      0.0      9.797000000000681

I changed the values for the masses to make them higher, bu the output still remained the same, if you could get to the bottom of this, it would be much appreciated.

23 hours ago, Dirk Gregorius said:

I noticed this:

impulseScalar = numerator / float(1 / self.mass) + float(1 / other.mass)

You are missing parentheses:

impulseScalar = numerator / ( float(1 / self.mass) + float(1 / other.mass) )

I tried that, yet it has no effect on the values. When displaying the circles on the screen, using pygame module, it showed that after colliding, the circles moved in opposite directions, but with velocities faster than what they collided with.

Edited by Bob Dylan
I needed to add more information.

1 minute ago, Dirk Gregorius said:

Doesn't that appear strange to you? Obviously it should have an effect since :

n/a + b != n / (a + b) for any b != 0

It definitely is strange, yet what I described is the case. I think the error might be in the way that 1/mass is calculated because changing the mass when defining the particle object has not bearing on the resultant impulse.

17 minutes ago, Dirk Gregorius said:

What language are you programming in? It might be that it is the type promotion. Try 

float(1.0f / self.mass)

Either way, this should be easy to find. Simply debug and step through the code.

Are you supposed to deal with penetration in the collision detection phase, or the impulse resolution phase? I ask this because that might be what is throwing this off, because as soon as they collide, the circles make a large jump, which might be affecting their velocities as i am just approximating velocity as current position - old position divided by the timestep, since my velocity verlet implementation does not deal with veloicty explicitly.

Edited by Bob Dylan

Just now, Dirk Gregorius said:

You detect penetration in the collision phase. You can deal with it in the impulse phase or in a separate penetration recovery phase.

Thanks, I think that is what is causing the value of the velocities to be large after impulse resolution.

That means, I would first not worry about penetration recovery and don't support restitution. In particular getting penetration recovery and restitution work correct together can be tricky.

Edited by Dirk Gregorius

3 minutes ago, Dirk Gregorius said:

That means, I would first not worry about penetration recovery and don't support restitution.

But there was a rather helpful and in-depth tutorial that showed how to deal with it. Through I will follow your suggestion if my approach to change the penetration handling from the collision detection to impulse resolution section of the code and by the way - thanks for all the help and time that you have taken to help me. I'll let you know how it goes (if you care).

Edited by Bob Dylan

One thing I learned over the past years is that with software development in general and physics development in particular is that you want to come to a working solution as fast and easy as possible. From there you want to add one feature at a time always iterating on a working solution.

You are currently seeing yourself what a pain it can be to search for a bug without having an idea where to look. If you use a smart incremental approach this helps to keep problems manageable. That is why I suggest getting the simplest problem working first and then add one feature at a time (e.g. penetration recovery and restitution).

I don't know which tutorial you are referring to so I cannot comment on this. With game physics you have the problem that there are a couple of good references by industry experts and then a bunch of students essentially rewrite these tutorial for studying purposes and quite often introduce errors reflecting their lack of understanding. So when looking at in-depth tutorial make sure they are from people who know what they are talking about.

1 hour ago, Dirk Gregorius said:

One ... talking about.

I will take your advice on board when continuing with this simulation. However, if you want to inspect the tutorial I used, it is the following link.

https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-custom-2d-physics-engine-the-basics-and-impulse-resolution--gamedev-6331.

Hi there, Dirk's advice is trying to describe a method to debug your code. The idea is if you get a working solution, then whenever you make small changes it is easy to know what broke. From here finding problems becomes much easier.

The tutorial you posted is best used by referencing the source code in the final article. The source code is here: https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-custom-2d-physics-engine-oriented-rigid-bodies--gamedev-8032

Unfortunately I don't have time to manually step through your code to look for problems. The best thing you can try doing is to take Dirk's advice and start with a small working solution. From there you can modify the working code to look more like your own code, and replace piece by piece until something breaks. This can give you clues on where problems lay.

7 hours ago, Randy Gaul said:

Hi there, Dirk's advice is trying to describe a method to debug your code. The idea is if you get a working solution, then whenever you make small changes it is easy to know what broke. From here finding problems becomes much easier.

The tutorial you posted is best used by referencing the source code in the final article. The source code is here: https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-custom-2d-physics-engine-oriented-rigid-bodies--gamedev-8032

Unfortunately I don't have time to manually step through your code to look for problems. The best thing you can try doing is to take Dirk's advice and start with a small working solution. From there you can modify the working code to look more like your own code, and replace piece by piece until something breaks. This can give you clues on where problems lay.

Thanks for your advice, I realise that you do not have much time, but could I trouble you to explain to me when and were you deal with penetration, as I have since got the collision response working with restitution. If you would't mind, could you also explain to me how you would calculate the penetration vector for a circle-circle collision?

As at the moment, I am using this code:

PD = -(self.rad + other.rad) + math.sqrt(centDist)
angle = diff.xAxisAngle()
PDx = PD * math.cos(math.degrees(angle))
PDy = PD * math.sin(math.degrees(angle))
penetrationVec = Vector(PDx, PDy)
dP = penetrationVec.scalarMult(0.5)

self.center = (self.center).add(dP)
other.center = (other.center).subtract(dP)

While it does provide accurate enough collisions, it does however make the circles jump when I represent them on the screen. Thanks again.

Edited by Bob Dylan

I'd like to help but the question you're asking is very open ended. There isn't really a specific piece I can help you with here. I'd love to help, but it sounds like you're not sure where the problem is yet.

I would recommend adding a visual "step" by "step" debug system, so you clearly see when something goes wrong.

You can just use a bool to force to simulate one step or even step a single body pair. Its really hard to solve physics problems when you just look at the final output.

Render your bounding boxes + orientation and render your contact points inluding the surface normal and penetration distance. Start simple like dirk already recommended and build up from there.

Also making a realtime dragging tool to move/rotate two bodies around at realtime helps a lot!

I made such stuff in the past for javascript if you are interested: http://root.xenorate.com/final/jsstuff/

Edited by Finalspace

5 hours ago, Randy Gaul said:

I'd like to help but the question you're asking is very open ended. There isn't really a specific piece I can help you with here. I'd love to help, but it sounds like you're not sure where the problem is yet.

Here is the problem, as explicitly as I can describe it: sometimes, when my circles are moving with velocities not perpendicular to the X or Y axes, when they are supposed to collide, they just get stuck in each other.

This is not what it would be like in real life, and I know that I am supposed to somehow find the penetration vector of the circles and them move them apart.

Now what I want you to do is to tell me how to get the penetration vector and then when to move the circles apart from each other.

29 minutes ago, Bob Dylan said:

Now what I want you to do is to tell me how to get the penetration vector and then when to move the circles apart from each other.

That's not something answerable on a forum. You're basically asking how to create an entire physics sim. That said, the answers are in the link you posted earlier. If you can't find them in the link, I'm not really sure anyone can help you here.

29 minutes ago, Bob Dylan said:

Here is the problem, as explicitly as I can describe it: sometimes, when my circles are moving with velocities not perpendicular to the X or Y axes, when they are supposed to collide, they just get stuck in each other.

I appreciate the explicit description. I can't help you because what you are describing is not explicit, even though the description of it is clear. Your problem is vague, even though you described it nicely.

There are many reasons why circles may get stuck inside each other, and the problems could be anywhere. There is no simple answer of "how to make them not stick together".

Edited by Randy Gaul

One thing you can do is to setup similar situations both in Randy's and your simulators and step through them side by side. Or write down an analytical solution and confirm your results in debugger. The problem is that you need to debug your code and nobody else is going to do this for you.

Edited by Dirk Gregorius