Bloom

Started by
13 comments, last by maxest 6 years, 5 months ago

maxest has a point, you can still apply a threshold if it's what you want, it will have an effect on the look and that might be desired.

I'm just pointing out what the current "standard" approach is for compositing bloom, you don't need to follow it.

Advertisement
1 hour ago, Styves said:

maxest has a point, you can still apply a threshold if it's what you want, it will have an effect on the look and that might be desired.

I'm just pointing out what the current "standard" approach is for compositing bloom, you don't need to follow it.

Ergh, Fallout 4 has a threshold and it's glaring. The results of a threshold for bloom with proper HDR values introduces weird, non physical results. The idea behind bloom is that you are simulating light going through and being scattered by a lens, which it does in real life as your eye has a lens (well, an entire lens stack really), the brighter the part of your vision the more light from it will be scattered by the lens and the more obvious it will be. So scattering the whole thing is correct for both your eye and a camera.

And while you can just introduce a cutoff, it's rendering you don't have to do physically based anything, I found it a bit glaring and annoying in Fallout 4 for example, while the non cutoff method has never bothered me. At least personally.

22 hours ago, FreneticPonE said:

Ergh, Fallout 4 has a threshold and it's glaring. The results of a threshold for bloom with proper HDR values introduces weird, non physical results. The idea behind bloom is that you are simulating light going through and being scattered by a lens, which it does in real life as your eye has a lens (well, an entire lens stack really), the brighter the part of your vision the more light from it will be scattered by the lens and the more obvious it will be. So scattering the whole thing is correct for both your eye and a camera.

And while you can just introduce a cutoff, it's rendering you don't have to do physically based anything, I found it a bit glaring and annoying in Fallout 4 for example, while the non cutoff method has never bothered me. At least personally.

I'd never advocate for a threshold pass, I agree with you entirely. It can actually make aliasing worse since you're making the jagged edges more pronounced by increasing the contrast via threshold before you blur it.

I'd never advocate doing a threshold pass for bloom. ;)

Yeah, blooming the whole scene (as in Call of Duty) makes sense but only if you bloom on HDR target, where bright areas have way higher values than dark ones.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement