I need a lessons

Started by
5 comments, last by George Birinyi 6 years, 5 months ago

Welcome everyone! Some questions have arisen, I would like to ask for your help. Modular video game modeling. My 1st question: I created the wall models, from multiple elements.  Can i erase any non visible faces? (nonmanfold objects) can cause this problem? light calculation for example. My second question. isometric sci-fi tactical rpg I do not plan hostile hordes at one time. 5 - 10 enemy max. more polygon resources remain. I have a wall element that has 3k tri polygons that are 1.8k tri polygons, is not that too much? For Thx everyone and sry for english

untitled.png

Advertisement
On 11/7/2017 at 12:05 PM, George Birinyi said:

My 1st question: I created the wall models, from multiple elements.

Yes, as long as they snap to the same point. You do this by assigning the origin point.

Can i erase any non visible faces? (nonmanfold objects) can cause this problem? light calculation for example.

Absolutely, it's a common practice in games. If light shows through it has nothing to do with the fact that your model doesn't have a back. 

Environment light checks the distance objects are from each other, so if light is leaking out then extrude your mesh so it intersects the floor/wall/roof where the light leaks.

I have a wall element that has 3k tri polygons that are 1.8k tri polygons, is not that too much?

Depends on the platform and engine. Less polygons are better but not by so much as you would think.

The average modular asset in a AAA game is around 16k triangles for LOD0. The max is 50k at the moment, more than that and you start damaging performance.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Modular_environments

11 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Yes, as long as they snap to the same point. You do this by assigning the origin point.

Absolutely, it's a common practice in games. If light shows through it has nothing to do with the fact that your model doesn't have a back. 

Environment light checks the distance objects are from each other, so if light is leaking out then extrude your mesh so it intersects the floor/wall/roof where the light leaks.

Depends on the platform and engine. Less polygons are better but not by so much as you would think.

The average modular asset in a AAA game is around 16k triangles for LOD0. The max is 50k at the moment, more than that and you start damaging performance.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Modular_environments

Thank you very much for the helpful help!

16 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

I deleted non visible faces from all elements. Before 1.348 tri, after 1.168 tri. Can i use this faceless (3th picture) model on UNREAL ENGINE? (multiple elements) 

low_poly_01.png

Low_poly_01_before.png

Low_poly_01_after.png

low_poly_01.png

12 hours ago, George Birinyi said:

I deleted non visible faces from all elements. Before 1.348 tri, after 1.168 tri. Can i use this faceless (3th picture) model on UNREAL ENGINE? (multiple elements) 

Yes , it's even recommended. There is lots of advantages to cleaning a model like this. You get better poly count, easier to unwrap, more UV space on your textures and less chance that some of your faces are Z-fighting.

It's good practice when making game assets to delete faces that can't be seen.

Your work looks very good. Keep it up.

5 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Yes , it's even recommended. There is lots of advantages to cleaning a model like this. You get better poly count, easier to unwrap, more UV space on your textures and less chance that some of your faces are Z-fighting.

It's good practice when making game assets to delete faces that can't be seen.

Your work looks very good. Keep it up.

Thank you very much

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement