• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
matt77hias

Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

I am still working with Windows 8.1. But I kind of feel that it becomes problematic as graphics programmer to not switch to Windows 10.

So I consider an upgrade instead of a clean install (though if something goes wrong, I can do a clean install anyway by resetting the OS). I wonder if someone experienced issues with one of the following (very tangled) programs after upgrading:

• Visual Studio and its extensions
  • Steam/Origin/UPlay/GoG Galaxy and its games
  • Norton security

or if someone noticed issues with some other commonly used program or settings?

I will create a complete system image as a backup anyway just in case something goes wrong.

Edited by matt77hias

Advertisement

My current PC at home, which had visual studio, some audio tools, steam, etc. on it started life as a Windows 7 machine, then upgraded to 10 - everything still worked fine.

Is there btw a safe way or safe alternative to replace the imageres.dll of Windows 10 to change all icons back to Windows 8.1?

I remember that I tried this a few years ago on Windows 10 by using a dual boot (seemed faster than taking the disk out and plugging into another PC ;) ) because the imageres.dll was always locked. Unfortunately, Windows reverts the .dll on all major updates because the checksum is different I guess. This is also not the safest approach so an alternative would be nice as well?

Edited by matt77hias

The only problem I've ever had upgrading from Windows 7 -> 8 -> 10 was that the file associations for viewing .png/.jpg files got reset each time and I'd have to change them.  Visual Studio and all of my Steam and non-Steam games have always worked afterwards.  I don't use Norton so I can't vouch for it.

Edited by Nypyren

Ok, everything went fine and I am quite happy with Windows 10. The only software so far, I had problems with, was NSight for Visual Studio. But after reinstalling this, everything is fine again. :)