• Advertisement
ArThor

C# C# Game and Security/Source access

This topic is 396 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

To set the tone of my question, I'm currently working on a game made entirely in C#, all my own doing except the various third party libraries that it is built on, no engines. I don't know if I'll finish, or if it would be even remotely successful if I did finish but I would obviously like it to be.

I'm currently adding some support for scripting to the game to clean up logic and make my life easier, I'm using C# for scripting because why not? and loading code files that fit an interface class and compiling them at runtime and then I run the object as a script, it works nicely.

As I have been extending the scripting capabilities I have been thinking about the interfaces that I am exposing and how to separate the user scripts, the scripting system and the core of the game to create a clean system, easy to use, simple and secure... By secure I mean hiding my core game code and logic from those who might have nefarious intentions, like cheating or ripping off my ideas (I know, I know but I cant get it out of my head.). I have started to realise, c# reflection is going to open up all of my code and people can just decompile the whole thing anyway.

I think I already know the answer, "focus on making a game", but should I be taking anything into consideration with regards to security in this manner. Any styles of programming, techniques or technologies that I should be considering or relevant discussions I should be aware of. Or just give me some reassurance that I should be getting on with things.

Advertisement

There is no architecture, code pattern, design trick, compiler setting, or any other flavor of magic that can deter a serious reverse engineering attempt. You run the risk of making it more fun for the attacker if you get overly clever; they'll just be that much happier to defeat your protections.

If I were you I would think the opposite direction. Instead of trying to hamper efforts at using your code, go for broke. Publish the code (not the assets!) for free. Encourage modding and user scripting. Encourage people to break the game in entertaining ways. A popular YouTube video of your game glitching in a funny manner is worth quite a bit in terms of exposure and awareness.

I know a lot of people will say this is defeatist or whatever. But it isn't. Trying to lick a bonfire to death is a bad idea; nobody says it's defeatist to reach for a different approach. Choosing your battles is a vital skill. Think of it like judo - redirect the energy of "security" into making a great game that people love. Yes, there's still a risk you will get burned. That is always true of any creative effort.

This is helpful, thanks! pretty much what I was thinking just needed to get another perspective and some reassurance to get me going again.

Its very easy to get distracted from the core goal, which is making a game.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!