• Advertisement
DiligentDev

3D Diligent Engine - A Modern Cross-Platform Low-Level Graphics Library

9 hours ago, ChuckNovice said:

Good work, I've seen your few topics about this engine in the past and it helped me taking decisions on how to build my own abstraction layer in my project. It's not only a nice project but also a good source of information.

Thanks! It's great to know you found it useful!

Advertisement
3 minutes ago, swiftcoder said:

Do you have support for cross-compiling this with the OpenGL ES backend to WebASM (and WebGL) via Emscripten?

I do support cross-compiling HLSL shaders to GLSL and it works just fine on GLES, but I do not currently support WebGL. I also need GLES3.0 or higher, and I am not sure if WebGL supports that (last time I checked it was only 2.0).

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, swiftcoder said:

WebGL 2.0 is roughly equivalent to OpenGL ES 3.0. It has decent support in Firefox and Chrome so far.

If WebGL is equivalent to OpenGLES 3.0, it should be possible to make the engine support it. Meanwhile, if I was targeting web, I would probably use WebGL directly. Do you know how valuable it is to have a common abstraction layer that allows targeting web and standalone apps?

Edited by DiligentDev

57 minutes ago, DiligentDev said:

Do you know how valuable it is to have a common abstraction layer that allows targeting web and standalone apps?

It's pretty nice to be able to just spin up a build of your game for the browser.

I use Unity's WebGL builds a lot for showing off work-in-progress of various things.

12 hours ago, swiftcoder said:

It's pretty nice to be able to just spin up a build of your game for the browser.

I use Unity's WebGL builds a lot for showing off work-in-progress of various things.

I will add WebGL support to my TODO list, my next step though is gonna be Vulkan backend.

After about one month of work and with the help of few thousand lines of new code, Diligent Engine has rendered its first (upside down for now) triangle with Vulkan back-end!

VkTriangle.png.4df6ee541147ca81d66f0a0eb9cceac4.png

Diligent Engine's Vulkan back-end is now 100% complete! It was quite a path from the first triangle to all other features, but the results are very encouraging. In Asteroids benchmark, single-threaded Vulkan mode is faster than native Ditrect3D11 implementation while multithreaded is on par with Direct3D12.

AsteroidsVk.png.f1ae8661322e63f5b470602f75d64fba.png