Starting Out

Started by
9 comments, last by zizulot 6 years, 5 months ago

I know that there is no right answer to "which game engine is the best". That's why I'm not going to bother. I have Unity 5, Unreal Engine 4, and Cryengine installed on my computer. Not very good specs, and I'm running on a $0 budget. But I wanted to know if there was any engine out there with easy (relatively) animation capabilities, blueprint or flowgraph like programming, and simple creation methods. there are probably going to no answers for this, but I thought I might as well ask the community.

Adrew

Advertisement

Unreal has blueprints, but otherwise, no idea.

Why don't you check out the tutorials or the overview of each of the engine to get an idea if you like them or not?

Construct comes to mind.

It may be limiting, but it is a powerful prototyping tool.

I believe Game Maker 2.0 has made progress towards that as well (and has some of the most avant-garde 2D animation tools I've seen in a long time!)

Don't judge before you try, I can confirm both are used professionally ;)

Try Unity 2017, the newest version.  Animation is so simple. 

Here is a game I made.  The balloon and the boy animation took 5 seconds to create in game and 10 seconds to code it in.

Balloon Boy

You literally drag in your animated frames and it makes an animation for you to access.  If you need future help with it then hit me up.

I thought I might have to use unity, the only problem is that I have 1% total c# knowledge.

Adrew

1 hour ago, Raithen said:

You literally drag in your animated frames and it makes an animation for you to access.  If you need future help with it then hit me up.

Same for Unreal.

Unreal's Animation Graph, has the exact same functionality as Unity's "Mecanim". It also has 3-4 times the performance of Mecanim, this is because of Unity's redundant math and blend functions; Unity knows of these problems and constantly work to fix it.

The long and short of it is that Unreal has everything Unity has but better. It also does not have the limits of Unity, for example in unreal you can re-target any animation like spider -> horse and you don't have to do that idiotic T-pose thing.

This however doesn't mean Unreal is the best engine. The huge amount of animation tools are intended for professional animation artist and do not explain them self. This makes Unreal a bad engine for beginners but a fantastic engine for people with even basic knowledge.

Unity starts here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/AnimationOverview.html

Unreal starts here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Animation/

Unity's animation state machine, this image shows 40% of Unity's animation tools:

MecanimShowcase.png

Unreal's Animation graph 5% of Unreals animation tools:

Image result for Unreal 4 animation graph

Both engines are great. Unity is easy to learn and has all the basics. Unreal has the best tools and is just much better at creating a living world.

Most of your animations is created in your 3D editor, like Max, Maya or Blender. The engine just gives you tools to play around with the animations.

Depends on what you want to achieve. If you don't really know yet,  just start learning GameMaker or Construct, these are great tools for starting out. Or anything else, really. Nowadays almost every engine has some kind of visual scripting tools. Unity does not have a built-in one, but you can grab a free version of PlayMaker from Asset Store.

To be honest, I don't even think it really matters which engine to choose at this point. It's better to not hesitate and just relax and start learning whatever you feel more like working with. You will figure out what suits you best along the way. The only thing I would not recommend in this case is CryEngine.

3 hours ago, Oxeren said:

Depends on what you want to achieve. If you don't really know yet,  just start learning GameMaker or Construct, these are great tools for starting out. Or anything else, really. Nowadays almost every engine has some kind of visual scripting tools. Unity does not have a built-in one, but you can grab a free version of PlayMaker from Asset Store.

To be honest, I don't even think it really matters which engine to choose at this point. It's better to not hesitate and just relax and start learning whatever you feel more like working with. You will figure out what suits you best along the way. The only thing I would not recommend in this case is CryEngine.

I have Unreal, unity, and Cryengine installed on my pc at this point. unity because, I didn't know if i wanted to use it or not. Unreal because of it's streamlined dev pipeline. Cryengine because you can make simple assets, levels, animations, cinematics, and complex scripts all with relative ease, and I have done. All of them (Cryengine). But my computer can't render it. I want to make full 3d games, maybe even with an open world. Unity I have a huge struggle remembering how to code with c# and Java has been removed in the latest version. Unreal, I can just never stick with because everything I want to do requires me to learn more "visual coding", but that's still coding.

Adrew

4 hours ago, SuperChronicleSparten said:

and Java has been removed in the latest version

Unity supports JavaScript, not Java.  They're dropping both JavaScript and Boo (a derivative of Python). 

Their telemetry shows about 3% of users are using JavaScript and 0.006% are using Boo, the languages have been on a downward trend in their stats for several years, so it is deprecated as of a few months ago with probably another year. It will probably not be fully dropped for another year or so, and the compiler for it will remain on GitHub where it currently resides.

4 hours ago, SuperChronicleSparten said:

Unity I have a huge struggle remembering how to code with c# and Java has been removed in the latest version. Unreal, I can just never stick with because everything I want to do requires me to learn more "visual coding", but that's still coding.

Yes, making games require work.  That's the biggest barrier to entry these days.  Amazing tools are cheap or free. Computers are cheap. Human labor is expensive and scarce.

Both Unreal and Unity are similarly powered, especially for anything a hobby developer is likely to develop. Both can target all the major platforms.  There are some notable differences for major games, but games that fall into that category cost several million dollars on development and the costs to work around the differences are relatively small.  If you're asking questions like these, you don't fall in to that category.  Use whichever feels more comfortable to you.

20 hours ago, SuperChronicleSparten said:

I thought I might have to use unity, the only problem is that I have 1% total c# knowledge.

There is tons of tutorials , smartphone apps to help you learn languages, I remember using Programing Hub and SoloLearn , they are free and teaching you the basic stuff, once you learn your basics , you can go for more complex things, First is cofussing , but once you learn c-Sharp other languages will be a lot of easier to learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement