• Advertisement
Raithen

Unity Taught myself Unity. Here are my first two games published for android. I can help teach you how I made them. Including my ad revenue journey.

Hi everyone.

I have recently taught myself Unity from scratch with no formal training in programming.  I see a lot of people asking where to start, how to do things and I thought I would post here to both showcase my game and help the community.  My spin on teaching/showing is from an average Joe perspective instead of a professional who shows things without explaining to the real beginners. For example they say "put a rigidbody 2d on this" and no understanding on why that is the case or what the hell it even is.

The first game is a flappy-like game called Balloon Boy.  This is a great project for people to lean.  One button input to manipulate the character to pass through rings without hitting them.  Simple, addictive.  Balloon Boy Game  The average score is around 15, but someone sent me a screen shot of 22.  If you're wanting to develop in Unity let me know and I can guide you 1-on-1 or a write up of how to make your own.

kURoUZDA1CTvDVaZwM4ly0eeOGJux09SpBH6Cx_r

The second game is a 2D Mini Golf game.  Full of trick shots, beating the par, unlocking courses, and I gave a try at 2 player hot-seat (boy that was hard).  Despite the complexity of the game there are very simple mechanics that a month-old Unity user could accomplish.  Golf-O-rama game

If you think you're good at angle, power charge games then give this one a go.

DqQ-UhPHIh9h9os_nklsT-NpjRDTmKD-GJdKLKvn

The last part of the journey of making these games was converting to Android APK, setting up a google play account, trying to integrate ads into the games, and following the progress.  Any questions about the steps or results, ask away.

Lastly, as these are my first games I've finished and I'm new, feel free to let me know any suggestions or critique.  I'll be lurking around the forums helping people where I can.

Cheers everyone.

Advertisement

do you have any experience with 3D?. my idea is a trial type of game but from a marble's perspective. you control the marble and go through obstacles to reach the end, and everything will look much bigger to scale the view from the marble. I use Unity.

I haven't dabbled in 3d just yet, but I imagine that since I have the core understanding of Unity it wouldn't be hard at all.  Just more vector3's and less vector 2's.

So almost a 3d version of my golf game, but zoomed in a lot more.  Super Monkey Ball comes to mind if you've seen that game.