• Advertisement
shelvick

Ambitious game looking for an ambitious team

This summer I started working on a "subterfuge MMO" game called Spycursion, which I've written about here and on my blog. It draws inspiration from EVE Online, Uplink, and Street Hacker, so if you've been into any of those games then you may find it very interesting. Right now the team is just me, but that is hopefully about to change!

I'm looking for a couple of people to fill some expertise gaps. Most importantly:

• Graphics, particularly SDL2/OpenGL
  • Marketing (or, more likely since this is a game dev forum, connections to people who can do game marketing)
  • Art. See this post; the first two images there are concept art representing the style direction

I'm planning on launching a crowdfunding campaign ideally in January, and am pursuing additional funding options. Spycursion is a game that I think is very unique and has a lot of potential -- but I need your help to realize that potential! If interested, please send me a private message detailing your experience/qualifications.

Thanks,
-Scott

Advertisement

I like the idea and did something similar in the past (in pure C# and Winforms) as an inspired response to Alice OS Hacker Game but as a home brew only. I have this kind of project on my TODO for arround a couple of years to get the old idea back to life but with a different background. My Idea was to utilize the game to be also a mobile social interaction thing where you could join on the train station, in the train or while sitting in a mall to find local other players and try to hack there devices (in game not in real :D ), let players provide challenges or take part at group events.

I have also wrote some kind of "OS Emulator" a very long time ago (let it be 8 years now), also in C# that looked similar to this one (also C# ;) )

Internet.thumb.png.f6b7e43643891b29908e22db3fb5cd79.pngToolbar.thumb.png.0190e26fe4983bccf78286c48bb93261.pngTerminal.thumb.png.572cc1b42ac0734ac8546c7955896393.png

So I could absolutely imagine that this can make some fun for the right audience. Maybe the gamer community is ready for this now but some similar projects as Notch's 0x10c already failed for this and things like Watchdog made more aspect to the action part as for "real hacking" so I and maybe some others are corious about what you plan to make the game long term "fun" and beginner friendly to people with non/minimal coding/OS skills?

Do you have have made some game design document already?

Dont get me wrong, I could imagine to spend some time working on this ;)

Edited by Shaarigan

9 hours ago, Shaarigan said:

My Idea was to utilize the game to be also a mobile social interaction thing where you could join on the train station, in the train or while sitting in a mall to find local other players and try to hack there devices (in game not in real :D ), let players provide challenges or take part at group events.

Yeah, I thought about adding some mobile/GPS-based stuff to Spycursion, but 1) I don't think it would fit that well, and 2) it would be too much to tackle this early on. Maybe in a couple years!

So I could absolutely imagine that this can make some fun for the right audience. Maybe the gamer community is ready for this now but some similar projects as Notch's 0x10c already failed for this and things like Watchdog made more aspect to the action part as for "real hacking" so I and maybe some others are corious about what you plan to make the game long term "fun" and beginner friendly to people with non/minimal coding/OS skills?

I didn't follow 0x10c very closely, but from what I understand it wouldn't have been all that similar to Spycursion.

" rel="external">This video, for example, appears to focus on space combat, which is very different. WATCH_DOGS is more similar, but really I can imagine players having fun in any combination of areas: Hacking being the primary one (and that will be way more realistic than WATCH_DOGS), but also empire-building, political intrigue, or even just "getting the high score." Remember that this is a sandbox game, in the style of EVE Online (but not quite that open world... this is an indie studio, after all ;) ). Players are meant to be able to create the world and play in it the way they want, with of course plenty of challenges thrown in their way.

As for being beginner-friendly, that is definitely a core goal. IMO, the ideal balance is a game that encourages players to learn some technical skills in order to excel at the game, but still lets them have fun without doing so. I envision that more tech-savvy players will have an advantage, but one that encourages a challenge ("I want to figure out this game system so I can play better"), as opposed to making the game feel unfair. If we miss that mark, I'd consider that a design flaw that would require changes.

Do you have have made some game design document already?

Hah, I've got a lot more than that! I've been working on this game since June. Slang (the in-game programming language) is basically finished, as is some of the software that runs on it, along with a big chunk of the (in-game) network infrastructure. A small portion of the client-server API is in place, as is a draft version of the client UI, which you can see in that third picture on the blog.

In short: Yes, there's a metric shitton of work to do, but Spycursion is far from just an idea at this point.

Edited by shelvick

I just quarrel with either joining your team or do a counter project to see which idea competes better over the other so will tell .. maybe :P

Well, if you're serious about joining this project, don't wait long to tell me. I'm already vetting a couple of people and I only really need one other technical co-founder.