Distributing a game with stolen resources

Started by
16 comments, last by zizulot 6 years, 4 months ago
11 hours ago, Michael Aganier said:

If you commercialize the game, you will have problems if it contains unauthorized material. You won't have any problem if you keep it for yourself or share it with friends.

Agree, if no one knows than no problems

Advertisement
1 hour ago, zizulot said:

Agree, if no one knows than no problems

That, and it's usually the act of distribution that is an infringement against the owner's rights. 

If I draw a picture of spiderman, it's an unlicensed derivative work (which is something you generally should avoid doing) but I have the right to do that.  Even if I admit to it, I've done nothing wrong. However, if I make copies of my picture and start posting it around the interwebs, I've violated the owner of spiderman's right to control how their IP is distributed. 

The difficulty with sharing with your friends is that your friends may also share it. And their friends will share it. And their friends may share it. And then you've got a problem.

In most nations, making it and keeping it to yourself is fine.  But spreading it around is not.  Since the question was about distributing the game, that seemed understood.

IANAL either, I think one goofy work around might be to have a game that is only an engine, and distributing only that, with instructions on how to use the assets from the other game.  For example, I release game X, but it requires the assets of game Y.  I don't bundle the assets, I merely tell the buyer of my game that they need to copy the assets of game Y into game X's asset folder, or prompt them to give a path to game Y's folder, whatever.  The assumption is that the buyer of the game must own game Y.  In reality players of your game may be pirating game Y to play your game, but at that point, that's not your fault.

This is sort of how Rifftrax works.

6 hours ago, ferrous said:

I think one goofy work around might be to have a game that is only an engine, and distributing only that

This is actually common. For example there are a lot of old lan games that needed Unreal tournament to work. Alien Swarm from Black Cat Games works like this.

1 hour ago, Scouting Ninja said:

For example there are a lot of old lan games that needed Unreal tournament to work. Alien Swarm from Black Cat Games works like this.

That's called modding :D

20 hours ago, frob said:

The difficulty with sharing with your friends is that your friends may also share it. And their friends will share it. And their friends may share it. And then you've got a problem.

In most nations, making it and keeping it to yourself is fine.  But spreading it around is not.  Since the question was about distributing the game, that seemed understood.

Well , if you not anyone else know who was creator, and making yourself untrackable, than its fine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement