• Advertisement

Just another beginer story

Hello,

Me and a friend have been thinking of making a game, but the thing is that, we only have someone who only knows how to write and very VERY basic coding (Me) and another person who can make the music and know a bit more coding and know how to use Game Maker.

We are thinking of making a top down Action RPG with some crafting elements, is it possible to make it with our limited abilities? obviously we are open to learn and improve, but, can we start and do something with what we already have?

Advertisement

What plan do you have so far? What tools are you planning to use?
It will really depend on how big the idea is and what you're going to make it with. The patience you have is also going to be a factor so making sure that you're having fun while making it can be really important. The crafting system might be a bit heavy code wise if you want stuff like drag and drop so save that for later when you have a bit more experience. Try making a prototype first to see how difficult it is to get a guy swinging a sword and a few enemies moving around.

We plan to make something like your typical "Guy goes into dungeon" scenario, the only difference would be that instead of a dungeon, the character is exploring a big maze like forest.
More than a crafting system, we were thinking on something like "He gets this kind of metal that releases heat and a bar of wood, and he can make a new flaming sword", we wanted him to use these new weapons to get access to new places in the forest, kind of like in a Metroidvania (but in top down RPG flavour), so it wouldn't be like "oh no, I've run out of arrows, let's go back to the village and make 100 more), it would be more like a progression system.

And the only tools we have right now are RPG maker (which we don't want to use because we don't want our game to be too generic), Game Maker (which we are actually OK on using because we have been learning a bit about it recently) and Unity (Which for now is completely out of our reach).

I have another friend who is actually a computer ingeneer, but I don't want to bother him hahaha, so we are locked with the two of us for now.

Using game maker is fine, spelunky and a bunch of good games have been made with it. Sounds like you want to do a game like the earlier Zelda games. I'd start small, scale back the idea to just two areas with one upgrade and see how that goes. If you finish that you can think about continuing with the rest. It's really important to get a sense of proportion so you don't struggle forever and feel like you're not getting anywhere. So scale everything down until you have a tiny game, and then scale it back up when you have a sense of what you're doing and the time scale involved.

I would advice you something I used to do when my code knowledge wasnt good, Make a plan of the game of course, then start with basic stuff like movement/ entering - exiting dungeon, then add enemie encounters etc , then loot, than lvl up system, by the way you done all this stuff by learning and looking for right sollutions you will be much better in coding, well at  least in game maker. Good luck to you mate :) , P.S. You cant become pro in coding just in one week, be prepared for some serious time crafting your knowledge.

Edited by zizulot

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Ahrakeen
      PRogrammer needed, for either game maker or unreal.
      Need help putting together a turn based strategic combat system ala disgaea or trouble shooters.
      Also to help with user interface menus and world map

We are putting together a game project over several chapters we got the graphics and design mostly done for the prologue but will need the code to make it work ultimately
    • By get the f***ing pillow man
      Hello everybody, i'm working on a RPG game in GameMaker Studio, and as a beginner yea still gotta learn a lot. Created the sprites(for the player and its animations), Background for a room(some basic grass), and the objects for some basic walls and the player(included collisions, move, animate, speed etc). But what I'm hoping for is a turn-based fight systems. So when I collide with an object, it will enter the turn-based fight system. How do I do that? Seems kinda hard, and there are unclear tutorials on how to do it. So may someone explain be how to do it? Step by step, or if not, just some links where to learn some stuff so maybe I'll do it by myself. THANKS 
    • By get the f***ing pillow man
      Hi guys, I'm actually creating an RPG game by myself, a complete n00b, but the game is actually not that bad. I made sprites and animations, Backgrounds, a testing room and some code. And was just thinking 'bout getting more into game development so I may increase my game development skills. The game is actually based on Adventure Time, I named it "Adventure Time: Dimensional War". Still gotta create it's story, add dialogue boxes, hitboxes, enemies, turn-based fight systems etc. So I thought that maybe this joining this kind of forums will help. 
      Right now I just need to learn how to make some enemies objects to follow me, attack me, and animate. I want to animate them just the way the player gets animated (up, down, right, left) So may someone tell me how to do it? 

• By Atwo Studios
      Hey guys, It Anthony from Atwo Studios bring you another game update for our game ROY. This past week we worked on fixing scaling issues for our game and in the video below i will be talking about the tutorial for our game, which we will be working on this week. 
      In-case you haven't watched the previous video where i explain the overall game, our game ROY is a color combination game targeted for android which uses your basic color combinations to traverse through our different levels and beat the different goals of that level. That video can be found on our website @ atwostudios.com or on our youtube @ Atwo Studios.
      Feel free to leave any comments or suggestions on our game, and Thank you for taking the time to read the blurb about the game and watch the video!
      If you don't want to check the video out, you don't have to but its very much appreciated!

• By Tiny Giraffe
      Hello, I'm an aspiring game designer and doing a research paper on being a game designer for high school. Part of doing this project is getting an interview from an active game designer. I was hoping someone could help me with this, If you're interested in helping me that would be great! I just need you to answer these 5 questions.
      What experience might you need for this job?    What experience might you get from this job?      What are the Hours like for this Career?   Is there anything extra that you would recommend to learn in order to get better at this job or something to learn before going to college?    Is there anything you know now that you wish you knew when starting out?   If anyone could help that would be fantastic
  • Advertisement