• Advertisement
mister345

DX11 Does buffer number matter in ID3D11DeviceContext::PSSetConstantBuffers()?

Does buffer number matter in ID3D11DeviceContext::PSSetConstantBuffers()? I added 5 or six constant buffers to my framework, and later realized I had set the buffer number parameter to either 0 or 1 in all of them - but they still all worked! Curious why that is, and should they be set up to correspond to the number of constant buffers?

Similarly, inside the buffer structs used to pass info into the hlsl shader, I added padding inside the c++ struct to make a struct containing a float3 be 16 bytes, but in the declaration of the same struct inside the hlsl shader file, it was missing the padding value - and it still worked! Do they need to be consistent or not? Thanks.

struct CameraBufferType
    {
        XMFLOAT3 cameraPosition;
        float padding;
    };

Advertisement

Well, I don't know why it worked for you with so little knowledge about your specific app. For me, I like to be very explicit about bind slot IDs for buffers and resources. I declare them in a shared header between C++ app code and HLSL shaders. Then the application uses SetConstantBuffers() with that ID and the shaders are specifying bind locations with that ID as well. HLSL is tricky because you have to concatenate the number with a string, like this:

cbuffer MyCBuffer : register(b4)

For that I am using a macro like this:

#define CBUFFER(name, slot) cbuffer name : register(b ## slot)

Regarding the padding, you are right, HLSL does automatically pad your structs when needed, but I like to keep that explicit as well, so I insert dummy data members where padding would occur. This makes it easier to share structs with the C++ application which you should also do in a shared header in my opinion.

If you don't explicitly link your resources to slots via the register keyword in HLSL, the compiler will remove all unused resources and then automatically assign them to slot 0, 1, 2, etc 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Aryndon
      Project Redemption is an semi-fantasy RPG with a linear story and an elaborate combat system.
      We are building in Unity and are currently looking animators and artists.
      What we are looking for
      -Someone who is okay with split revenue/profits when finished
      -Collaborate with others in the team. Do you have an idea/thought on what should be included? Tell us!
      -Someone who wants to work with people that are passionate about this project
      If you are interested. Please message me and I will get back to you as soon as possible! Or add me on Discord AJ#6664
    • By BearishSun
      bs::framework is a newly released, free and open-source C++ game development framework. It aims to provide a modern C++14 API & codebase, focus on high-end technologies comparable to commercial engine offerings and a highly optimized core capable of running demanding projects. Additionally it aims to offer a clean, simple architecture with lightweight implementations that allow the framework to be easily enhanced with new features and therefore be ready for future growth.
      Some of the currently available features include a physically based renderer based on Vulkan, DirectX and OpenGL, unified shading language, systems for animation, audio, GUI, physics, scripting, heavily multi-threaded core, full API documentation + user manuals, support for Windows, Linux and macOS and more.
      The next few updates are focusing on adding support for scripting languages like C#, Python and Lua, further enhancing the rendering fidelity and adding sub-systems for particle and terrain rendering.
      A complete editor based on the framework is also in development, currently available in pre-alpha stage.
      You can find out more information on www.bsframework.io.

View full story
    • By BearishSun
      bs::framework is a newly released, free and open-source C++ game development framework. It aims to provide a modern C++14 API & codebase, focus on high-end technologies comparable to commercial engine offerings and a highly optimized core capable of running demanding projects. Additionally it aims to offer a clean, simple architecture with lightweight implementations that allow the framework to be easily enhanced with new features and therefore be ready for future growth.
      Some of the currently available features include a physically based renderer based on Vulkan, DirectX and OpenGL, unified shading language, systems for animation, audio, GUI, physics, scripting, heavily multi-threaded core, full API documentation + user manuals, support for Windows, Linux and macOS and more.
      The next few updates are focusing on adding support for scripting languages like C#, Python and Lua, further enhancing the rendering fidelity and adding sub-systems for particle and terrain rendering.
      A complete editor based on the framework is also in development, currently available in pre-alpha stage.
      You can find out more information on www.bsframework.io.
  • Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!