• Advertisement
mark_braga

Vulkan Correct behavior after window minimize

It seems like nobody really knows what is the correct behavior after window minimizes in Vulkan.

I have looked at most of the examples (Sascha Willems, GPUOpen,...) and all of them crash after the window minimize event with the error VK_ERROR_OUT_OF_DATE either with an assertion during acquire image or after calling present. This is because we have to recreate the swap chain.

I tried this but then Vulkan expects you to provide a swap chain with extents { 0, 0, 0, 0 }, but now if you try to set the viewport or create new image views with extents { 0, 0, 0, 0 }, Vulkan expects you to provide non-zero values. So now I am confused.

Should we just do nothing after a window minimize event? No rendering, update, ...?

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By BearishSun
      bs::framework is a newly released, free and open-source C++ game development framework. It aims to provide a modern C++14 API & codebase, focus on high-end technologies comparable to commercial engine offerings and a highly optimized core capable of running demanding projects. Additionally it aims to offer a clean, simple architecture with lightweight implementations that allow the framework to be easily enhanced with new features and therefore be ready for future growth.
      Some of the currently available features include a physically based renderer based on Vulkan, DirectX and OpenGL, unified shading language, systems for animation, audio, GUI, physics, scripting, heavily multi-threaded core, full API documentation + user manuals, support for Windows, Linux and macOS and more.
      The next few updates are focusing on adding support for scripting languages like C#, Python and Lua, further enhancing the rendering fidelity and adding sub-systems for particle and terrain rendering.
      A complete editor based on the framework is also in development, currently available in pre-alpha stage.
      You can find out more information on www.bsframework.io.

View full story
    • By BearishSun
      bs::framework is a newly released, free and open-source C++ game development framework. It aims to provide a modern C++14 API & codebase, focus on high-end technologies comparable to commercial engine offerings and a highly optimized core capable of running demanding projects. Additionally it aims to offer a clean, simple architecture with lightweight implementations that allow the framework to be easily enhanced with new features and therefore be ready for future growth.
      Some of the currently available features include a physically based renderer based on Vulkan, DirectX and OpenGL, unified shading language, systems for animation, audio, GUI, physics, scripting, heavily multi-threaded core, full API documentation + user manuals, support for Windows, Linux and macOS and more.
      The next few updates are focusing on adding support for scripting languages like C#, Python and Lua, further enhancing the rendering fidelity and adding sub-systems for particle and terrain rendering.
      A complete editor based on the framework is also in development, currently available in pre-alpha stage.
      You can find out more information on www.bsframework.io.
    • By tanzanite7
      Trying to figure out why input attachment reads as black with NSight VS plugin - and failing.
      This is what i can see at the invocation point of the shader:
      * attachment is filled with correct data (just a clear to bright red in previous renderpass) and used by the fragment shader:
      // SPIR-V decompiled to GLSL #version 450 layout(binding = 0) uniform sampler2D accum; // originally: layout(input_attachment_index=0, set=0, binding=0) uniform subpassInput accum; layout(location = 0) out vec4 fbFinal; void main(){ fbFinal = vec4(texelFetch(accum, ivec2(gl_FragCoord.xy), 0).xyz + vec3(0.0, 0.0, 1.0), 1.0); // originally: fbFinal = vec4(subpassLoad(accum).rgb + vec3(0.0, 0.0, 1.0), 1.0); } * the resulting image is bright blue - instead of the expected bright purple (red+blue)
      How can this happen?
      'fbFinal' format is B8G8R8A8_UNORM and 'accum' format is R16G16B16A16_UNORM - ie. nothing weird.
    • By turanszkij
      Hi, running Vulkan with the latest SDK, validation layers enabled I just got the following warning:
      That is really strange, because in DX11 we can have 15 constant buffers per shader stage. And my device (Nvidia GTX 1050 is DX11 compatible of course) Did anyone else run into the same issue? How is it usually handled? I would prefer not enforcing less amount of CBs for the Vulkan device and be as closely compliant to DX11 as possible. Any idea what could be the reason behind this limitation?
    • By DiligentDev
      Hello everyone!
      For my engine, I want to be able to automatically generate pipeline layouts based on shader resources. That works perfectly well in D3D12 as shader resources are not required to specify descriptor tables, so I use reflection system and map different shader registers to tables as I need. In Vulkan, however, looks like descriptor sets must be specified in both SPIRV bytecode and when creating pipeline layout (why is that?). So it looks like I will have to mess around with the bytecode to tweak bindings and descriptor sets. I looked at SPIRV-cross but it seems like it can't emit SPIRV (funny enough). I also use glslang to compile GLSL to SPIRV and for some reason, binding decoration is only present for these resources that I explicitly defined.
      Does anybody know if there is a tool to change bindings in SPIRV bytecode?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!