• Advertisement

2D game programming book

Hello everyone. I'd like to learn 2D game programming, so I'd need a book which explains everything needed to create a full game. (Engine, collision detection, tiles/sprite, and so on)

Please, give me advice.

Advertisement

Howdy,

This very much depends on what you want to "achieve" exactly, do you want to learn to develop engines or program games? Do you want to focus on the high level or the low-level?

That book is quite good, it walks you through developing tile engines with a tile editor, collision an some extremely simple AI but inst about engine development (Note: Monogame is the community replacement for XNA, 2nd link)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/XNA-4-0-Game-Development-Example/dp/1849690669
http://www.monogame.net/

If you want to Build a complete "Engine" from low-level then your not going to get that from 1 book, the books i have on my desk at the moment are:

Mathematics for 3D game programming

Game Engine Design

Game Engine Architecture

Game Coding Complete Fourth

Real Time Rendering

Frank D Luna, DX11/DX12

Real time Collision Detection

Useful site:

Eberly's wild Magic Engine

I'd like to learn development of 2d games, mainly with scrolling. 

I have some confused background on stuff like collision detection, tile based games, sprite animation and so.

I'd like a book which explains one any 2d game from start to finish, just as reference.

P.S.: if does it exists, it should use pseudo code

Go to amazon and search for SFML.  Of course you'd have to be willing to use SFML.  I saw a book called SFML Game Development by Example that might be what you're looking for.  But that would be a higher level, if you want to learn how to plot pixels or how to rotate sprites using the CPU then you'll need something else.

Assuming you have a basic familarity of a programming language( Python, C, Java, Witchcraft, Voodoo, the ways of the Force  ) then I would recommend "The Black Art of Multiplatform Game Programming", by Jazon Yamamoto, and aim to make something like Space Invaders or Tetris.

Games like Final Fantasy, Super Mario Bros, R-Type, Sonic the Hedgehog, and other 8/16-bit delights will come much later after you have aquired many skills.  Just start small and you will enjoy the ride...

Have fun! ^_^