Tips on Building Portfolio

Started by
2 comments, last by MTravis 6 years, 4 months ago

Hello!

I am a game development student in my second year of a three year program and I would like to start building my portfolio. I was thinking of creating some games to show what I can do to potential employers since I wont have any work related experience when I graduate. But as I'm sure you all know there are tons of ways to approach developing/designing a game and I'm curious if anyone had any insight as to any "standards" that come with this? Is it okay to use game engines like Unity, Unreal, Game Maker etc? Or would it be better to make a game from scratch to better show case your skills? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Your portfolio should show off your skills, so use whatever game engine you work in best to show them off.

Also, you don't have to make a game from scratch if you can't, find a team that needs your skills and help them. Any game you make is experience and something you can put in your portfolio.

It's fine to use an engine like Unreal, or Game Maker.  You could consider creating a mod as well.  Do you know what you want to specialize in?  Now is the time to pick a discipline and become an expert to be able to compete for industry jobs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement