Combat System

Started by
2 comments, last by Alberth 6 years, 5 months ago

I am trying to recreate the combat system in the game Life is Feudal but make it more complex. The fighting system works by taking in the direction of the mouse movement and if you press the left click it will swing in that direction, though stab, overhead, left (up, down, left right) and right are the only swings that you can do. If you wanted to you could also hold the swing by holding left click so you are able to swing at the perfect moment in the battle. I want to change this so add in more swing directions but I also want to code this from scratch in Unreal. Can anyone give me any pointers or maybe a few snippets of code that work in Unreal that could help me start to implement this type of system?

Kazuma
Advertisement

System like this most likely takes into account mouse movement velocity, distance & direction. There is not much t it, really, and Life is Feudal has quite stiff feeling to it, I much preferred how it worked in Mount & Blade. Get some model that has animations that you're interested in and prototype some system, it's not really that hard if you know what you want to achieve. 

With more directions comes problems like how to actually indicate it with a mouse stroke? You'd have to add something more, like tilting character left or right using some keys (Q/E?) and taking this into account when calculating swing direction and so on. But first and foremost you must come here with some specific problem, because system like this is unique enough that there most likely are no materials that we can point you to, and nobody will write a snippets of code for you either (because what you described is too generic).

Where are we and when are we and who are we?
How many people in how many places at how many times?

Even with a specific questions, unless someone has mostly exact that code, and is willing and allowed to share it, you won't get any.

Instead of aiming at writing the game, I'd start with simple experiments, eg noizex has pointed out a possible weak spot, so test if you can make it work, by writing mouse gesture code that outputs the gesture it detected, with a simple printf or whatever you do to get output in Unreal.

By doing a few of such experiments in small areas of the game, you get useful snippets, and experience how to make them. Not sure how useful snippets are in the real game, as there are likely a lot of things that need to be addressed that you omitted in the snippets.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement