• Advertisement

New Here So...HI all

Hey all im Norvik i really like games but recently want to create them yes i know it takes a lot of people to make a single game but right now im just focusing on the 3d aspect of it i tried c# i kinda understood a bit of it but it didnt catch my attention right now im doing 3d work in Blender and later on i would like to at least prototype my ideas into Unity the thing is i think i hate coding and the other day i saw something called Uscript (visual Scripting) can someone tell me if thats a good way to go ?

Advertisement

Visual scripting tends to be slower than native coding to a skilled developer but for hobby projects that doesn't really matter. Smaller indie titles can probably get away with it too. Also consider looking up a local game jam, might find a coder that can bring life to your art. Might be a good way to focus on the bits you enjoy most.

On 11/23/2017 at 2:00 AM, NoobDevSensei said:

the thing is i think i hate coding and the other day i saw something called Uscript (visual Scripting)

Visual scripting and scripting is the same thing; they just look different.

I use Unreal a lot and as a result I help a lot of developers who uses it's Blueprints. Most of there problems is often related to not understanding the code they are working with.

Chances are that if you hate scripting you will hate visual scripting just as much. You still need to learn you variables, arrays, classes, branches and loops; no matter what scripting style you use.

There are drag and drop engines, but what you can make with them is limited. The best thing to do is to learn only as much scripting as you need, later when your game has grown you could find a programmer to help fix the code.

Edited by Scouting Ninja

On 11/22/2017 at 6:00 PM, NoobDevSensei said:

can someone tell me if thats a good way to go ?

It can be. It can also be a terrible way to go.  It is all up to the details.

If you are talking about adding visual scripting to your own development tools, then for a personal project it is a bad way to go unless you're looking for an intense learning experience. Effectively you are adding another language to your project, adding more tools to your project to interact with that language, and adding new interfaces to your project to work with those tools and languages.

In large projects it can make sense to add them as it enables non-programmers to create content with scripted behavior. Good tools will minimize the damage scripts can cause, and will warn people (both the script author and the development team) when a script has issues, including performance problems.

I don't want to go against the topic of the post, but I would strongly recommend that you give coding a second try.  C# is powerful language and it is easy to learn. 

If you have the time please try this link

C# for Absolute Beginners

I know you may find coding frustrating now, but even an amateur level of skill in coding can help enhance your games.

I agree with Lucas_Cage. Give coding a second chance.

I picked up 7 books, 1 C++, and several C# books with the .net framework. One tip I can give you, if you are using Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 is this: For all of the examples... try just writing in the code and compiling it. Don't add in the extra helper call functions... the new VS2017 already has everything you need in the CLS Common Language Specification. So typing in static void LocalVarDeclarations for example is not needed. Just keep it as static void main(string [] args); I found this out after running into failed build error after failed build error. Even though I was typing in the code exactly as it was typed in, I kept hitting a brick wall. then I just decided to say "* it! leave out the call function and see what happens!" and all of the sudden my cw lines came out perfect when I hit Ctrl F5.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Bokchee 88
      I am animator by hand, and i am doing game animation for at least 8 years so far. During the last 2 years, i came with a idea for game and maybe some day, i want to start indie game company. As i am thinking to start game company, i am also thinking what kind of value i can give to the company. For example, am experience in animation,sales(I was selling web development services, before i jumped to gaming), bit of rigging- just not for production, i am learning on the side as well. The rest of the gaming production, like modeling, concept art, texturing, i am total noob or to say better, i am no near interest to do modeling for example, don't have such a patience to do it. But before characters and things are made for animating, what the hell i am would do?
      Also, what is the ideal size of the founding team of a game company? Positions to be filled mostly are, Concept artist, Modeler/Texture artist, programmer, animator-rigger. And later would need more people to join, like more animators, programmers, sound, fx,etc.

And lastly, do i need to have something,like a prototype, to show people and get them interest, or should i ask someone i know, for skill that i lack, for example, Modeling would be great, texturing and rigging, and to start all together from scratch?  
    • By Yosef BenSadon
      Hi , I was considering this start up http://adshir.com/, for investment and i would like a little bit of feedback on what the developers community think about the technology.
      So far what they have is a demo that runs in real time on a Tablet at over 60FPS, it runs locally on the  integrated GPU of the i7 . They have a 20 000 triangles  dinosaur that looks impressive,  better than anything i saw on a mobile device, with reflections and shadows looking very close to what they would look in the real world. They achieved this thanks to a  new algorithm of a rendering technique called Path tracing/Ray tracing, that  is very demanding and so far it is done mostly for static images.
      From what i checked around there is no real option for real time ray tracing (60 FPS on consumer devices). There was imagination technologies that were supposed to release a chip that supports real time ray tracing, but i did not found they had a product in the market or even if the technology is finished as their last demo  i found was with a PC.  The other one is OTOY with their brigade engine that is still not released and if i understand well is more a cloud solution than in hardware solution .
      Would there  be a sizable  interest in the developers community in having such a product as a plug-in for existing game engines?  How important  is Ray tracing to the  future of high end real time graphics?
    • By bryandalo
      Good day,

I just wanted to share our casual game that is available for android.

Description: Fight your way from the ravenous plant monster for survival through flips. The rules are simple, drag and release your phone screen. Improve your skills and show it to your friends with the games quirky ranks. Select an array of characters using the orb you acquire throughout the game.

Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HellmodeGames.FlipEscape&hl=en

Trailer: 

• By Manuel Berger
      Hello fellow devs!
      Once again I started working on an 2D adventure game and right now I'm doing the character-movement/animation. I'm not a big math guy and I was happy about my solution, but soon I realized that it's flawed.
      My player has 5 walking-animations, mirrored for the left side: up, upright, right, downright, down. With the atan2 function I get the angle between player and destination. To get an index from 0 to 4, I divide PI by 5 and see how many times it goes into the player-destination angle.

In Pseudo-Code:
      angle = atan2(destination.x - player.x, destination.y - player.y) //swapped y and x to get mirrored angle around the y axis
      index = (int) (angle / (PI / 5));
      PlayAnimation(index); //0 = up, 1 = up_right, 2 = right, 3 = down_right, 4 = down

Besides the fact that when angle is equal to PI it produces an index of 5, this works like a charm. Or at least I thought so at first. When I tested it, I realized that the up and down animation is playing more often than the others, which is pretty logical, since they have double the angle.

What I'm trying to achieve is something like this, but with equal angles, so that up and down has the same range as all other directions.

I can't get my head around it. Any suggestions? Is the whole approach doomed?

Thank you in advance for any input!

• By nick1
      Hello,

I have limited programming experience in C++, but have always had a passion for games.  Where do I start?  I have a rough idea of the type of game I want to develop and am ready to commit the time necessary to learn new languages.  Are mobile games too difficult to begin with? Should I begin learning the basics of keyboard controls before attempting touch screens?  I would appreciate any input or advice!
      Thanks!
      Nick1
  • Advertisement