New Here So...HI all

Started by
6 comments, last by zizulot 6 years, 4 months ago

Hey all im Norvik i really like games but recently want to create them yes i know it takes a lot of people to make a single game but right now im just focusing on the 3d aspect of it i tried c# i kinda understood a bit of it but it didnt catch my attention right now im doing 3d work in Blender and later on i would like to at least prototype my ideas into Unity the thing is i think i hate coding and the other day i saw something called Uscript (visual Scripting) can someone tell me if thats a good way to go ?

Advertisement

Visual scripting tends to be slower than native coding to a skilled developer but for hobby projects that doesn't really matter. Smaller indie titles can probably get away with it too. Also consider looking up a local game jam, might find a coder that can bring life to your art. Might be a good way to focus on the bits you enjoy most.

Video Game Programmer.
5 years in industry.

On 11/23/2017 at 2:00 AM, NoobDevSensei said:

the thing is i think i hate coding and the other day i saw something called Uscript (visual Scripting)

Visual scripting and scripting is the same thing; they just look different.

I use Unreal a lot and as a result I help a lot of developers who uses it's Blueprints. Most of there problems is often related to not understanding the code they are working with.

Chances are that if you hate scripting you will hate visual scripting just as much. You still need to learn you variables, arrays, classes, branches and loops; no matter what scripting style you use.

There are drag and drop engines, but what you can make with them is limited. The best thing to do is to learn only as much scripting as you need, later when your game has grown you could find a programmer to help fix the code.

On 11/22/2017 at 6:00 PM, NoobDevSensei said:

can someone tell me if thats a good way to go ?

It can be. It can also be a terrible way to go.  It is all up to the details.

If you are talking about adding visual scripting to your own development tools, then for a personal project it is a bad way to go unless you're looking for an intense learning experience. Effectively you are adding another language to your project, adding more tools to your project to interact with that language, and adding new interfaces to your project to work with those tools and languages.

In large projects it can make sense to add them as it enables non-programmers to create content with scripted behavior. Good tools will minimize the damage scripts can cause, and will warn people (both the script author and the development team) when a script has issues, including performance problems.

I don't want to go against the topic of the post, but I would strongly recommend that you give coding a second try.  C# is powerful language and it is easy to learn. 

If you have the time please try this link

C# for Absolute Beginners

I know you may find coding frustrating now, but even an amateur level of skill in coding can help enhance your games.

The Quarry Works Creed

We who shape mere stone must always envision cathedrals

I agree with Lucas_Cage. Give coding a second chance.

I picked up 7 books, 1 C++, and several C# books with the .net framework. One tip I can give you, if you are using Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 is this: For all of the examples... try just writing in the code and compiling it. Don't add in the extra helper call functions... the new VS2017 already has everything you need in the CLS Common Language Specification. So typing in static void LocalVarDeclarations for example is not needed. Just keep it as static void main(string [] args); I found this out after running into failed build error after failed build error. Even though I was typing in the code exactly as it was typed in, I kept hitting a brick wall. then I just decided to say "* it! leave out the call function and see what happens!" and all of the sudden my cw lines came out perfect when I hit Ctrl F5.

Newbie.

Without scripting you need to get coder or forget about your idea entirelly, its hard truth, there is no ways around in coding

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement