I've gone and made this.

okay, this one weird. The noise, the panning, drives me all crazy. What's it meant to be for?
Sounds like a horror trip to me after abusing the wrong substance.... Or maybe some psycho-killer-thing...
Might be fitting, depending on what you wanted to achieve.

Taken as a regular piece of music, though, I must say "sorry"...
Maybe some lessons on mastering might be helpful. YouTube's got a bunch of it.

It's really hard for me to get what you're trying to say here. The brain and ear need some sort of structure otherwise it gets dismissed as noise and focuses on other things. That's what's happening here with your piece. Too chaotic, too much panning and dissonance to make a clear idea of the main theme. 

As a Frank Zappa fan, I get where you are going with this.  But only a very small audience get's this type of music, most simply hear it as noise.  Alex Lifeson spent months creating the theme song for Andromeda.  There are over 20,000 guitars playing at the same time at one point during that theme.  Alex loved it, just about everyone else hated it.

I would try to be more traditional, and not go for sounds that only musicians understand.

I agree with most of what everyone else has said, but here's some more specific feedback.

1. The second chord has a flat 2 in the bass, and scale degree 5 in a sort of tenor voice. That awkward tritone so early on is pretty jarring, even for what you're going for. Try replacing the B in that chord with a C and you'll have a much less dissonant harmony. 

2. Similarly, there's some pretty weird rhythmic dissonance going on in the cymbals. It sounds like your one measure long drum loop has cymbal hits on the 2nd sixteenth note of beats 3 and 4. That really throws off your perception of the quarter note pulse. Every once in a while, this sort of syncopation is awesome, but when it's baked into a drum loop, it makes the whole pattern feel off kilter. 

3. From a production standpoint, there seems to be some wildly harsh compression going on at that cause the whole mix to pulsate irregularly. Try mixing your instruments quieter to begin with. It'll make mastering the track a lot easier. 

On 12/5/2017 at 6:54 PM, Kavik Kang said:

As a Frank Zappa fan, I get where you are going with this.  But only a very small audience get's this type of music, most simply hear it as noise.  Alex Lifeson spent months creating the theme song for Andromeda.  There are over 20,000 guitars playing at the same time at one point during that theme.  Alex loved it, just about everyone else hated it.

I would try to be more traditional, and not go for sounds that only musicians understand.

Not to be harsh to the OP or anything... but when I listen to Frank Zappa I hear interesting and in some cases strange music that is still really well produced and clear. When I listen to the OP's music, it's the actual production that is making me lose track and get distracted. Another similar group (that does really different, virtuosic rock) is Mr. Bungle (which I love) and I think the OP's music has a lot of technical issues, aside from creative aspects, that are causing this piece to have many issues. 

Yes, I would agree with that too.  Conceptually, he seems to be going for something like a heavy metal version of the music from FZ's "Make a Jazz Noise Here", but it is also "muddy" in some ways.  If he is going for that modern "RARGH-RARGH-RARGH" type of metal that I don't even know the name of, and really don't like at all, he isn't actually far off from that... "sound".  I guess someone who likes that style of music would have to judge it from that perspective, because in that case I am the one who just hears "noise".

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By AndySv
        Total Music Collection (http://u3d.as/Pxo)   THE COLLECTION CONTAINS:   Mega Game Music Collection   Universal Music Collection   Huge library of high quality music for any project! All at an incredibly low price!   - 2,5GB of high quality audio - 100+ different music tracks - Loop and short versions   Action, fantasy, casual, horror, puzzle, epic, dramatic, romantic, positive, inspiring, motivational and more!
    • By Big Impact Sound Composer for Media
      Big Impact Sound | Composer for Media

provides royalty free music and sound design for media, games, television, film, trailers, commercials, documentaries, YouTube creators, exhibits, websites, slide shows, corporate projects, podcasts, wedding albums, presentations, audiobooks, radio, apps and so much more.
      Royalty free music
      Big Impact Sound allows you to distribute the royalty free music worldwide  and without any additional fees.
      Our music licensing system is transparent and easy:  once the music license is paid there are no copyright issues.

Wide range of musical styles
      Our award winning team has more than two decades of experience in the creation and production of contemporary and classical music.

Composition on demand
      Custom-made composition and sound design that will maximize the impact of your game, movie, commercial, trailer, documentary or presentation.

Music productions ranging from single tracks to full orchestral scores
      We can provide single tracks or full scores and our team helps you with your project
      from start to finish according to your specific wishes.

Stock Music (Library Music)
      Fast and easy music and sound design browsing in our huge music library. All our tracks are immediately available for any of your projects.

Fast turnaround time
      We are used to work with tight deadlines and will help you meet them. We are passionate about our work and always aim for perfection.

Contact us (by PM or by the website) to discuss how we can enhance your project with a distinctive sound identity.
      https://bigimpactsound.com/

• By Goat___Boy
      Hello all,

I'm Goat___Boy, I love making noises.

More precisely I love making background\soundtrack music for games\movies.
      I want to make a game just for composing it's soundtrack but alas I always end up with a full OST and little actual gameplay to show for it (mostly incomplete RPG Maker and Unity projects.)
      I realized I'm not made to be a solo developer so I'm looking for a project to compose music to.
      As long as you promise me it will be a finished project and it will see the light of day I'll gladly make it for free and PLEASE don't ask me to make generic orchestra tunes.

I'm mostly inspired by the likes of Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails (Quake is one of my all time favorite OSTs) so I mostly dive in the Dark/Psychedelic but I'll gladly make other genres as I try to be a broad as possible. I'm a multi instrumentalist so don't worry, if you need Guitars, Bass or other ''real'' instruments in your songs I got you covered! I also make have experience in sprite work and digital design if you need extra help with your art assets.
      Here are some of my tracks:

• By nihitori
      This is the official Sales topic for the acclaimed Colossal Game Music Collection (100+ five-star ratings on the Unity Asset Store) and its Lite version, the Essential Game Music Collection.

Updates will be made here every time a sale is taking place on either the Unity Asset Store or the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

Current Sales:

Christmas Madness 2016 Sale on the Unity Asset Store -

- Colossal Game Music Collection at 75% OFF - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/88190

Please feel free to post here any questions you might have about either the sales or the collection itself.
    • By willsavino
      Hey folks,
      I recently recorded this tune for my demo reel. I'm really psyched with how the flute and guitar worked out, but I'm worried my string patches (SONiVOX Orchestral Companion - Strings) are too cheap sounding. Are these passable for a game score? I know it's context dependent, but I can't tell if I'm just being overly sensitive. 
      Thanks!
  • Popular Now