• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DX12 Textures corrupting descriptor heap

Hello guys,

I have a very simple D3D12 program that renders 2 textured quads and apply some saturation based on values passed to shaders by constant buffers. The textures (SRV) and the constant buffers (CBV) share a single large descriptor heap, SRVs are stored in the first half of the heap and CBVs in the second half. This program works just fine but then I extended it by adding more constant buffers to do some other work and noticed that all constant buffers that were created "after the textures were created", were getting corrupted in the descriptor heap and were not usable.

The curious thing is that if I create the extra const buffers before the textures then it works, but this it is not a definitive solution because the code is part of a library and the users should be able create resources in whatever order they want.
It doesn't matter if I change textures in the descriptor heap to the second half and buffers to the first half, it always fail, hence I think is something about corruption of the heap or bad alignment. I'm aware of the alignment requirements for const buffers: Just as shown in the SDK samples, I'm creating 64K sized buffers just to be sure and aligning them using "(data_size + 255) & ~255". But I have no clue on how to align textures.

Do you guys have a suggestion about this topic or how to properly align resource views in a single heap?

Thank you guys for your time.

PS: This is what the graphics debugger reports, just in case:

gfxdbg.png.4365b319515360adaa4ac28c6eaca9ae.png

gfxdbg2.png.7af64da52b1f0a34cc39de88e5b038c6.png

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By korben_4_leeloo
      Hi.
      I wanted to experiment D3D12 development and decided to run some tutorials: Microsoft DirectX-Graphics-Samples, Braynzar Soft, 3dgep...Whatever sample I run, I've got the same crash.
      All the initialization process is going well, no error, return codes ok, but as soon as the Present method is invoked on the swap chain, I'm encountering a crash with the following call stack:
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=10pdbqYEeRTZA5E6Jm7U5Dobpn-KE9uOg
      The crash is an access violation to a null pointer ( with an offset of 0x80 )
      I'm working on a notebook, a toshiba Qosmio x870 with two gpu's: an integrated Intel HD 4000 and a dedicated NVIDIA GTX 670M ( Fermi based ). The HD 4000 is DX11 only and as far as I understand the GTX 670M is DX12 with a feature level 11_0. 
      I checked that the good adapter was chosen by the sample, and when the D3D12 device is asked in the sample with a 11_0 FL, it is created with no problem. Same for all the required interfaces ( swap chain, command queue...).
      I tried a lot of things to solve the problem or get some info, like forcing the notebook to always use the NVIDIA gpu, disabling the debug layer, asking for a different feature level ( by the way 11_0 is the only one that allows me to create the device, any other FL will fail at device creation )...
      I have the latest NVIDIA drivers ( 391.35 ), the latest Windows 10 sdk ( 10.0.17134.0 ) and I'm working under 
      Visual Studio 2017 Community.
      Thanks to anybody who can help me find the problem...
    • By _void_
      Hi guys!
      In a lot of samples found in the internet, people when initialize D3D12_SHADER_RESOURCE_VIEW_DESC with resource array size 1 would normallay set its dimension as Texture2D. If the array size is greater than 1, then they would use dimension as Texture2DArray, for an example.
      If I declare in the shader SRV as Texture2DArray but create SRV as Texture2D (array has only 1 texture) following the same principle as above, would this be OK? I guess, this should work as long as I am using array index 0 to access my texture?
      Thanks!
    • By _void_
      Hey!

What is the recommended upper count for commands to record in the command list bundle?
      According to MSDN it is supposed to be a small number but do not elaborate on the actual number.
      I am thinking if I should pre-record commands in the command buffer and use ExecuteIndirect or maybe bundles instead.
      The number of commands to record in my case could vary greatly. 

Thanks!
    • By Jason Smith
      While working on a project using D3D12 I was getting an exception being thrown while trying to get a D3D12_CPU_DESCRIPTOR_HANDLE. The project is using plain C so it uses the COBJMACROS. The following application replicates the problem happening in the project.
      #define COBJMACROS #pragma warning(push, 3) #include <Windows.h> #include <d3d12.h> #include <dxgi1_4.h> #pragma warning(pop) IDXGIFactory4 *factory; ID3D12Device *device; ID3D12DescriptorHeap *rtv_heap; int WINAPI wWinMain(HINSTANCE hinst, HINSTANCE pinst, PWSTR cline, int cshow) { (hinst), (pinst), (cline), (cshow); HRESULT hr = CreateDXGIFactory1(&IID_IDXGIFactory4, (void **)&factory); hr = D3D12CreateDevice(0, D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_0, &IID_ID3D12Device, &device); D3D12_DESCRIPTOR_HEAP_DESC desc; desc.NumDescriptors = 1; desc.Type = D3D12_DESCRIPTOR_HEAP_TYPE_RTV; desc.Flags = D3D12_DESCRIPTOR_HEAP_FLAG_NONE; desc.NodeMask = 0; hr = ID3D12Device_CreateDescriptorHeap(device, &desc, &IID_ID3D12DescriptorHeap, (void **)&rtv_heap); D3D12_CPU_DESCRIPTOR_HANDLE rtv = ID3D12DescriptorHeap_GetCPUDescriptorHandleForHeapStart(rtv_heap); (rtv); } The call to ID3D12DescriptorHeap_GetCPUDescriptorHandleForHeapStart throws an exception. Stepping into the disassembly for ID3D12DescriptorHeap_GetCPUDescriptorHandleForHeapStart show that the error occurs on the instruction
      mov  qword ptr [rdx],rax
      which seems odd since rdx doesn't appear to be used. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• By lubbe75
      As far as I understand there is no real random or noise function in HLSL. 
      I have a big water polygon, and I'd like to fake water wave normals in my pixel shader. I know it's not efficient and the standard way is really to use a pre-calculated noise texture, but anyway...
      Does anyone have any quick and dirty HLSL shader code that fakes water normals, and that doesn't look too repetitious? 
  • Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!