• Advertisement
Luhan M.

How to learn the math necessary?

I'm restudying math through khan academy because I believe my level is very low, but I was wondering if it's better to learn only the math necessary to do something at the moment (such as a parabola of a bullet) or to follow through a textbook or site to learn the theory with  some practice.

Advertisement

There are books dedicated to math for games and graphics, you should check them out.  Search for 'math for game programming'.  Amazon will let you browse through the table of contents so you can see if its what you need.  There are also books on physics and other more specialized topics.

What is your current level of mathematics? Algebra?  Geometry?  Calculus?

this has always been a great resource for game dev math.  it is a very long youtube playlist.  each video on the order of 5 to 10 mins

I'll watch it, thanks djsteffey. Now i'm at algebra 1 and geometry, I'm doing these 2 at the same time.

Edited by Luhan M.

6 hours ago, Luhan M. said:

I'll watch it, thanks djsteffey. Now i'm at algebra 1 and geometry, I'm doing these 2 at the same time.

Well finish those up first.  Then consider getting one of the books on math for game programming if its what you need.  Did you take a look at them?  There are like three or four of them IIRC.  There are tutorials on the internet as well, but I don't know any of hand since I haven't looked for them for a while now.  For the simpler math I would search for tutorials on the internet, but for the more complicated stuff its nice to have a reference for yourself as well.  I still have my math textbooks from college.

Since nobody seems to have mentioned it: Do lots of problems. Math is about solving problems. Good math books have problems at the end of each chapter. Take some time and try to solve them. That's the part of the book where you learn the most.

I got a degree in math and my primary way to study was to take a long list of problems and solve problems 7, 17, 27, 37... If along the way I discovered I needed something I didn't know, I would read the text about it, with the specific problem in mind. If I had time I would pick another digit and do another pass (say 4, 14, 24, 34...).

3 hours ago, Infinisearch said:

Well finish those up first.  Then consider getting one of the books on math for game programming if its what you need.  Did you take a look at them?  There are like three or four of them IIRC.  There are tutorials on the internet as well, but I don't know any of hand since I haven't looked for them for a while now.  For the simpler math I would search for tutorials on the internet, but for the more complicated stuff its nice to have a reference for yourself as well.  I still have my math textbooks from college.

I did some research and found these books:

Foundations of Game Engine Development, Volume 1: Mathematics:

https://www.amazon.com/Foundations-Game-Engine-Development-Mathematics/dp/0985811749/

Game Physics Cookbook:

https://gamephysicscookbook.github.io

3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development:

https://www.amazon.com/Math-Primer-Graphics-Game-Development/dp/1568817231/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512071016&sr=1-2&keywords=math+game+programming

Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics:

https://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Programming-Computer-Graphics-Third/dp/1435458869/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512071016&sr=1-1&keywords=math+game+programming

Someone advocates in favor of one of these? Because is very expensive to ship to Brazil, so probably for now, I only can buy one of them.

3 minutes ago, Mike2343 said:

There is a newer version of that book.

48 minutes ago, Luhan M. said:

Someone advocates in favor of one of these? Because is very expensive to ship to Brazil, so probably for now, I only can buy one of them.

Before you look for endorsements you should look at the table of contents of each and see if it has what you need.  Notice the 3d in alot of the titles... if you're doing 2d then they might not be of as much help... skipping things like the seperating axis theorem.

12 hours ago, Infinisearch said:

Before you look for endorsements you should look at the table of contents of each and see if it has what you need.  Notice the 3d in alot of the titles... if you're doing 2d then they might not be of as much help... skipping things like the seperating axis theorem.

I thought that most of the things applied in 3D somehow could be applied to 2D as well. I'm just looking for a basic book to start, because in most of them the prerequisites judged by the author I would have to wait a little bit until I advance in my study through khan academy.

Edited by Luhan M.

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By CocoaColetto
      I am basically brand new to the gaming industry business wise although I have been a gamer for years. I officially started my game publishing company, and being as though I am only 20, I have no connects to the gaming industry. Of course, I'm still going to do more internet research, but I thought why not ask folks who may have business hands in the gaming community? If anyone is questioning, my game prototype is basically done (I designed it myself) and its very detailed and I am going to start searching for a team to help me build it. Thank you. 
    • By Shtabbbe
      I've had a game idea for a while, and I wanted to finally try to create it.
      Its a 2D open-world tile-based MMO. The concept is it is one world and multiplayer only, so everyone shares one world no matter region, platform, etc.
      I am having problems finding out what to use to start development, I tried Unity but saw some of the negatives and refrained and now im stuck, could anyone recommend some intermediate friendly 2D engines that can support what I am looking for? Preferably in languages that are or are somewhat like Java, C#, Python, JavaScript, Lua.
      Thanks for your help, im very new at this if you cant tell
    • By 3dmodelerguy
      A few questions about some c++ code
      So I am starting to get back into c++ after about 12 - 14 years away from it (and even back then, my level of knowledge was maybe a little above beginner) to do some game / SDL programming. I was following a tutorial to get at least a basic starting point for an entity component system and it works however there was some code that I don't quite understand even after looking around little.
      First pice of code is:
      T* component(new T(std::forward<TArguments>(arguments)...)); This seems to be assigning the `component` with the results of what is in the parentheses though normally I would expect this:
      T* component = new T(std::forward<TArguments>(arguments)...); Is this just syntax preference or does the compiler do something different with the parentheses (it is weird to me as when I see that, I think it is a function call)?
      The second piece of code I think I understand the general idea of what it is doing but some of the specific are escaping me:
      template <typename T, typename... TArguments> T& Entity::addComponent(TArguments&&... arguments) {   T* component = new T(std::forward<TArguments>(arguments)...); So from my understanding, the first line would basically take this:
      entity->addComponent<TransformComponent, int, int, int, int>(x, y, width, height); and take of the first item in the template and assign the to T and then "group" (not sure the correct term) the rest of the items as a collection of some sort and then the `...` on the second line would group the arguments (that would need to match the template group) that were passed in. Then the third line is effectively converting the template / passed in arguments to be called like this:
      TransformComponent* component = new TransformComponent(x, y, width, height); The parts that are a bit confusing to me is first the `&&`. From what I have read (from stack overflow), that symbol means rvalue reference or reference to an argument that is about to be destroyed. Not quite sure what it means by it about to be destroyed.
      The second part, which I think related to using `&&`, is the `std::forward<TArguments>`. The explainations that I have found so far as are bit confusing to me.
      I will continue to try to find the answer to these confusions but I though maybe someone here might have an explanation that might make more sense to me. I would also consider it quite possible that there is some prerequisite knowledge that I might not have (I mean I think I have a decent understanding of pointers and references) so if there is other stuff I should looking into, that would be great too.
    • By CountBram
      Hello I am looking for advice to what I should do next as I just completed the Unreal Developer Course on Udemy and now am at a lost as what to do farther as practice and to expand my knowledge. My background is 2 years studying college in Videogame Design and 3 years working on 4 years studying Software Engineering in college. I am mainly focusing on using my C++ knowledge with Unreal Engine to make indie games but I do also know Java, and C# as well, but I do not know Unity. I am welcoming any advice that can help with my current situation with my current skill set
    • By Andrea Richards
      If this is posted in the wrong forum or could use more tags, I apologise. This my first post.
      I am using ASSIMP to import FBX files for my system. Using Blender, I use Empties to create attachment points. Is there a way to get to these or detect these easily? The only way I can come up with is by going through the rootNode, and all of the child nodes, looking for names that match what I have entered. Which is quite cumbersome. Surely there has to be a better way of detecting an Empty ?

Many thanks

Andrea

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!