2018 New Year Challenge: Missile Command

Started by
68 comments, last by LanceJZ 6 years, 2 months ago

I cheated a bit on the requirements so it's ok if I don't get an award or something, but I decided to try something different by mixing mechanics from another game. The core idea of the game is still the same — things are coming from the top and you need to explode them before they reach bottom, but in a different style!

Took me about 2 weeks to make from scratch, sprites specially took me a long time to draw (and you can see I'm not very talented on this front), but I didn't want to use original materials. I'm fine tuning it now, will try to write more about it later ;)

Advertisement

I like the concept, It will be a very addictive game on mobile.

I like it EDuck.  I would love to see those "explosions" turned into particles. The game looks fun, you need to think where you are going to place the bombs.

if (Try()) Do();
else DoNot();
On 1/21/2018 at 4:03 PM, Tazbird said:

Hello all,

I think mine will be titled "How not to make Missile Command" Hoping to finish up my entry this week- Here's where it's at so far...

large.5a650c5e97e3b_2018-01-2115_53_06-ProjectileDominion.jpg.12724b63adcfb63e30b0ee959445a77c.jpg

Ok - here's my finished project: 

Very simple controls and a basic game-play concept - Press Space to start, Q to quit and use the mouse to aim and LMB or RMB to fire from the left or right sides.  You'll get a break between waves but that's about it.  

Link to Executable: 

Windows 10 - http://www.derekrharlan.com/ProjDom/ProjDom.zip 

Just unzip into a folder and launch MissileCommand.Exe 

Link to Source: 

Python 3 using pygame  http://www.derekrharlan.com/ProjDom/ProjDomSrc.zip

And if you don't feel like downloading that here's a video and my screenshot gallery:

hello @Tazbird  can I ask you to add something more? when we shoot it will be nice if you put a sound or an animation to show that we did something. good job dude.

Does the challenge end on January 31st 2018? I might be able to make a clone version. :) Just don't know how much time I got!

Programmer and 3D Artist

13 hours ago, lilington said:

hello @Tazbird  can I ask you to add something more? when we shoot it will be nice if you put a sound or an animation to show that we did something. good job dude.

Thanks @lilington- that's great idea! I added a launching sound when the player fires - I updated the downloads for the exe and source - same links as above

11 hours ago, Rutin said:

Does the challenge end on January 31st 2018? I might be able to make a clone version. :) Just don't know how much time I got!

Yes, January 31 is the last day to submit for this challenge's official deadline.

Nominations for the next challenge are open!

Admin for GameDev.net.

8 hours ago, Tazbird said:

Thanks @lilington- that's great idea! I added a launching sound when the player fires - I updated the downloads for the exe and source - same links as above

better feeling right? good job anyway

I saw this topic 2 days ago. So this game was a bit rushed. I never played Missile Command so MissileComm4nd has a pretty unique gameplay I used BubbleTrouble as a layout for this MissileComm4nd. I wanted to keep graphics and effects at minimum as possible. I wanted them to look 1980'ish.

Keys:

• spacebar - navigate faster
  • [asd] / mouse - shoot
  • esc - return home

https://mystikkogames.itch.io/missilecomm4nd

MissileComm4nd3.jpg

MissileComm4nd2.jpg

MissileComm4nd1.jpg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement