• Advertisement
mister345

C++ Bit manipulation returning wrong data

Hi, I'm trying to return two 32 bit int values (_mouseX and _mouseY) from a function by packing them into a 64 bit value first, then unpacking them elsewhere in the code when I use them. However, the data is completely incorrect when I get it through this function. I already confirmed that the original _mouseX and _mouseY data and the SetOrientation functions are fine; the problem is somewhere in the bitshifting or maybe casting or teh types Im using in this GetMouseXY function. Could you please have a look? Thanks.

long int Input::GetMouseXY()
    {
        return (_mouseX << 32) |_mouseY;
    }

long int mouseY = pInput->GetMouseXY() & 0xFFFFFFFF;
    long int mouseX = (pInput->GetMouseXY() >> 32) & 0xFFFFFFFF;
    _CamPosition->SetOrientation(XMFLOAT3((float)mouseY, (float)mouseX, 0.f));

Advertisement

Are the original _mouseX and _mouseY int's? They should be casted to 64-bit numbers before you are able to correctly shift them 32 bits.

32 minutes ago, DaBono said:

Are the original _mouseX and _mouseY int's? They should be casted to 64-bit numbers before you are able to correctly shift them 32 bits.

I tried casting them and the data is still wrong.

{
    return ((long int)_mouseX << 32) | (long int)_mouseY;
}

The mouse (in Windows) is given as a 16 bit signed value, so just use <<16, >>16, and 0xFFFF.

Also, a long int is a 32 bit value, not 64.

15 minutes ago, mister345 said:

I tried casting them and the data is still wrong.

{
    return ((long int)_mouseX << 32) | (long int)_mouseY;
}

I believe "long int" is still 32bits in Windows. Try using "long long" or (u)int64_t

22 minutes ago, Mk_ said:

The mouse (in Windows) is given as a 16 bit signed value, so just use <<16, >>16, and 0xFFFF.

Also, a long int is a 32 bit value, not 64.

tried your theory about 16 bits but still doesnt work. Should it be an unsigned int or not? Couldnt the mouse x or y values be negative? Also, if it should be an unsigned int, maybe it needs to be stored inside a 64 int anyway bc a 32 bit int could get messed up by the sign bit? Just guessing now.

int Input::GetMouseXY()
{
    return (_mouseX << 16) | _mouseY;
}

int mouseY = pInput->GetMouseXY() & 0xFFFF;
    int mouseX = (pInput->GetMouseXY() >> 16) & 0xFFFF;

Check the definition of _mouseX & Y. Windows desktop uses SIGNED 16 bit values for the mouse, but maybe they're being converted to int by whatever library you're using. If you go the 64bit router use __int64.

It's not clear how you get mouse input, but if you use the windows mouse messages (WM_MOUSEMOVE, etc) then the values received there are (signed) 16bit as Mk_ stated.

If bit manipulation is giving you trouble, then you can use unions as an alternative.

2 hours ago, mister345 said:

{
        return (_mouseX << 32) |_mouseY;
    }

As others have stated, that is probably not a 64bit result and you are loosing the x position, change the code as follows to guarantee things:

int64_t Input::GetMouseXY()
    {
        return (int64_t(_mouseX) << 32) | int64_t(_mouseY);
    }

Alternatively, and more difficult to get wrong or mess up later, use a combination of a union and bit fields:

union MousePosition
{
  int64_t Data;
  struct
  {
    int32_t X : 32;
    int32_t Y : 32;
  } Position;
};

Then you can:

{
       MousePosition result;
       result.Position.X = _mouseX;
       result.Position.Y = _mouseY;
       return result.Data;
    }

The bit field makes the code more verbose but also more understandable.  It will do the magic of bit shifting and compositing the result for you automatically in a safe manner.  (Note that in the above case, if you really want 32 bit values, you don't need the bitfield, I put it in there since I usually pack more data into that structure.)  Unpacking the data is the following:

MousePosition pos;
pos.Data = theInt64ReturnedAbove;
int32_t x = pos.Position.X;
int32_t y = pos.Position.Y;

43 minutes ago, All8Up said:

As others have stated, that is probably not a 64bit result and you are loosing the x position, change the code as follows to guarantee things:

{
        return (int64_t(_mouseX) << 32) | int64_t(_mouseY);
    }

Alternatively, and more difficult to get wrong or mess up later, use a combination of a union and bit fields:

union MousePosition
{
  int64_t Data;
  struct
  {
    int32_t X : 32;
    int32_t Y : 32;
  } Position;
};

Then you can:

{
       MousePosition result;
       result.Position.X = _mouseX;
       result.Position.Y = _mouseY;
       return result.Data;
    }

The bit field makes the code more verbose but also more understandable.  It will do the magic of bit shifting and compositing the result for you automatically in a safe manner.  (Note that in the above case, if you really want 32 bit values, you don't need the bitfield, I put it in there since I usually pack more data into that structure.)  Unpacking the data is the following:

MousePosition pos;
pos.Data = theInt64ReturnedAbove;
int32_t x = pos.Position.X;
int32_t y = pos.Position.Y;

Very interesting. I tried your way of using int64_t

__int64 Input::GetMouseXY()
{
    return (__int64(_mouseX) << 32) | __int64(_mouseY);
}

__int64 mouseXY = pInput->GetMouseXY();
    __int64 mouseY = mouseXY & 0xFFFFFFFF;
    __int64 mouseX = (mouseXY >> 32) & 0xFFFFFFFF;

and both x and y rotation start out locked at a 10 digit number around -2100000000, but if you keep looking downwards and do a "somersault" with the mouse so you end up with a pitch of over 360, then do the same "winding up over 360" with the yaw, then suddenly the mouse look works perfectly for both x and y. So for some reason this implementation makes values between 0 and 360 invalid. (Notice I also had to reverse X and Y when passing them into SetOrientation().

Absolutely bizarre. Anyway, the code is here if anyone's curious.

https://github.com/mister51213/DirectX11Engine/blob/Restructure/DirectX11Engine/Input.cpp

https://github.com/mister51213/DirectX11Engine/blob/Restructure/DirectX11Engine/World.cpp