• Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Krypt0n
      Finally the ray tracing geekyness starts:
      lets collect some interesting articles, I start with:
    • By lubbe75
      What is the best practice when you want to draw a surface (for instance a triangle strip) with a uniform color?
      At the moment I send vertices to the shader, where each vertice has both position and color information. Since all vertices for that triangle strip have the same color I thought I could reduce memory use by sending the color separate somehow. A vertex could then be represented by three floats instead of seven (xyz instead of xys + rgba).
      Does it make sense? What's the best practice?
    • By ZachBethel
      Hey all,
      I'm trying to understand implicit state promotion for directx 12 as well as its intended use case. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn899226(v=vs.85).aspx#implicit_state_transitions
      I'm attempting to utilize copy queues and finding that there's a lot of book-keeping I need to do to first "pre-transition" from my Graphics / Compute Read-Only state (P-SRV | NP-SRV) to Common, Common to Copy Dest, perform the copy on the copy command list, transition back to common, and then find another graphics command list to do the final Common -> (P-SRV | NP-SRV) again.
      With state promotion, it would seem that I can 'nix the Common -> Copy Dest, Copy Dest -> Common bits on the copy queue easily enough, but I'm curious whether I could just keep all of my "read-only" buffers and images in the common state and effectively not perform any barriers at all.
      This seems to be encouraged by the docs, but I'm not sure I fully understand the implications. Does this sound right?
    • By NikiTo
      I need to share heap between RTV and Stencil. I need to render to a texture and without copying it(only changing the barriers, etc) to be able to use that texture as stencil. without copying nothing around. But the creating of the placed resource fails. I think it could be because of the D3D12_RESOURCE_DESC has 8_UINT format, but D3D12_RESOURCE_FLAG_ALLOW_DEPTH_STENCIL enabled too, and MSDN says Stencil does not support that format. Is the format the problem? And if the format is the problem, what format I have to use?

For the texture of that resource I have the flags like: "D3D12_RESOURCE_FLAG_ALLOW_RENDER_TARGET | D3D12_RESOURCE_FLAG_ALLOW_DEPTH_STENCIL" and it fails, but when I remove the allow-stencil flag, it works.
    • By ritzmax72
      I know vertex buffer is just another GPU resource represented by ID3D12Resource, but why is it said that vertex buffer don’t need a descriptor heap??
      Other resources like depth/stencil resource, swap chain’s buffer need to have descriptor heaps. How does these resources differ from vertex buffer.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

DX12 Dx12 multinode API's

I apologize for creating multiple questions here for dx12 since information is sparse so far. Anyway in some Dx12 api's, there's a node mask for multiple node support, for e.g. D3D12_COMMAND_QUEUE_DESC for CreateCommandQueue & CreateCommandList itself has a node mask. However, these API's are all called on the D3D12Device itself, and when creating the D12Device (D3D12CreateDevice), there isn't an option for it to be a multi-adapter device; you just pass in a single adapter. So what is the point of the node masks in the other API calls? Is there some other use case I am not aware of yet?