Unity or Unreal engine

Started by
6 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 6 years, 4 months ago

Hello, I am new programmer, and I would like to know if it is better to strat making game on Unity or with UnrealEngine ?

I want to make android and iOS game.

Thank you

Michael

Advertisement

Both engines are great engines. It really boils down to if you prefer the IDE and scripting languages of Unity or Unreal. Everyone here has a preference for one or the other, but you can't really go wrong with either for most game projects. 

What experience do you have with programming? What experience do you have in general with regards to game dev? What are you trying to build? Can you please give us more details so that we can provide some more specific advice.

I'd also recommend reading the FAQs here if you haven't already as they can probably also point you in the right direction.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

UE4 has blueprint system so You can make most of your game without programming. But if You would like to You can use C++. 

Unity is better for programmers. Both engines have lots of materials and huge documentations. 

Try both?  Go through a couple of tutorials for each, see which clicks with you better.  (Also, if you can find tutorials that directly relate to what you want to build ..that can help tremendously)

I have it understood that Unity is still more optimized for mobile than UE4, but UE4 is "more powerful" as far as the graphics performance goes.  I think if you are asking this question though, you are probably not at a point where you care about that.

My question would be...why only these 2 options?  If your game has to be 3d, or you have to use a free engine, I can see that.  But if you would be interested in 2d, gamemaker studio 2 may be a much better option.  The catch is just the price, but it brings lots of advantages to the table that are worth considering if 2d and a budget could be available.

Hello Myke, 

Both engine have good tutorials and solid documentation to help you get started.  Game development (particularly solo) requires a wide variety of skills.  If you strong point is programming it may be worth mentioning that Unity3D has a more robust asset store than its counter part.  Particularly, when you consider free asset packs that you can use on early projects.  That being said both will provide you access to A+ materials and you game can be prototyped with assets you create (even simple shapes will do).  I myself am a programmer professionally and I find the thought of creating "artsy things" intimidating.  As a programmer particularly an early one it may be worth mentioning that C++ is the primary language of UE4 and C# (legacy) is the primary programming language for Unity.  If you have a background in either language that may help you decide.  If you are coming from a Java or Python background, I would recommend C#.  

In general when this topic comes up I recommend Unity3d.  It has a large friendly community.  The learning resources are accessible even to novices.  It has a large amount of free assets to help you in the early stages (great for a new solo developer with few contacts in the industry).  

In the end I strongly encourage you to try both of the "BIG 2" engines to find what fits for you. 

The Quarry Works Creed

We who shape mere stone must always envision cathedrals

3 hours ago, kburkhart84 said:

Unity is still more optimized for mobile than UE4, but UE4 is "more powerful" as far as the graphics performance goes.

That is indeed how it is.

I use both Unity and Unreal for mobile games. Unreal has much better quality tools and just performs much better. It has much better looking shaders, better LOD system, better UI tools and better everything really.

However: Unreal makes your game 60mb larger for the exact same game as in Unity. Unreal's development starts slow and builds momentum. Unreal is also aimed at more experienced developers.

You need to inform Unreal when you publish a game, this is a real pain if you also need to have your game reviewed by Facebook and the App store.

Unity has some bonuses of it's own. It's very-very easy to use adverts and micro transactions in your games, as in one click easy. It's very easy to get your game onto the store, Unity has a license system build in. Unity has a better 2D engine.

Unity is 10 times easier to learn than Unreal.

TLTR: Unity is better for publishing games and Unreal is better for making quality games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement