• Advertisement

Selling Level Design and Mechanics

Hello,

I have been working on a level design asset for a 2D RPG and I was wondering what would be the best way to push the concept in order to get additional assistance with improving on the idea. I know that a prototype/demo of the level is a good start, and that is what I am working on currently, but with this being just an idea for a dungeon style level what other methods could be used to get others to see my work? 

Advertisement

Do what trailers do. Take only the strongest points of your level design and show them well in your demo. If your level design has one very unique and interesting feature, showing off this feature alone might be enough to get people's interest.

Your title says "selling", your text says "get others to see my work".  Which is it?

If your goal is selling, that isn't going to happen. Nobody wants to buy it.  If you build it into a full game then someone may be interested in publishing the completed game, but they won't buy it.

If your goal is to get others to see it, social media is your friend. If you're looking for eyeballs to review it and give feedback, posts in the appropriate forums here on this site and posts to appropriate forums on sites like Reddit can get some of that.

You said level design asset. By asset do you mean graphic elements for the level? Because when I think of assets I think of graphics. If that is the case, you can seperate all your graphics into their building blocks (platforms, grounds, walls, etc.), and then sell the package on a place like GraphicRiver. People can then design their own levels using your assets.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By GhostarWhite7
      Today again I painted the next drawing. I look at him and I understand that something is wrong in him. Can problems with the prospect or with black and white or with the composition or is everything terrible? help me figure it out, help.. My english is not very well, i'm from russia and i want to draw for game

• By khoa dong
      Hi, 
      New simple concept, one touch game. Please try and give your feedback 
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.LittleRabbit.BitRolling
      Like it  : https://www.facebook.com/bitrolling/

• By a2j2tiwari
      Hey guys, 

How is everyone doing? I am new to this forum and I thought what better what to introduce than show off your work? 

I am a Pixel Artist, Concept Artist and now delving into the world of painting. 

• By Andre Zunino
      Hello.
      First, a bit of context. I'm having my first contact with the entity-component-system architectural pattern in the simple shoot'em up game I'm writing. I appreciate the flexibility and decoupling the pattern promotes. So far, I believe I have the basics down. I have already defined a handful of components and systems which operate based on them.
      I'm now looking to add a cannon to the player's spaceship. I defined a Cannon component and attached it to the player entity (IOW, I "tagged" the player entity as having that capability). That component has a single member which indicates the cannon's rate of fire. Then I defined a PlayerWeapon system that is responsible for actually firing. At the moment, all it's doing is write a message to the console. Because no actual rate control is implemented yet, each press of the assigned fire button causes multiple messages to be output in quick succession. I would like to implement a sort of debouncing mechanism to have the fire rate respect what the cannon component dictates, e.g. fire once every 500ms.
      Now for the actual question on ECS modeling. Suppose I'd use a simple elapsed time accumulator to decide when the next shot should be allowed to fire. Where would that information be stored? Should the system be responsible for managing that type of information? Or should systems be considered completely stateless? In that case, the accumulator would be stored in the cannon component, along with the existing fire rate. Would you kindly share some advice on how to handle a situation like the above? As stated, I'm new to ECS and would like to make sure I implement the concepts as properly as possible.
      Thank you.
    • By Luhan M.
      I tried to implement the command pattern explained in this book : http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/command.html. I'm looking up for someone which could revise my code and see if I did implement it the right way, or even if I did deviate a lot from how it should be implemented.
      Here's the code : https://github.com/Luhanmacedo/Command-Pattern  
      Questions:
      I didn't understand if the base class (Command) could be modified to introduce methods as I did to facilitate implementation details in the derived classes. What would be a good way to map the buttons according to the configuration the player wants to use, such as X for Jump and Y to shoot.  
      P.S. :  If it's not possible to review the whole code, tips in some parts are welcome as well.
  • Advertisement