Seeking True Economic Games

Started by
16 comments, last by A Jones 6 years, 4 months ago
17 hours ago, Abram Jones said:

Have you attempted to make a game that does this? If so I would like to see it. I am working on one that incorporates all these economic elements that you mention (including multiple currencies)

Well I have a blog you can check out 

However that being said, I've only just finished up the type of engine I'll need to capture what I envision for this game.  I've attempted to make this game reflecting better economics four times.  The first one was an expanded rule base for Axis and Allies that incorporated trade, but at that time I had no clue how the economy works and nor did any of my friends, It was all guess work.  The second was a Visual Basic project I made where you could assign your population to various industries such as Manufacturing, Mining, Energy, Transportation, Agriculture and Banking. I made it so you could freely choose how much money you wanted to inject in the whole system.  I was headed somewhere with the idea but it had major flaws and limitations to the approach.  The third focused more on individual people and was made in Visual Studio.  Again I ran into concept limitations and got caught up in over-complication of useless things. 

Now my final approach is to create a 3D world where individual people are simulated, each with their own respective needs.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to programme a successful simulation much like Sim-City.  In Sim-City you zone out the land and build infrastructure and the game simulates the evolution of a city depending on your zoning choices.  Well similarly I'm hoping to create a Sim-Civilization cross where depending on the zoning, policy and building choices you make, those choices will directly determine how wealthy and powerful your people will become, along with what they practise, believe and invent, reflecting a society.  I've narrowed down my approach to early/primitive societies.  I have no idea it its going to work, or if it'll be fun, but I'm going to take a stab at it.

How about you?  What is your game all about?  What's your angle?

17 hours ago, Abram Jones said:

I did a quick search for Imperial 2030 and it looks like it can be played online. I may check it out... can you give any details on the economic tools the game has?

The game has 6 playable countries, U.S, Europe, India, China, Russia and Brazil.  Each player is able to purchase bonds for any given country.  If a player owns the most bonds of that respective country they are able to play as the military element on the country in question.  As a country expands its borders it earns more money ( and is able to pay out rates on bonds, bonus money to the owning player, and increase it's military presence ) through taxes. Every so often the bonds pay out a rate to the players which the players can then use to buy more bonds.  Players are not limited to which country they can buy bonds for, and they don't need to own a majority stake in a country, in which case they play as the Swiss Bank.  They player with the most wealth at the end wins.

Advertisement
13 hours ago, Awoken said:

Well I have a blog you can check out 

However that being said, I've only just finished up the type of engine I'll need to capture what I envision for this game.  I've attempted to make this game reflecting better economics four times.  The first one was an expanded rule base for Axis and Allies that incorporated trade, but at that time I had no clue how the economy works and nor did any of my friends, It was all guess work.  The second was a Visual Basic project I made where you could assign your population to various industries such as Manufacturing, Mining, Energy, Transportation, Agriculture and Banking. I made it so you could freely choose how much money you wanted to inject in the whole system.  I was headed somewhere with the idea but it had major flaws and limitations to the approach.  The third focused more on individual people and was made in Visual Studio.  Again I ran into concept limitations and got caught up in over-complication of useless things. 

Now my final approach is to create a 3D world where individual people are simulated, each with their own respective needs.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to programme a successful simulation much like Sim-City.  In Sim-City you zone out the land and build infrastructure and the game simulates the evolution of a city depending on your zoning choices.  Well similarly I'm hoping to create a Sim-Civilization cross where depending on the zoning, policy and building choices you make, those choices will directly determine how wealthy and powerful your people will become, along with what they practise, believe and invent, reflecting a society.  I've narrowed down my approach to early/primitive societies.  I have no idea it its going to work, or if it'll be fun, but I'm going to take a stab at it.

How about you?  What is your game all about?  What's your angle?

The game has 6 playable countries, U.S, Europe, India, China, Russia and Brazil.  Each player is able to purchase bonds for any given country.  If a player owns the most bonds of that respective country they are able to play as the military element on the country in question.  As a country expands its borders it earns more money ( and is able to pay out rates on bonds, bonus money to the owning player, and increase it's military presence ) through taxes. Every so often the bonds pay out a rate to the players which the players can then use to buy more bonds.  Players are not limited to which country they can buy bonds for, and they don't need to own a majority stake in a country, in which case they play as the Swiss Bank.  They player with the most wealth at the end wins.

Your game:

It looks like you are on the right track with this, impressive thoughts on economy in your latest post. I'm following your project now. If you complete this you will join my game and one other (that I know of off the top of my head) to have multiple currencies. Not to be confused with the "multiple currencies" of "pay to win" games, which is unfortunately corrupting the term. I'm sure there are other legitimate multiple currency games buried somewhere, but I've never come across them in my searches... however, I mostly look at games featuring investment before anything else. I'm very interested in seeing how the economy in your game turns out. I do like the concept of the sims and civilization... both games had huge potential... but the economic side of each game is absolute garbage. If you could improve this you will create a winning recipe (in my opinion). In the last few years games are finally starting to develop real economies with loan systems... but still not much going on in regards to currency and share trading. Your game looks good too.

What I'm doing:

I just have a simultaneous turn based MMO board game which is still under development (but largely playable). It features multiple currencies as mentioned as well as currency trading, shares of stock (including takeovers and dividends), bonds and bond trading, real estate, retail, and other industrial elements such as transportation, construction, manufacturing, resource gathering, technology, etc. One unique element of my game is that each "lot" has 2 ownership values... normal ownership and sovereignty. So a player may have normal ownership of a lot while another has sovereignty and is able to set zoning and taxes/tariffs. Another unique mechanic is culture, in game characters automatically join certain abstract cultures depending on the situation, this can lead to cultural rivalry and cooperation (it's hard to explain here). Players can also "outfit" their in game characters to other player's groups for any purpose such as employment, military, etc. For example, I may have a group ABC and you may have a group XYZ. If you affiliate ABC I can outfit my character(s) to XYZ and that character will then be temporarily under both our control. Other than these ideas natural disasters, elections, crime, reproduction, healthcare, terraforming, and piracy are also in the game.

Imperial 2030:

Well it sounds like that game would qualify for this economic list. Does the first Imperial have these same economic features? Also, can you sell back bonds that you purchase?

11 hours ago, Abram Jones said:

I do like the concept of the sims and civilization... both games had huge potential... but the economic side of each game is absolute garbage. If you could improve this you will create a winning recipe (in my opinion).

Thanks Abram. 

11 hours ago, Abram Jones said:

Another unique mechanic is culture, in game characters automatically join certain abstract cultures depending on the situation, this can lead to cultural rivalry and cooperation (it's hard to explain here). Players can also "outfit" their in game characters to other player's groups for any purpose such as employment, military, etc. For example, I may have a group ABC and you may have a group XYZ. If you affiliate ABC I can outfit my character(s) to XYZ and that character will then be temporarily under both our control.

Interesting.  I think we're kind of approaching these themes in a similar fashion.  In the game I'm making it'll be all about influence, and if you gain majority influence over somebody you can dictate their actions.  Similarly more than one player can influence a simulated person at the same time.  I'd be interested to learn more about how you've incorporated the cultural elements you mentioned. 

I'll let you know others have used GameDev.net to showcase their boargames.  Do you a website or blog one could checkout?

No, you can't sell back bonds in Imperial 2030.  I don't think there are previous versions of the game. 

12 hours ago, Awoken said:

Thanks Abram. 

Interesting.  I think we're kind of approaching these themes in a similar fashion.  In the game I'm making it'll be all about influence, and if you gain majority influence over somebody you can dictate their actions.  Similarly more than one player can influence a simulated person at the same time.  I'd be interested to learn more about how you've incorporated the cultural elements you mentioned. 

I'll let you know others have used GameDev.net to showcase their boargames.  Do you a website or blog one could checkout?

No, you can't sell back bonds in Imperial 2030.  I don't think there are previous versions of the game. 

It's actually an online board game styled video game based off a board game I made, it can be played online at http://tacticaloverload.nfshost.com  When do you think you will have your first release?

Nice, I'm going to check your site out.  As for a release date for my project.  I wish I knew.  If I had the money I'd open a video game studio to get this project going, but for now I'm going to see if concept is doable and fun.  If the latter turns out to be yes, then I'm going to take aim at doing a kick-starter campaign to make a solid attempt at turning this proof of concept project into a real game.  That is my intention, step by step.  But it's taken me 4 years to get to where I am today, and I'd imagine 4 more to get it to a good enough level where I could consider doing to kick-starter. 

Abram, I just registered for your game and gave it a quick whirl.  There are a lot of similarities between what the two of us are tying to do, kinda cool.  Looking good so far, it'll be neat to see what you do with it as time goes on.

On 12/16/2017 at 4:25 PM, Awoken said:

Nice, I'm going to check your site out.  As for a release date for my project.  I wish I knew.  If I had the money I'd open a video game studio to get this project going, but for now I'm going to see if concept is doable and fun.  If the latter turns out to be yes, then I'm going to take aim at doing a kick-starter campaign to make a solid attempt at turning this proof of concept project into a real game.  That is my intention, step by step.  But it's taken me 4 years to get to where I am today, and I'd imagine 4 more to get it to a good enough level where I could consider doing to kick-starter. 

Believe me, I know how hard it is. I totally understand.

On 12/16/2017 at 4:46 PM, Awoken said:

Abram, I just registered for your game and gave it a quick whirl.  There are a lot of similarities between what the two of us are tying to do, kinda cool.  Looking good so far, it'll be neat to see what you do with it as time goes on.

Thanks! Hope to see you stop in once in a while.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement