Why most companies pick Unreal Engine 4 instead of CryEngine 5

Started by
12 comments, last by ferrous 6 years, 3 months ago
8 hours ago, Styves said:

Now you have me super curious about what part you had to work on.

I was adding PSVR support. The existing Oculus support was a complete hack - it read pitch/yaw movements from the headset and injected fake mouse x/y movement commands to some XML-routed input mammoth (so forget about HMD roll or position tracking -- sickness city coming right up!). As well, every engine will have some kind of GPU abstraction -- e.g. in Unreal it's called RHI -- but I found myself thoroughly confused as to why, in the PS4 renderer source files, there was a mix of Cry's own abstract types, and actual D3D11 code! :o "WTF, you can't compile D3D11 on a PS4!" I thought... Well, some numpty apparently thought that doing their own half-complete port of some parts of D3D11 over to the PS4 and then continuing to write a mixture of partially-abstracted/partially-raw-D3D11 code would be easier than actually making a solid GPU abstraction layer first...

17 hours ago, ryanbeezle said:

The popular term "but can it play Crysis?" leads one to believe that you choose CryEngine when you want to benchmark/fry your video card. Unreal Engine has been proven through the ages to work smoothly and still look pretty good on a variety of hardware. CryEngine has gotten more optimized over the years, the but the sluggish reputation still clouds over it unfortunately.

FWIW, in my opinion, part of the "but can it play Crysis" meme is also because Crysis (and the original Far Cry) were graphically outstanding for their release date. Crysis was a GPU killer, but not without excuse (it drew dynamic jungles at a time where that was a dream feature)! Also, professionally, Unreal has always been known for being extremely bloated and having sluggish performance / overly generic architecture. But that's both a feature and a bug depending on your situation ;) 

Advertisement
On 1/4/2018 at 10:05 AM, ryanbeezle said:

The popular term "but can it play Crysis?" leads one to believe that you choose CryEngine when you want to benchmark/fry your video card. Unreal Engine has been proven through the ages to work smoothly and still look pretty good on a variety of hardware.

Ironically, the exact reason why I don't choose Unreal Engine because it killed my graphic card, literally killed it - cost me a lot of trouble :D I'm still afraid to play games made by Unreal Engine, even when my new laptop is better than the old one.

About CryEngine, I searched around the internet, but I didn't find anyone said anything about CryEngine damage their graphic card.

Using your graphics card might cause it to fail, the fact that if failed while you were doing Unreal is just the luck of the draw.  The reason you don't see CryEngine posts about graphics cards, is probably because of sheer numbers, Unreal is everywhere, CryEngine is...almost nowhere.  (Or maybe CryEngine users are less likely to blame a software program instead of the the hardware or driver.)

EDIT:  Or...just do a search for Crysis killed video card, I see lots of entries.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-linux-society-1000004/crysis-killed-my-graphics-card-26123086/

http://www.pcgamer.com/crysis-blew-my-pc-up-and-taught-me-a-valuable-lesson/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/848964

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement