Looking for game engine with specific physics

Started by
4 comments, last by TerraSkilll 6 years, 4 months ago

I've been doing some digging and come to the conclusion that I'm not really qualified to identify a game engine for my project alone so I came here asking for some advice.

My game idea involves movement inside a sphere where you always have your feet on the ground (the "walls" of the sphere), basically an inverted planet. It's supposed to be multiplayer so it's not just you moving in the world. When you jump, gravity (or force etc) pulls your character towards where it jumped from and the character model should have its feet pointing that way.

I'm really new to this and my own conclusion is that it messes with core functionality of Unreal Engine 4 which makes it really hard for me as a beginner to wrap my head around. It comes with practice but It's hard for me to come to a fair conclusion on what engine to use based on my knowledge. Therefore I'm asking for some guidance. I have most experience with the Unreal Engine.

What engine would you recommend?

Is the game idea with being inside a sphere difficult to do in general? Do you have any tips?

I'm kinda lost at the moment so thank you for the help!

Gravity.png

I'm new to this.

Advertisement

You're looking for something akin to the "physics of Super Mario Galaxy" which, as far as I know, it's not standard engine physics, but custom-made for the game.

As I understand, it's not much different from other ground snapping solutions. You don't use gravity as a force pushing to a single direction. You use a downward raycast for the in the vertical player axis (Y, for example). If the raycast hits the mesh, you snap the player into that direction, and rotate it accordingly. Jumps and movement are based on the current rotation.

One article about it:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131997/games_demystified_super_mario_.php

An example (not Mario Galaxy):

great :))

On 2017-12-13 at 3:35 PM, TerraSkilll said:

You're looking for something akin to the "physics of Super Mario Galaxy" which, as far as I know, it's not standard engine physics, but custom-made for the game.

As I understand, it's not much different from other ground snapping solutions. You don't use gravity as a force pushing to a single direction. You use a downward raycast for the in the vertical player axis (Y, for example). If the raycast hits the mesh, you snap the player into that direction, and rotate it accordingly. Jumps and movement are based on the current rotation.

One article about it:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131997/games_demystified_super_mario_.php

An example (not Mario Galaxy):

Yeah, exactly! I was really losing hope when looking into gravity. This was my first thought how it would work but somehow I ended up looking only into gravity. You're a lifesaver! Thanks a bunch! Would you say I'm free to pick whatever engine I see fit if I do it this way or is there someone you'd recommend?

Things become so difficult if you look at it from the wrong angle. Thanks again dude!

I'm new to this.

I remembered this technique as soon as you described the problem. Recently, I saw an academy project that used something similar, so I knew it was possible.

Most 3D engines are capable of that, so use the one you're most familiar with.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement