• Advertisement

sued because game character says "I like the movie Idiocrazy"?

I've read that it's a bad idea to use brand names in a game.

My game character says "I like the movie Idiocrazy."

Is this already illegal? or sue-able?

Advertisement

Note: I am not a lawyer; this is not legal advice.

That wouldn't be trademark infringement as long as it is perfectly clear that you are not affiliated with the movie in any way. Whether that's clear or not would be for a court to decide (anyone can sue anyone for anything, but it's a matter of how likely they are to win).

To be perfectly in the clear, I would do one of three things:

1. Ask the company that made the movie if they would be interested in an advertising deal. Not very likely for an old movie, but if they are interested, you could get something out of it. You could even search for another party interested in such an advertising deal if you choose to go this route.

2. Put a notice indicating that the game has no affiliation whatsoever with the movie.

3. Remove the line, or replace it with mention of a movie that doesn't exist.

I suspect the main reason you see so many TV shows and video games just making up their own brands is because they don't want to deal with it. It does have one positive effect, though: it makes the work a little more timeless.

8 hours ago, mub said:

Possibly legal, also a possible lawsuit target. Details are important.

When you are talking about a thing it is normally fine to use the name of the thing. is called "nominative use". There are some restrictions, you need to keep the use to the minimum you actually need, and you cannot suggest that they endorse or support your project.

Exactly how and when and where you use the name are important.  If you don't need it, don't use it; that completely avoids the risk.  If you decide to use the name, keep it minimal and unimportant. Remember that they own rights to their trademarks, but the name is still a name and names can be used to refer to the things. 

After you figure that out, it becomes an exercise of risk assessment. What is the likelihood they'll take action? If they do, how much do you want to spend to fight back? If they keep pushing, what is the cost to correct your project?  Even a tiny legal action can destroy most small projects, so consider that in your risk assessments.

Thank you very much for your input.

I will remove every brand, productname or anything similar from my game.

It's not worth it. :-)

On 12/13/2017 at 5:26 AM, mub said:

I've read that it's a bad idea to use brand names in a game.

My game character says "I like the movie Idiocrazy."

Simply referencing a product or service in context generally falls under fair comment (the trademark equivalent to fair use), but bear in mind that companies threaten meritless litigation on a fairly regular basis. The risk is minimal, but any recognizable use of another brand or product in your own may trigger someone's notice. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By get the f***ing pillow man
      HEY GUYS! i'm working on a game based on Adventure Time(cartoon show) but recently found out that i need rights to do it. Well, worked pretty much on the sprites, animations backgrounds and all stuff so it'll be just a lot of time spent for nothing. 
      And I don't want to give up on the game, I'd really love to finish it and publish for some platforms. 
      So may someone help me, what do I gotta do for those rights? How do I publish it legally without breaking any kind of law. Who I need to contact?
      thanks.
    • By Enrique Navarro
      We want, Designers, Software Developers, Artists, Narrators etc... For a video game project. Contact and go to see what we can do. Thanks
    • By nr_clark
      Hi all,
      I'm a developer part of a small team designing a sandbox MMO. It's just a collaborative team (all in the US), meaning that all members just contribute their free time to advance the project. 
      Well, a programmer booted from another (very similar) MMO sandbox project wanted to help out with our own, even after knowing our project was collaborative (I'll call him Bob). According to our current programmer (I'll call him John), Bob has very advanced skills in multiple syntax, and Bob's supposedly-self-made script packages & suggested tweaks to John's existing code have really helped John advance the sandbox mechanics.
      From what the team understands, Bob was rumored to steal code from the other project, after calling the project's other programmer out for being unskilled, and in turn that programmer (who was favorited by the project manager) turned the team against him in the most political fashion. 
      Even though the team was nervous on recruiting Bob, Bob was very pushy about obtaining a programmer role. For now, we've added Bob to the Unity collab to access the project. The project has a git repository setup which keeps all added code intact and secure. 
      I'm just a 3D modeler/sound designer, so while I cannot elaborate on the project's coding specifics, I do know potential implications something like this could cause. Bob's existing script packages could be copyrighted, from what I understand. Also, I felt suspicious when Bob wanted to jump into our project so quickly. If it makes any difference in the legal sense, Bob lives in the UK. What would you recommend would be the best approach to this situation?
      TIA.
    • By hyyou
      Questions :-
      To sell a C++ game library/framework/engine, does it usually have to be open-sourced?  For a C++ template class (real template), it is quite hard not to be open-sourced, correct? If it is open-sourced, how to protect the copyright? How to enforce people to just use it, but not copy? ... I think it is practically very hard, because people can see the source code, and "rewrite" it. Does a shop like Unity's asset store make thing safer?  If so, how? Arrogant assumption :-
      The game library/framework/engine is high-quality, well-documented, and it would be marvellously sell well. Besides some free libraries like Bullet and Ogre, it is developed all by myself. The library/framework/engine is not bound to any legal obligation (e.g. the most restriction is MIT). I have these questions after reading a news  :-
      Muhagames develop a game named Thea Awakening (C#). The company use its own Honey Hex Framework (C#) as a library to develop the game. The company sell Honey Hex Framework via Unity's asset store to boost its financial position. There are also others old examples e.g. Unity itself or Unreal, which is now open-source ... How do they protect it?
      Actually, I don't plan to sell any library. I am just curious.
    • By hpdvs2
      I have several Unity Assets I'm planning to publish through my current employer to the Unity Asset Store.  But I'm worried about legal protection.  I'm not really sure how to protect myself or my company from potential law suits.  Not that I'm expecting them.  
      It seems like I need to hire a lawyer to draft a EULA, but I'm wondering if there is some standard EULA that basically says use at your own risk.  Or if there is an article that talks clearly to this topic.
       - Thanks.
      The products will be 100% self developed code, and self developed models, no fan art  With Source Code included
  • Advertisement