• Advertisement

Unity Critique for newbie game - "Bleeping Bots"

Advertisement
On 2017-12-14 at 1:37 AM, Apollo Cabrera said:

Yasss!!! My first Unity3d game is on the App Store and Google Play.

Download please! About 30 minutes to get through 5 missions.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks a bunch

For a first game its looks good, but definatelly there is a lot of things to improve

15 hours ago, Apollo Cabrera said:

Thanks

I will take any constructive criticism. What do you think would make the game better?

Well, If I were in your place I would Improve graphics a lot, because its looks like placeholders in alpha version, than i would slightly tweak gameplay

Judging by the video, the biggest bang-for-your-buck graphical improvements would be syncing the walking animation to player movement, since the character's feet are currently sliding across the ground (moon walking), and improving the camera, so that it smoothly follows the player as they walk instead of jumping from scene to scene.

I really like the stylised backdrops, and I'd keep those intact, regardless of whether you improve the fidelity of the foreground assets.

3 hours ago, zizulot said:

Well, If I were in your place I would Improve graphics a lot, because its looks like placeholders in alpha version, than i would slightly tweak gameplay

Awesome. What do you think would be the most impactful graphics improvement? I'd love to hear what gameplay tweaks you would do as well.

I'm in the middle of trying to prioritize the numerous improvements I could do next that players would find very cool and engaging and rewarding.

More levels? More enemies? More weapons? More effects? More avatars? More active environment elements?

Thanks

59 minutes ago, swiftcoder said:

Judging by the video, the biggest bang-for-your-buck graphical improvements would be syncing the walking animation to player movement, since the character's feet are currently sliding across the ground (moon walking), and improving the camera, so that it smoothly follows the player as they walk instead of jumping from scene to scene.

I really like the stylised backdrops, and I'd keep those intact, regardless of whether you improve the fidelity of the foreground assets.

Thanks for the moon walking feedback. Need to figure out how to do more than simple force and cylinder rigid body physics to move the avatar around. IK? Probably some google search out there :)

I can definitely add an option to continuously track the avatar with the camera. I had done this, but it always gave me motion sickness.

Thank you for the background comments as well. Going beyond shades of gray doesn't always feel natural. Though black and white and gray would be an interesting level :)

Will keep your suggestions on top of the list.

Thanks for your feedback

unless your selling graphics. you need not be concerned with graphics. your better off not using physics at all . do not use code to do a jump. animate the jump in a 3d program, not in unity. in code or in unity will not be unique. and will not come close, to what can be done in a 3d program. try doing a walk without auto keyframing

6 hours ago, tyree said:

unless your selling graphics. you need not be concerned with graphics. your better off not using physics at all . do not use code to do a jump. animate the jump in a 3d program, not in unity. in code or in unity will not be unique. and will not come close, to what can be done in a 3d program. try doing a walk without auto keyframing

Thanks Tyree. I use Blender to do the animations for walking, running, jumping, etc... I have a cylinder mesh that has a rigid body that the avatar is attached to in unity3d. I apply forces on the xy axis to give velocity to the avatar and robots.

I blend animations between walk, run, idle depending on the velocity of the avatar.

But I definitely plan on revisiting the animations and the blending as well. Not as smooth nor "realistic" as I would like :)

you dont seem to realize this. but giving an object physics turns it into nothing more than a life less block. being moved by math. and that is, what it looks like to the viewer. life less math. that resembles animation in no way. realism has no place in animation. unless your doing a simulation. but a simulation is not animation. architects simulate buildings, lights, weather. when someone tries to recreate an accident. they duplicate/simulate everything to be as real as possible. but that is the absolute, complete opposite of animation

1 hour ago, tyree said:

you dont seem to realize this. but giving an object physics turns it into nothing more than a life less block. being moved by math. and that is, what it looks like to the viewer. life less math. that resembles animation in no way. realism has no place in animation. unless your doing a simulation. but a simulation is not animation. architects simulate buildings, lights, weather. when someone tries to recreate an accident. they duplicate/simulate everything to be as real as possible. but that is the absolute, complete opposite of animation

Thanks for the viewpoint.

Specifically, how would you synchronize the walking / idle / running / jumping animation so that it looks smooth with the location of the avatar. I use physics and blending. How would you do it? Translation? A combination of physics and translation?

I've done non-physics controllers as well...

https://answers.unity.com/questions/282687/which-is-better-for-player-movement-physics-or-tra.html

Thanks

thats simple dont use physics at all. you just need to know when something collides with a surface and to not go thru it. physics is not needed for that

as far as animation have the character run forward, walk forward and jump forward. in your 3d program. do not apply physics once in unity

in truth  motions do not have to be blended, just interesting. they can have hard cuts from one motion to the other. if the motion is interesting, but in your 3d program you could have the character go from idle to walk. idle to run, walk to run. and you would not need to blend it in unity. it would already be done. you just tell it to play

but again you dont need to do this. the motion can have hard cuts. you would simplify the process a great deal. if you seperate the purpose of the engine. from the purpose of the 3d program. the engine is for interactivity, collision, checking distance to trigger an event 

the 3d program is for everything else. build the world, do the animations  add life to everything in general. here is something you probably never considered. in your 3d program animate a bullet going forward. then in your engine, give it tracking code that points it in the direction.of whatever target.

for something like that. its just as easy to do thru code. but what if you want the bullet to go forward then left or right, then make patterns and once its finished attack the target.thats not so simple thru code. but you could animate it 5 minutes. that is what your 3d program is for. to build something no one has seen before. and build it more often than not quickly.

3 hours ago, tyree said:

thats simple dont use physics at all. you just need to know when something collides with a surface and to not go thru it. physics is not needed for that

as far as animation have the character run forward, walk forward and jump forward. in your 3d program. do not apply physics once in unity

in truth  motions do not have to be blended, just interesting. they can have hard cuts from one motion to the other. if the motion is interesting, but in your 3d program you could have the character go from idle to walk. idle to run, walk to run. and you would not need to blend it in unity. it would already be done. you just tell it to play

but again you dont need to do this. the motion can have hard cuts. you would simplify the process a great deal. if you seperate the purpose of the engine. from the purpose of the 3d program. the engine is for interactivity, collision, checking distance to trigger an event 

the 3d program is for everything else. build the world, do the animations  add life to everything in general. here is something you probably never considered. in your 3d program animate a bullet going forward. then in your engine, give it tracking code that points it in the direction.of whatever target.

for something like that. its just as easy to do thru code. but what if you want the bullet to go forward then left or right, then make patterns and once its finished attack the target.thats not so simple thru code. but you could animate it 5 minutes. that is what your 3d program is for. to build something no one has seen before. and build it more often than not quickly.

Tyree, thank you for your input and viewpoint on this. I am definitely in a different place. I won't be able to implement a non-physics / animation at this time. Just trying to make small incremental steps to get the most out of my time and effort :)

Going from Swift to Unity3d was a major change in paradigm for me and it took a year to make the transition and feel competent.

I'll have to try your philosophy on a different game. But I definitely appreciate your input. Thanks!