Critique for newbie game - "Bleeping Bots"

Started by
12 comments, last by Apollo Cabrera 6 years, 3 months ago

Yasss!!! My first Unity3d game is on the App Store and Google Play.

Download please! About 30 minutes to get through 5 missions.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks a bunch :)

Advertisement
On 2017-12-14 at 1:37 AM, Apollo Cabrera said:

Yasss!!! My first Unity3d game is on the App Store and Google Play.

Download please! About 30 minutes to get through 5 missions.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks a bunch

For a first game its looks good, but definatelly there is a lot of things to improve

9 hours ago, zizulot said:

For a first game its looks good, but definatelly there is a lot of things to improve

I will take any constructive criticism. What do you think would make the game better?

15 hours ago, Apollo Cabrera said:

Thanks

I will take any constructive criticism. What do you think would make the game better?

Well, If I were in your place I would Improve graphics a lot, because its looks like placeholders in alpha version, than i would slightly tweak gameplay

Judging by the video, the biggest bang-for-your-buck graphical improvements would be syncing the walking animation to player movement, since the character's feet are currently sliding across the ground (moon walking), and improving the camera, so that it smoothly follows the player as they walk instead of jumping from scene to scene.

I really like the stylised backdrops, and I'd keep those intact, regardless of whether you improve the fidelity of the foreground assets.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

3 hours ago, zizulot said:

Well, If I were in your place I would Improve graphics a lot, because its looks like placeholders in alpha version, than i would slightly tweak gameplay

Awesome. What do you think would be the most impactful graphics improvement? I'd love to hear what gameplay tweaks you would do as well.

I'm in the middle of trying to prioritize the numerous improvements I could do next that players would find very cool and engaging and rewarding.

More levels? More enemies? More weapons? More effects? More avatars? More active environment elements?

Thanks

59 minutes ago, swiftcoder said:

Judging by the video, the biggest bang-for-your-buck graphical improvements would be syncing the walking animation to player movement, since the character's feet are currently sliding across the ground (moon walking), and improving the camera, so that it smoothly follows the player as they walk instead of jumping from scene to scene.

I really like the stylised backdrops, and I'd keep those intact, regardless of whether you improve the fidelity of the foreground assets.

Thanks for the moon walking feedback. Need to figure out how to do more than simple force and cylinder rigid body physics to move the avatar around. IK? Probably some google search out there :)

I can definitely add an option to continuously track the avatar with the camera. I had done this, but it always gave me motion sickness.

Thank you for the background comments as well. Going beyond shades of gray doesn't always feel natural. Though black and white and gray would be an interesting level :)

Will keep your suggestions on top of the list.

Thanks for your feedback

unless your selling graphics. you need not be concerned with graphics. your better off not using physics at all . do not use code to do a jump. animate the jump in a 3d program, not in unity. in code or in unity will not be unique. and will not come close, to what can be done in a 3d program. try doing a walk without auto keyframing

6 hours ago, tyree said:

unless your selling graphics. you need not be concerned with graphics. your better off not using physics at all . do not use code to do a jump. animate the jump in a 3d program, not in unity. in code or in unity will not be unique. and will not come close, to what can be done in a 3d program. try doing a walk without auto keyframing

Thanks Tyree. I use Blender to do the animations for walking, running, jumping, etc... I have a cylinder mesh that has a rigid body that the avatar is attached to in unity3d. I apply forces on the xy axis to give velocity to the avatar and robots.

I blend animations between walk, run, idle depending on the velocity of the avatar.

But I definitely plan on revisiting the animations and the blending as well. Not as smooth nor "realistic" as I would like :)

you dont seem to realize this. but giving an object physics turns it into nothing more than a life less block. being moved by math. and that is, what it looks like to the viewer. life less math. that resembles animation in no way. realism has no place in animation. unless your doing a simulation. but a simulation is not animation. architects simulate buildings, lights, weather. when someone tries to recreate an accident. they duplicate/simulate everything to be as real as possible. but that is the absolute, complete opposite of animation

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement