• Advertisement
matt77hias

Running x86 build crashes

1 hour ago, Juliean said:

Did you check the call stack that is shown with your minidump? That seems to point to a very concrete location, and should probably allow you to spot the error (which seems to relate to eigther vector pushback or your ModelPart-move-ctor).

The call stack seems not to make much sense (it also does not match the error location in the editor: at the final } of a not used header). My ModelPart looks something like this:

struct alignas(16) ModelPart final {
	AABB m_aabb; // 2x XMVECTOR = 2x __m128; AABB uses alignas(16)
	BS m_bs;     // 1x XMVECTOR = 1x __m128; BS uses alignas(16)
	F32x3 m_translation;
	F32x3 m_rotation; 
	F32x3 m_scale;
	U32 m_start_index;
	U32 m_nb_indices;
	std::string m_child;
	std::string m_parent;
	std::string m_material;
}

The __m128 do not impose a problem, if I disable intrinsics and use 4x floats instead of __m128, the crash persists. Furthermore, the copy/move constructors and copy/move assignment operators are all present but made explicitly default.

The AddModelPart method looks like this:

template < typename VertexT >
inline void ModelOutput< VertexT >::AddModelPart(ModelPart model_part, bool create_bounding_volumes) {
    m_model_parts.push_back(std::move(model_part));

if (create_bounding_volumes) {
        SetupBoundingVolumes(m_model_parts.back());
    }
}

which is invoked by:

template < typename VertexT >
void MDLReader< VertexT >::ReadMDLSubModel() {
    ModelPart model_part;
    //
    // Reading ...
    // 
    m_model_output.AddModelPart(std::move(model_part));
}

With regard to the std::vector, I use my own allocator to ensure the alignment of 16 bytes. Though, if I just use std::vector, the program crashes at the same location with the same error.

Edited by matt77hias

Advertisement

One thing worth noting, is that on x86 the standard Windows memory allocator only returns 8 bytes aligned memory. On x64 it's 16 byte aligned. That could be causing you problems. I'd suggest overriding global operator new and delete (don't forget the array and nothrow variants) to use _aligned_malloc() to force 16 byte alignment for everything.

Having said that, if you want to debug a crash in optimized code, then what you really need to be looking at is the disassembly.

I'd also recommend using the /Zo compiler option (which requires edit and continue to be disabled).

In addition, you want to disable the "just my code" option. This will let you see more details on what's going on as you have some external code in your crash callstack.

I also wouldn't fully trust the diagnosis of "_that is 0x1". I have seen incorrect messages there before, especially for uncommon crash reasons like data misalignment. Looking at the assembly instruction that it crashed on, and the registers used to calculate the memory address that it's accessing can give a more reliable answer.

If you're not familiar with reading x86 assembly, then I found a basic guide at: http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs216/guides/x86.html. You probably won't need to read past the section on data movement instructions to get started with debugging your crash. If need be you could, post the contents of the disassembly window and registers window here for someone else to look at.

36 minutes ago, Adam_42 said:

One thing worth noting, is that on x86 the standard Windows memory allocator only returns 8 bytes aligned memory. On x64 it's 16 byte aligned. That could be causing you problems. I'd suggest overriding global operator new and delete (don't forget the array and nothrow variants) to use _aligned_malloc() to force 16 byte alignment for everything.

I added these to some TU, but the problem remains.

void *operator new(size_t size) {
    void * const ptr = _aligned_malloc(size, 16);
    if (!ptr) {
        throw std::bad_alloc();
    }

return ptr;
}

void operator delete(void *ptr) noexcept {
	_aligned_free(ptr);
}

void *operator new[](size_t size) {
    return operator new(size);
}

void operator delete[](void *ptr) noexcept {
    operator delete(ptr);
}

Edited by matt77hias

36 minutes ago, Adam_42 said:

I'd also recommend using the /Zo compiler option (which requires edit and continue to be disabled).

I do not find the exact documentation for Visual Studio 2017. Visual Studio 2015:

The /Zo option is enabled by default in Visual Studio 2015 when you specify debugging information with /Zi or /Z7. 
Specify /Zo- to explicitly disable this compiler option.

I use /Zi for my release builds, so I presume /Zo will be included.

39 minutes ago, Adam_42 said:

In addition, you want to disable the "just my code" option. This will let you see more details on what's going on as you have some external code in your crash callstack.

I now use my own Allocator in std::vector. The external calls are now replaced by the construct of my Allocator etc.:

template< typename DataU, typename... ConstructorArgsT >
void construct(DataU *data, ConstructorArgsT&&... args) const {
    new ((void *)data) DataU(std::forward< ConstructorArgsT >(args)...);
}

m_model_output.AddModelPart(std::move(model_part));
00E0B299  lea         ecx,[ebp-1A0h]  
00E0B29F  lea         eax,[model_part]  
00E0B2A5  push        eax  
00E0B2A6  call        mage::ModelPart::ModelPart (0E0BC30h)  
00E0B2AB  mov         edi,1  
00E0B2B0  mov         dword ptr [ebp-0D8h],eax  
00E0B2B6  mov         dword ptr [ebp-0D4h],edi  
00E0B2BC  mov         esi,dword ptr [esi+44h]  
00E0B2BF  push        edi  
00E0B2C0  lea         ecx,[esi+24h]  
00E0B2C3  mov         byte ptr [ebp-4],4  
00E0B2C7  call        std::vector<mage::ModelPart,mage::AlignedAllocator<mage::ModelPart,16> >::emplace_back<mage::ModelPart> (0E0C340h)  // CALL
00E0B2CC  cmp         byte ptr [ebp-0D8h],0  
00E0B2D3  je          mage::loader::MDLReader<mage::VertexPositionNormalTexture,unsigned int>::ReadMDLSubModel+1D5h (0E0B2E5h)  
00E0B2D5  mov         eax,dword ptr [esi+2Ch]  
00E0B2D8  mov         ecx,esi  
00E0B2DA  sub         eax,0B0h  
00E0B2DF  push        eax  
00E0B2E0  call        mage::ModelOutput<mage::VertexPositionNormalTexture,unsigned int>::SetupBoundingVolumes (0E0C510h)  
00E0B2E5  lea         ecx,[edi+8Ch]  
00E0B2EB  call        std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >::_Tidy_deallocate (0E03BB0h)  
00E0B2F0  lea         ecx,[edi+74h]  
00E0B2F3  call        std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >::_Tidy_deallocate (0E03BB0h)  
00E0B2F8  lea         ecx,[edi+5Ch]  
00E0B2FB  call        std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >::_Tidy_deallocate (0E03BB0h)  
    }
00E0B300  lea         ecx,[ebp-44h]  
00E0B303  call        std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >::_Tidy_deallocate (0E03BB0h)  
00E0B308  lea         ecx,[ebp-5Ch]  
00E0B30B  call        std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >::_Tidy_deallocate (0E03BB0h)  
00E0B310  lea         ecx,[ebp-74h]  
00E0B313  call        std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >::_Tidy_deallocate (0E03BB0h)  
00E0B318  mov         ecx,dword ptr [ebp-0Ch]  
00E0B31B  mov         dword ptr fs:[0],ecx  
00E0B322  pop         ecx  
00E0B323  pop         edi  
00E0B324  pop         esi  
00E0B325  mov         ecx,dword ptr [ebp-14h]  
00E0B328  xor         ecx,ebp  
00E0B32A  call        __security_check_cookie (0E753B0h)  
00E0B32F  mov         esp,ebp  
00E0B331  pop         ebp  
00E0B332  mov         esp,ebx  
00E0B334  pop         ebx  
00E0B335  ret 

Then we get in the std::vector::emplace_back and allocator part: 

_Umove_if_noexcept(this->_Myfirst(), this->_Mylast(), _Newvec);
>> 00E0C3F6  mov         edx,dword ptr [esi+8]  
00E0C3F9  xor         al,al  
00E0C3FB  push        ecx  
00E0C3FC  push        eax  
00E0C3FD  push        ecx  
00E0C3FE  mov         ecx,dword ptr [esi+4]  
00E0C401  push        edi  
00E0C402  call        std::_Uninitialized_move_al_unchecked<mage::ModelPart *,mage::ModelPart *,mage::AlignedAllocator<mage::ModelPart,16> > (0E0D5B0h)  
            _CATCH_ALL
            if (_Emplaced)
                {
                _Alty_traits::destroy(_Al, _Unfancy(_Newvec + _Oldsize));
                }

_Al.deallocate(_Newvec, _Newcapacity);
            _RERAISE;
            _CATCH_END

And apparently, we end up at a location which has nothing to do with all the previous code:

--- d:\users\matthias\documents\visual studio 2017\projects\mage\mage\fps\src\samples\brdf\brdf_scene.cpp 
}
00E0BC30  push        ebp  
00E0BC31  mov         ebp,esp  
00E0BC33  mov         edx,dword ptr [__that]  
>> 00E0BC36  movups      xmm0,xmmword ptr [edx] 

I need some more time getting somewhat familiar with x86. But if anyone wants to take a look, be my guest :)

Edited by matt77hias

8 hours ago, matt77hias said:

00E0BC33  mov         edx,dword ptr [__that]

>> 00E0BC36  movups      xmm0,xmmword ptr [edx] 

Those two instructions load the edx register with the contents of the "__that" parameter to the ModelPart move constructor, and then load 16 bytes from there into xmm0. It looks like that's where it has crashed.

That isn't going to be an alignment issue, as movups (as opposed to movaps) won't crash for misaligned addresses. I'm thinking that the contents of __that is actually NULL, or otherwise an invalid pointer. You can check what the pointer is by looking at the contents of the edx register at the point it crashes.

However, since it's a reference, and not a pointer, it really shouldn't be NULL. Could your custom allocator have returned nullptr?

8 hours ago, Adam_42 said:

Those two instructions load the edx register with the contents of the "__that" parameter to the ModelPart move constructor, and then load 16 bytes from there into xmm0. It looks like that's where it has crashed.

That isn't going to be an alignment issue, as movups (as opposed to movaps) won't crash for misaligned addresses. I'm thinking that the contents of __that is actually NULL, or otherwise an invalid pointer. You can check what the pointer is by looking at the contents of the edx register at the point it crashes.

However, since it's a reference, and not a pointer, it really shouldn't be NULL. Could your custom allocator have returned nullptr?

In case of nullptr, I would expect a bad_alloc exception earlier. I am going to double check that anyway. The problem, unfortunately, occurs with the default allocator of std::vector as well. I thought a custom one would fix the issue, since std::vector is not guaranteed to ensure the correct alignment.

I also don't get why instructions of brdf_scene.cpp (last snippet) are executed? Based on the code flow, this part should not and cannot be reached at this stage?

Does the possible nullptr also explain the 0x1 address in the error message?

BTW: a merry Christmas to you!

Not sure if thats already been suggested or tested, but this totally sounds like a memory-misaccess happening at some earlier point, resulting at a crash later with a corrupted call stack. Try the usual tools for finding heap-corruptions (ie. microsoft application verifier) or turn on the debug pageheap (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2470131/visual-studio-how-to-find-source-of-heap-corruption-errors) if all else fails.

I am on a phone on a plane so please forgive my brevity!

Do some research about COMDAT folding. Debug builds hold your hand a LOT and debugging a release build requires giving up on the cushy life of debug land ;-)

Look at your move semantic implementations if you have any constructors, copy/assign/move operators, etc. anywhere near the faulty object types. I see a lot of folks crashing C++11 and later because they didn't do their homework on move semantics. The VC++2015 implementation in particular is extremely unforgiving if you don't follow the spec very exactly. Even if you don't think you are making move mistakes, you may be wrong.

Also listen to Adam_42, he is probably right about you passing a bogus pointer around. Small address values in a read access violation are basically always down to nullptr at some level, at least on Windows. Don't fall into the trap of thinking nullptr means 0.

Also when you get a callstack in the debugger that you don't understand (or really anything any time that you don't understand) please DO NOT ASSUME it is wrong, useless, or not worth including in your post. Challenge your assumptions and learn, don't turn into that person who assumes computers are magic.

On 12/25/2017 at 12:30 AM, Adam_42 said:

edx is 1.

On 12/25/2017 at 12:30 AM, Adam_42 said:

On 12/25/2017 at 9:03 AM, matt77hias said:

In case of nullptr, I would expect a bad_alloc exception earlier. I am going to double check that anyway. The problem, unfortunately, occurs with the default allocator of std::vector as well. I thought a custom one would fix the issue, since std::vector is not guaranteed to ensure the correct alignment.

The pointer passed for construction to the allocator is non-nullptr.

Edited by matt77hias